PDA

View Full Version : New Detailer, Need some suggestions

thatllbuffout
06-18-2008, 10:37 PM
Hey all, been reading the forums for a while now, but only just registered.

Anyways, I`ve never done much detailing outside of throwing some NXT wax on my car. Recently I received some detailing products for my birthday, and I want to put together a nice regiment for my car. Since I`m new I want to keep this all OTC and want to stick with Mothers.

Anyways, on to it. It`s a 2006 Subaru Impreza Steel Grey. I try to wash it often, and is parked outside. It only has very minor swirl marks and no major scratches. I might have access to a rotary but will probably have to do all this by hand :(

Step1: Hand Wash

Step2: Claybar

Step3: Mothers Phase 1 Pre Wax Cleaner

Step4: Mothers Phase 2 Sealant + Glaze (do I need to let this cure?)

For step 5 I received a tin of Mothers Carnauba Cleaner Wax, would this be defeating the purpose of the previous steps to use this?

Step6: Mothers Pure Carnauba Wax (or if step 5 is ok to do, would this not be needed?)

I`d like to maintain this schedule once a year

As for every couple months, would a good wash followed by the cleaner wax be sufficient to maintain it?

Thank you for bearing with this, and thanks for any help.

thatllbuffout
06-19-2008, 03:22 PM
Anyone? Did I go too in depth? Just want to know if the gurus out there think that this would work or if I`m missing any important steps. thanks!

CAPRICE87
06-19-2008, 03:37 PM
Hey there. I am also a novice when it comes to detailing but I will do my best to help out. Hopefully a more experienced member will correct me or add on. But anyways, I would say skip step 5 (the cleaner wax is a one step solution which with my experiences dont work very well but have decent protection). If you already have the pre-cleaner and sealant I would suggest laying on the pure nuba afterwards. If you are new I would stay away from the sealant though and just polish for now. The reason for this is you may have some swirls if doing this by hand and the sealant will just lock them in. Harbor Freight has a cheap rotary but surprises me with its performance. I had it for over 2 years now and it works like a champ still (only cost around $25). It comes with everything you need to get started. Hopefully I was a help to you. Good luck

CAPRICE87
06-19-2008, 04:06 PM
Another thing to point out is if you decide on getting a rotary be very carefull on edges and painted plastic. I would stay away from rotary on painted plastic if you have never used one. Also keep the rpms at 1200and under for your first time and work in the shade. Shade is a key factor in correcting your swirls and making good use of your wax, etc. Hope this helps