PDA

View Full Version : Frustrating Day...

ktorres1120
06-18-2008, 09:52 PM
So today I detailed an 07 Toyota Camry in Black and had a horrible day! Lucky for me the interior wasn`t that bad so I can concentrate on the exterior, but man, I didn`t make much progress at all. I really think that my problem is my pads and products. I`ve seen many threads here with people using PC`s correcting paint left and right! I know these are experienced detailers, but I`m not getting anywhere with my rotary. I was hoping to at least reduce the swirls but everything failed.

Ok I`m having problems posting my pics because they are too large but here is the rotary I have:

http://img2.freeimagehosting.net/uploads/b977006e87.jpg (http://www.freeimagehosting.net/)

Can anyone tell me what pads I should have with this. It comes with the wool cutting pad and wool polishing pad but I was getting crazy holograms with the wool pads and also it didn`t remove the swirls or scratches.

I tried to search but couldn`t find any definite answers as to what pads I should get. Or should I just sell it and go with a PC? Maybe the Sonus UDM?

So if anyone can help, I"m ordering the Sonus Perfect Shine Kit for my products and need to know what foam pads I should have and where I can find them.

Thank you for all your help!

trodd69
06-26-2008, 01:47 PM
Hey there,

I too ordered the Perfect Shine Kit and I`m really happy with it. I ordered three pads to go with it - the ones from autopia-carcare - one each of green, blue and orange. The orange is the firmest and goes with SFX 1 from the kit. Then you use the green pad with SFX 2 and follow up with the blue polishing pad to apply the Klasse all in one.

I`m using these with a random orbit sander from screwfix which cost me £20 and comes with a 12 month guarantee. There must be some equivalent where you are. As a professional user of all kinds of power tools I can tell that for what I`m doing the machine will never wear out so you don`t necessarily need to spend too much, before you`re sure which route to take.

I`m still within the 10 first posts limit but once I can I will post a before and after pic of my swirls.

VroomVroom
06-26-2008, 02:23 PM
First, I can relate to the rotary learning curve...for whatever reason(s) I`m struggling a bit and have been using my PC w/ 4" pads instead. Second, getting swirls out of Toyota clearcoats isn`t easy. So...don`t beat yourself up, at least just yet. :lol

What products did you use, and at what speeds on the rotary? That might help the experienced folks give you some solid advice...

imported_weekendwarrior
06-26-2008, 03:46 PM
I think it should almost be a "sticky" that new rotary users should start out with the 1Z Intensive Paste and 1Z High Gloss Polish. These are designed to work between 700-1000 rpm, and if you are careful, you are much less likely to get in trouble with the rotary since you are working at lower speeds.

Personally, I would buy a LC Purple foamed wool, and a Yellow Meguiar`s foam pad to use with the Intensive Paste. Obviously the foamed wool pad will be more agressive, but at least you`d have a couple of pads to play with to dial in the right process with the Intensive Paste.

In terms of the High Gloss Polish, I`d use it with either a Meguiar`s yellow foam, or LC White foam. I`d even have a LC grey (or some call it black) to use if the paint is on the softer side, and may finish better with the grey pad.

Lastly, remember light pressure the first couple of passes with each polish, then lighten up until you are finishing the series of passes with only the weight of the buffer.

** Remember to tape up the car well, especially if you are a new rotary user. Hope this helps.

ktorres1120
06-26-2008, 04:47 PM
Ok thanks for everyone`s help in this. I was about to sell my rotary and just get a PC but I think I just need to get a variety of pads and the right products. I`m going to order some stuff soon as I don`t think any place sells these pads OTC.

ktorres1120
06-26-2008, 05:05 PM
Ok so I`m definitely going to order the Sonus Perfect Shine Kit but can anyone help with what pads I need to get for my MAKITA # 9227C POLISHER? Here is the link to a detail supply place in my area so I`d like to get them here.

Auto Detailing Buffers - Car Polishers - High Speed Buffers - Orbital Polishers (http://www.detailsupplyoutlet.com/auto-detailing-clay-12.htm)

Or I can order from Autopia but I`m not sure on the size pad I need to fit it. I have that velcro backing plate on it.

Thanks!

ktorres1120
07-11-2008, 02:02 PM
Bump for the last post on here. I"m gonna order some pads today but don`t know what size fits my Makita?