PDA

View Full Version : I need some help with black and what/how to use.

Brett K
06-17-2008, 08:14 PM
Hi everyone. I used to visit the forums a few years ago and learned alot. Unfortunately I forgot most of it.:cry: A marriage and two kids will do that to ya. So, here is the deal. I just bought a black Honda Ridgeline, that the dealer was nice enough to prep for me. Ugh! Plenty of swirls. I still have some detailing supplies which I will list. Please help me come up with a plan. I want to get started, so here is what I have and my plan of attack. If I need to add something, it will need to be over the counter. I plan on using my PC

1 I picked up a Meguiars kit with two clay bars and spray detailer.

2. Meguiars Dual Action Cleaner Polish or 3m 39009 for dark colors with a CCS orange pad (light cutting)

3. Klasse AIO or Wolfgang polish or S100 prewax cleaner with CCS white polishing pad

4. Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant or 3M professional finish by hand or black CCS pad

5. S100 or Pinnacle SS2 by hand

The only quick detailer I have is what came in the Meguiars kit. What are your opinions? Should I pick up a different QD? Any advice on application? It has been a while since I worked with the Klasse or WOlfgang stuff. How long do I wait should I wait to do more Wolfgang or topcoat with something else? Any help would be appreciated.

Accumulator
06-18-2008, 10:36 AM
Hi everyone. I used to visit the forums a few years ago and learned alot...

Welcome back. Let me critique your plan to hopefully help make things go better and easier. Gotta be OTC huh :think:

Check the yellow pages for a local autobody/paint supply place. THAT is the way to shop for detailing stuff OTC :D

2. Meguiars Dual Action Cleaner Polish or 3m 39009 for dark colors with a CCS orange pad (light cutting)

The #83 DACP is OK with the orange pad, and will do some correction. But the 39009 is too mild for that pad and really does more concealing than anything else.

After the #83 you`ll need a finer product on a softer pad. Now that the old 3M PI-III MG 05937 is getting hard to find, I *think* I`d recommend Meguiar`s #80. The autobody/paint supply place will have it or can order it. OR see if they have a similar product they can recommend. Mother`s Power Polish comes to mind but I`ve never tried it.

3. Klasse AIO or Wolfgang polish or S100 prewax cleaner with CCS white polishing pad

Those are too mild for use directly after the #83/orange. And they`ll probably reveal some filled marring if you do the work with products like the Meguiar`s (let alone the 3M 39009. Here is where I`d start to rethink your approach. If you decide to use them (and your sealants), do the extra step of polishing to get things really, really nice before you do this step.

4. Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant or 3M professional finish by hand or black CCS pad

Noting that I use sealants on two of our vehicles, I wouldn`t go that route on your black truck. Too hard to get it good enough for a sealant, too hard to keep it that way. No advantages over what I really recommend: Collinite brand wax (available OTC at various places like autoparts stores, boating stores, Harbor Freight).

5. S100 or Pinnacle SS2 by hand

Eh, I`d just use the Collinite, which will last/shed dirt/protect a lot better.

The only quick detailer I have is what came in the Meguiars kit. What are your opinions? Should I pick up a different QD? Any advice on application? It has been a while since I worked with the Klasse or WOlfgang stuff. How long do I wait should I wait to do more Wolfgang or topcoat with something else? Any help would be appreciated.

Perhaps the Meguiar`s Ultimate QD would be to your liking. I`d order some FK425, but I doubt you`ll find it OTC.

If you do use the sealants, I`d wait a day between coats and also at least close to that long before topping.

I`d go for at least four coats of the sealant otherwise you`d be a lot better off with just one coat of Collinite.

Actually, I don`t top my sealants as I like to layer on more sealant later and you can`t do that if you top it with wax.

Sorry about all the "do it differently" advice :o But I really think you need to keep this manageable.

Brett K
06-18-2008, 12:06 PM
OK, so maybe something like #83 orange pad, #80 white pad, then AIO for the prep. I do have some Collinite, but I usually use it for pre-winter detailing.What about thye Meg`s GD? Is ther another QD available OTC compatible with layering a synthetic like Wolfgang?

Accumulator
06-18-2008, 12:46 PM
OK, so maybe something like #83 orange pad, #80 white pad, then AIO for the prep...

Yeah, that sounds like a great plan :xyxthumbs

Just watch and see if the AIO uncovers something that the #80 had been concealing.

..What about thye Meg`s GD? Is ther another QD available OTC compatible with layering a synthetic like Wolfgang?

Sorry, I dunno...I`m not very helpful with OTC stuff :nixweiss

Brett K
06-18-2008, 02:55 PM
I ended up getting the Mothers Power Polish. They were out of Meg`s #80.

Bunky
06-18-2008, 05:17 PM
Power Polish is not easy to find OTC. Where did you get it?

Brett K
06-18-2008, 08:12 PM
A local chain of auto parts stores called A&A.They carry a bunch of Mothers and Meguiars Professional line products.