PDA

View Full Version : polish/pad combo question

pampos
06-18-2008, 03:45 PM
This is a general question . .Which combo has more cutting power...A medium cut polish on a cutting pad or a heavy cut polish on a polishing pad??

jwgarrison
06-18-2008, 07:32 PM
I would say a medium cut polish on a cutting pad, just because most of your cut comes from your pad, IMO.

Accumulator
06-19-2008, 10:16 AM
I would say a medium cut polish on a cutting pad, just because most of your cut comes from your pad, IMO.

Heh heh, and *I* generally take the opposite view (wool pads notwithstanding) :D

With foam pads, I`d much rather use a harsh product on a milder pad. IMO the primary advantage of many cutting pads is that the more open porosity is just better suited to grittier/heavier compounds and the firm foam is better suited to aggressive handling. As long as the pad lets the product do it`s job, that`s all I ask for; I don`t expect the foam pad itself to contribute much cut.

I never like the results from using a medium product on a cutting pad, and I *do* like the results from using harsh products on medium pads (which I do all the time).

Nah... this isn`t some big :argue topic as it`s not really an either/or thing: *both* the pad and product contribute. And my leaning towards the *product* making the difference could just be a matter of *which* products I use. Stuff like the OCP is pad-dependent, but stuff like my 3M/1Z is much less so.

Scottwax
06-19-2008, 10:32 AM
What Accumulator said.

pampos
06-19-2008, 10:58 AM
What Accumulator said.

This is what i thought but i was wondering if using the same `firm` product if i can say that.

For example Megs #83 on a polishing pad and Megs #80 on a cutting pad...

Accumulator
06-19-2008, 11:09 AM
This is what i thought but i was wondering if using the same `firm` product if i can say that.

For example Megs #83 on a polishing pad and Megs #80 on a cutting pad...

The #83 on a polishing pad will work fine, but the #80 on a cutting pad isn`t very good. It can leave micromarring and the pad doesn`t make the #80 cut any better.

I never try to "force" a pad to cut more by using a more aggressive pad and the #80 simply doesn`t have much cut. It works best with medium and mild pads.

Using a polishing pad with the #83 can help it finish out much nicer, and is IMO a good idea if it`s still aggressive enough to get the marring out.

SuperBee364
06-19-2008, 11:12 AM
What Accumulator said.

Yup.

105 and 95 are great examples of this. You do get some additional cutting power when you use them with heavier cut pads, but not alot.

Scottwax
06-19-2008, 11:19 AM
I`ve always found that increasing the aggressiveness of the polish rather than the pad leaves less marring and holograms and has the same defect removal ability.

6ces
06-20-2008, 01:55 AM
sorry to hijack a little, but for those who have used the zaino polish, what pad do you guys find works the best? and by best i mean still gives a good amount of cut and leaves a good finish. im asking because i want something thats one step. the swirls and hazing on my car are not serious enough for me to need multiple steps.

Accumulator
06-21-2008, 02:55 PM
6ces- Your inquiry is a bit vague as a lot of Zaino products are called "polishes".

But only polishing and finishing pads (and not always the former) can be expected to leave a nice finish, and getting much correction with those can be tricky. Honestly, when somebody says "swirls and hazing" I think it probably needs quite a bit of work...even very minor marring that`s almost invisible often takes more work than people expect.

6ces
06-21-2008, 03:35 PM
sorry, i forgot zaino calls their sealants polishes. by polish i meant zpc.

Accumulator
06-22-2008, 09:51 AM

Ah,OK...can`t help with that one. But I`d expect it to be too mild for use with orange/etc. cutting pads, just quessing though. There seems to be a recent trend here for people to "over pad" their mild products and then wonder why it doesn`t work, so to counter that I`m inclined to think that when it doubt, assume products like ZPC oughta use polishing or finishing pads.

Scottwax
06-22-2008, 10:59 AM

Via PC, use the orange pad. Doesn`t seem to work as well with softer pads for some reason. I`ve never used it with the rotary but others who have say it doesn`t work well with the rotary. Seems to be a DA buffer designed product.