PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else getting slow, due to high fuel cost/economy?

Pages : [1] 2

bdaly84
06-18-2008, 11:33 AM
One thing is for sure, my phone is definalty not ringing like it always has. Even my regulars have cut back from seeing them every two weeks to almost just once a month. Even the "well off customers" have dropped back slightly. Anyone else feeling the reduction in work? I have never advertised much (back of the truck) but my business has been based on referrals. My demographic area is mostly high-end, so I would think the economy wouldn`t be a factor. Some of my regulars have been with over four years.

I know my wife and I have cut back on a lot of things. My detailing business is just part time, but its still part of my yearly income. My 50 hour a week salary position is in trucking and warehousing. Our company is paying upwards of $10,000 a day in fuel cost. So I know we are taking it in the shorts, but the fuel costs are being past on to the customers, and then eventually the consumers. Are fuel surcharges are upwards of 50-60%. So everyone is feeling the fuel crunch.

Hows everyone else holding up???

dbesins
06-18-2008, 11:52 AM
sorry to hear that bdaly84 I would have taught high end customers wouldn t be affected by the economy. But I am sure the more you go high end the more the demand is inelastic in regards to economy. You could try to start advertising to higher end customers...

hope this helps good luck!

2k2blackWRX
06-18-2008, 12:57 PM
We always slow down the first few weeks of June, seems to coincide with many family vacations as well as high school letting out.

EcoAutoCT
06-18-2008, 01:03 PM
It seems that lately I get more RV/Marine owners calling than car owners.

I think that if they can`t afford the gas for a road trip, they at least want that 35FT monster to look clean sitting in their driveway all summer long.

BigAl3
06-18-2008, 01:07 PM
the cost of gas is effecting everyone in one way or another... :(

DaGonz
06-18-2008, 01:11 PM
My detailing venture is a part time "paying hobby" ( pays for vacations and flight lessons). I haven`t seen any changes in my business.

snowskate
06-18-2008, 02:12 PM
I thought you meant, "are you guys driving slower on the streets now that gas it rediculous".

Slower acceleration, sticking to speed limits = better MPGs.

jswift2000
06-18-2008, 03:58 PM
Slower acceleration, sticking to speed limits = better MPGs.

Very true. I stay b/t 65-70 on the hyw and avg 31-33 mpg in my TL.

Scottwax
06-18-2008, 06:49 PM
I`m getting slammed. 4 calls today that turned into appointments. Only thing that ever hurts me is the weather, other than a 6 week slowdown right after 9/11.

imported_JoshVette
06-18-2008, 07:02 PM
I`m getting slammed. 4 calls today that turned into appointments. Only thing that ever hurts me is the weather, other than a 6 week slowdown right after 9/11.

I`m with Scott, I just set up 3 more today and currently booked solid till July 4th and my wife won`t let me detail on that day otherwise it would be booked too....:argue:LOLOL

Josh

2k2blackWRX
06-18-2008, 07:12 PM
I`m with Scott, I just set up 3 more today and currently booked solid till July 4th and my wife won`t let me detail on that day otherwise it would be booked too....:argue:LOLOL

Josh

Looks like things are good in Texas... I wish we had the weather that TX has. We are doing normal for our shop, we just moved from a 1 bay garage to a 300 Sq Ft building and are under a different name about 20 mins away from our old shop and on a main road that rush hour traffic into and out of Pittsburgh travels on. Since we have only been here since december we are working on growing our customer base. We have seen many more higher end customers and many of our cars are >50k vehicles now. With that said, the rainy weather does hurt.

imported_gators241987
06-18-2008, 07:15 PM
Ive noticed that it has weeded out the normal DD crowd, the high end is still there, but the mini vans and honda crowd is starting to dwindle. Which I guess is a blessing in itself, because most of them dont want the highest level detail, aka, the most money making.

Driven Auto Detail
06-18-2008, 07:25 PM
I`ve been meaning to post this exact same thread! I`ve been in business less than a year so I don`t have a huge following yet, but just in the last month, the new customer phone calls have dropped dramatically. Gas prices are the only thing I can think because I`m getting good feedback from the people I`ve detailed for. I went from getting 3-4 phone calls a day during the spring, to getting 3-4 phone calls a week this month.

bdaly84
06-19-2008, 04:19 AM
Hey guys, I`m moving to Texas. :bigups

After I posted this thread yesterday, my phone rang last evening and I got three more appt`s myself. It just seemed odd this last month or so the reduction in calls or inquiries.

I agree with 2K2blackWRX, that vacations and school letting out could have something to do with it. I just dont ever remeber in last 4 years I`ve been in business, it ever slowing down as much as it has in the last month or so....ever since the gas spiked to $3.80-$4.00/gal.

Eventhough my business is part-time, I still have to say that I`m gald I`m mobile and don`t have to worry about a fix location with bigger overhead. One plus of being mobile.

On the positive side of the gas price and economy, hopefully it will ween out the hacks in my area!!

imported_Jakerooni
06-23-2008, 08:51 AM
I haven`t had a single day off since the beginning of March and I`m up in Michigan. I actually just had to hire more help because I`m getting burnt out on all the work lately. there have been somedays that`ve I`ve only had 2 or 3 details to get out instead of 4 or 5 details. But I haven`t had a day off in months..