PDA

View Full Version : 2001 Dakota with bad oxidation

gorac
06-18-2008, 02:36 PM
I have a 2001 Dodge Dakota with heavy oxidation on the cab. I also have several small scratches on the sides, a small patch on the hood that is starting to oxidize and the paint feels rough (even after a wax). The small scratches im not to worried about but the starting oxidation and the sever oxidation i want to get rid of. As of right now i have no tools, or waxes, and *sigh* little money. What should i do?:bowhttp://img337.imageshack.us/img337/1536/cabml4.jpg

volvie!
06-19-2008, 04:20 PM
Hi go rac,

I`m not an expert, but I had a 1992 Chevy truck that looked the same-- I think it may be clear coat failure. As a newer member, I cannot yet post links without the post going through moderation, but try searching for clear coat failure on this forum.

Hope that helps.

Frito Bandito
06-19-2008, 04:25 PM
That`s clear coat failure unfortunately. The only fix is a repaint. :(

Bunky
06-19-2008, 04:45 PM
I had my 97 Dakota repainted. It did the same thing.

volvie!
06-19-2008, 05:09 PM
Well, now that the more experienced folk have confirmed it is a case of clear coat failure, I`ll tell you what I did (as I did not have the money to repaint my truck either):

My truck was a charcoal grey color that had clear coat failure on the roof before I bought it and, instead of multiple areas of failure as on your truck, mine was just a very big area-- shaped like a sunroof and in the same general area as a sunroof, but smaller in size than a real sunroof.

My solution did not improve the area, but it did prevent it from getting worse, and I had the truck for about five or six years. The truck was a daily driver and was always parked outside.

All I did was wash the truck with a nice car soap (I use Meguiars) and then followed it up with a coat of Turtle Wax. The truck was not washed on a consistent schedule, but varied anywhere from 1-3 times/month. I would apply the wax at least once a month, or whenever it "looked like" it needed it.

Again, nothing fancy, but the areas of failure did not get any larger or any worse with this treatment. The paint on your truck may be different, but play around with some products and see if you can prevent the area from expanding...

Take care.

gorac
06-28-2008, 01:49 PM
ouch clear coat failure. i was afraid it was going to need new paint. its pretty much the entire cab is gone then. Anyone know a place to get a paint job in sacramento for a good price. i would rather not go to maaco or any similar places as i hear there paint jobs last a year or two