PDA

View Full Version : Any advice for getting the first customers?

Buegie
06-17-2008, 07:18 AM
I`ve been on the detailing forums on Vortex for a while but now I decided to join up on Autopia as well.

I`ve been detailing cars for family/friends for a little while now but this summer I`d like to try to do a couple cars per week professionally. I know alot of you guys on here have big businesses with employees and such. However, I`m just looking to do a few cars on the side in order to make a little extra money.

Any advice for making the transition between doing cars for family to doing them for strangers? It just seems like I`ll have a tough time finding people who are willing to pay ~$200 for a full detail

imported_weekendwarrior
06-17-2008, 07:54 AM
I think I do what you are wanting to do. I am a ligit company, with insurance, and I do 1-2 cars per week. I get most people from word of mouth. I also go to cruise ins and car shows (and take business cards) and talk to guys there. At cruise ins, guys pull in with cars that they obviously care about, so you know they are open to paying for "only the best" for them. Most of the time, I just tell them what I do, and they automatically start talking about how their car can use a polishing. I also email various car clubs in the area, and send my website link to them, and this leads to customers as well. Basically, I target guys that I know care about their cars, and can see value in paying for a detail.

Give your card to as many people as possible...you`ll be suprised how people start calling you mentioning they got your card from so and so.

mose
06-17-2008, 09:55 AM
I only detail on the weekends and all my business has come from "word of mouth". At first I would do a few "Freebies" just to get my work out there and it just grew from there. Sometimes you need to prime the pump to get things started....good luck!! :bigups

Buegie
06-17-2008, 10:34 AM
Thanks guys, I think I`ll make up some business cards and try to make it look like a legit business. I`ll also try to take some nice Before/After photos to show new customers the end result. Education is important too, I was talking to one woman today and for some reason she thought that `detailing` meant pin-striping :furious:

Weekendwarrior, it says you are mobile in your sig. Is that what most people do? It seems that it would be so much easier to bring the cars to my house where I have all of the products rather than loading everything into my car.

imported_weekendwarrior
06-17-2008, 10:47 AM
Well, I prefer people not come to my house. I am a ligit business, and try to limit my liability. If a customer gets hurt at my house, it kind of blurs the lines as to whether they would sue me, or my LLC. I just prefer to be mobile, as it is often more convenient to my customers. I store my supplies in pastic bins, and plastic storage shelves, so I can load everything into my SUV pretty easily.

http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u307/dstrum_photos/Dogs388.jpg

I don`t mean to sound like a jerk, but if you are going to be working on strangers` cars, I would want to do more than to "appear as a ligit business".

White_07_G6_GT
06-17-2008, 10:56 AM
I agree with the other posts. I started out by word of mouth and made a promise to myself that if I got to 10 cars within two months I would start a business and get some insurance. Which I did. Word of mouth is how I get 95% of my business I do have a little sign that I put out when I`m working away from the shop. Let your work speak for you and the clients will come.

dbesins
06-17-2008, 11:13 AM
great thread and advices! I think an other easy way to educate/show past work is through a website even if it is a free google page that takes you hours to put up, just upload before and after and have the web on your business card

Buegie
06-17-2008, 11:15 AM
I don`t mean to sound like a jerk, but if you are going to be working on strangers` cars, I would want to do more than to "appear as a ligit business".

Thats what I meant, I don`t want to just "appear" legit, I would like to actually be it. You`re right about the Mobile part though, it would be much more convenient for the customers. And I already store my pads/products in plastic bins so putting them in the car wouldn`t be too much trouble.

EcoAutoCT
06-17-2008, 04:26 PM
Depending on your state`s regulations you may not be able to operate at your home.

I know in CT it`s illegal for me to degrease an engine bay without an oil/water separator. You do NOT want to be on the DEP`s list.

blackmillenia
06-18-2008, 07:04 PM
[quote name=`Buegie`] Education is important too, I was talking to one woman today and for some reason she thought that `detailing` meant pin-striping

LOL that is hilarious I did my aunts sisters car the other day and when I went to pick up her car she said the exact same thing!! :LOLOL

George@DetailedImage
06-18-2008, 11:15 PM
Lot`s of great advice in here. I`ll see what I can add to this conversation.

Before I`d recommend going after new business, personally I`d do the following:

- Think of a name for yourself

- Get a DBA under that name

- Price out some business insurance for yourself

Once you get that squared away start promoting yourself.

I think having some sort of web presence is very important, even if you keep it pretty simple. This will give you some free/cheap exposure as well as a reference to give customers and it builds more credibility for your work. Start off with a 1 pager about yourself and your business and be sure to talk about the area you live in. Why is this important? Well if you want to get any traffic from people looking for "detailer in your area", then "your area" better be on your web page. It`s worth mentioning the town, city, and county you cater to, and possibly even some popular locations near you. The next best thing you can do on your web page/site is display some of your work so that people have an opportunity to see what you can do, which will convert more sales.

Create a business card with your information and don`t forget to include your web address. I found that the best prices on business cards and other print material are from gotprint [dot] com . 1000 cards that are color and glossy on both sides is only $15.99. I can vouch for the quality of the prints, they are top notch.

Your own vehicle is an advertisement for your business, do your best to keep it well maintained.

Go to some local car hang outs. As others have mentioned, these people care about their cars the most and will listen to what you have to say. If you offer swirl removal services, that`s usually an easy ice breaker. You can usually spot out which cars have swirls and begin talking about how to correct the imperfections. Start by educating them, explain the process, how you need a quality buffer, etc. Chances are you`re knowledge will impress them and you can lead into saying that you detail on the side and you can help improve their finish. If you keep your vehicle in great shape, you can bring them over to yours and compare the finishes. From what I`ve experienced, once you do a couple of people in a particular car group, they talk, spread the word and more members will be contacting you for details. I`ve offered group deals in the past, which I tried avoiding lowering my pricing, but offered more service for their money, like an extra coat of wax or some other free add on service.

Hand out business cards! Anytime I saw a qualified car in a parking lot I`d put a business card above the handle, wedged between the window seal and the glass. This way they have to see it and pick it off. Some people will throw it away (or on the ground) but you will eventually get calls. It`s a numbers game, the more you put out the more calls you`ll get. Any time I`d go out somewhere, I`d take a long walk around the parking lot and target potential customers. I typically went for Audi`s, BMW`s, Lexus, Mercades, Acura`s, big SUV`s (especially if they had rims), or some sport compact cars that were modified. Cards are so cheap, it only takes 1 detail to pay for themselves so hand them out as much as you can. Give stacks to your family to give out to their close friends. When I first started out, that was a good portion of my business. When you do good work, word spreads quickly.

Try to team up with businesses who could complement your services. Potential candidates are window tinting, paintless dent repairs, body shops, upholstery shops, vinyl graphic shops, local after market part shops, tuning garages, etc. Another thing you can do is talk to people who are in touch with a lot of professionals like insurance agents, financial advisers, real estate people, etc. Work something out with them, like if you send me 5 details, I`ll do your car for free (just an example).

Word of mouth will be your best source of new customers, but it takes those initial ones to get the ball rolling. Don`t be afraid in the beginning to lower your price or even do some for free. Find a local car event and donate a detail for an advertising spot. If you do end up doing details at a reduced rate, I`d recommend telling the customer that this is a promotional detail and make sure they know your normal price is higher so when they call you back, you can charge accordingly.

Follow up with your past customers. Be sure to collect their contact information, whether it`s email, phone number, or physical address. Make sure you`re comfortable with the method of contact too. If you`re not a phone person, get their e-mail addy. As you give your customer their keys back, and you can tell they are pleased with your work, let them know that you`ll touch base with them in advance so it`s not as awkward following up with them. Don`t let this slip either, the chances of landing a detail 6 months from now is much greater than if you call them 2 years from now. Another thing to do when handing the customer their keys is to let them know that their protection is going to last between 4 ~ 6 months with a sealant or 3 ~ 8 weeks with most waxes. Some people think they only need to detail their vehicles once a year, so you want to nail it in their heads that it should be more frequently.

Go the extra mile for your initial customers. Sometimes I`d include a free service, like an engine detail, which would take me 20 minutes. This gives you another opportunity to show case your work, they trust you more and are more likely to refer you to friends and family. I always kept a few different types of air fresheners around too and when I called them to let them know their car was almost finished, I`d ask them what type of scent they`d like.

Some things NOT to do:

- Do not over promise the customers. Know your limits of what you can or cannot do. If you tell a customer that you are capable of removing a scratch or swirls and you can`t, it leaves a bad taste in their mouth. Same goes for time estimates.

- Do not leave the glass streaked. This is a huge pet peeve for many people. I`d do the most amazing transformations on someones paint and you know what they`d say to me? "How did you get the glass so clean." When you improve someones vision they really take notice, when you hinder their vision, they notice even more.

- Do not show up late. If you are running late shoot them a quick call in advance letting them know you are stuck in traffic or whatever. Your customers are hiring you because their time is valuable, do not waste theirs.

This is just some of the essentials I can think of off the top of my head. I didn`t even get into online advertising which could get long winded and it`s 1:15AM for me and I`m beat. I can assure you that if you follow the advice above, you will not have any issues getting new customers. One last note, you have to be outgoing and creative on how you bring up that you detail professionally. Anyone who owns a car is a potential customer (some are more qualified than others, but you`d be surprised who is interested in a detail).

Hope this helps, best of luck on your new business venture!

George

Buegie
06-19-2008, 11:22 AM
^I can`t thank you enough for the advice, I think it should really help me out in the coming weeks. Someone already suggested to me a few of those preliminary things that you mentioned, he said:

1) Get a business ID from the IRS (free).

2) Use your EID number to get a separate business bank account (free).

3) Have your banker set up a DBA with your state (free).

4) Get a business license from your state ($20)

5) Use your EID number and business license to get a state tax ID number ($20)

6) [Recommended] Get some liability insurance (varies).

I definitely want to get all of that squared away before taking any business. The website is a must as well. I ran a car show a couple months back and I had a simple webpage up for that, so I should be able to make one up for the detailing business too.

One advantage I think I may have is the area I`m in. We have tons of weekenders here who live most of the time down in NYC. They have tons of money and aren`t afraid to spend it on their cars. If all goes well and with the right advertising, I should be able to have a constant stream of customers.

You also mentioned staying in contact with the tuning shops in the area. Like I said, I did a major European car show here about a month ago and I had many of the shops come to show off their project cars. As a result I know many of the owners personally and I`ve already started to let them know what I`m doing. They all have said they will let their customers know if anyone is looking for a detail. Thanks again for all of your help :bow

nick the swede
06-20-2008, 07:43 AM
I`m also looking to get a few customers. Thanks for the advice guys its really helped me.