PDA

View Full Version : What`s polishes of choice for newer GMs

imported_RedlineIRL
06-15-2008, 01:23 PM
I`ve been using the Danase Swirl abolishers on my GMs, and they are OK, but it takes many passes with my PC to do. What do you all use for polishing and finishing off newer GM finishes?

White_07_G6_GT
06-15-2008, 01:31 PM
I have had great success with SIP and 106 topped with OPS and EX-P

Scottwax
06-15-2008, 01:33 PM
Rotary. For reals.

Some people have had good success using Meguiars #105 with a PC, that would probably be your best bet if you want to stick with the PC.

Accumulator
06-17-2008, 09:32 AM
On our Denali XL I was able to do as much correction as I wanted using the PC with 3.5" PFW pads and 1Z Pasta Intensiv. I did a few of its RIDS with the rotary (and the same combo) for a comparison, and the PC was right up there time/effort-wise. The same combo took out 2K-3K sanding scratches easily too.

Using the Pasta Inensiv with orange foam pads had a lot less cut, but was still OK for less severe marring.

If the PC/1Z Pasta Intensiv/3.5" PFW won`t take it out, I`d think twice about taking it out at all ;)

M0nk3y
06-17-2008, 09:43 AM
Rotary. For reals.

Some people have had good success using Meguiars #105 with a PC, that would probably be your best bet if you want to stick with the PC.

I use to have a PC.

I finally realized it and got the rotary.......:dance

Jason M
06-18-2008, 11:09 PM
Yep, I have a black Chevy truck and I wouldn`t dream of doing any real correction on it with a DA.

Accumulator
06-19-2008, 10:22 AM
Yep, I have a black Chevy truck and I wouldn`t dream of doing any real correction on it with a DA.

Put a LC 3.5" PFW pad on a DA and you`ll rethink that :D

Jason M
06-22-2008, 11:14 PM
Put a LC 3.5" PFW pad on a DA and you`ll rethink that :D

Hah, fair enough. I guess I am just in the mindset that if I can`t get correction with my PC and 6" pads I just reach for the rotary. I actually prefer working with the PC though so maybe I should branch out a little and try some different pads.

zaxjax
06-23-2008, 06:53 AM
2008 Black Yukon Denali and I use SIP and Nano with a rotary.

dublifecrisis
06-23-2008, 08:31 AM
My neighbor has an 06 GMC diesel (black). He borrowed my PC over the weekend to work on a couple panels. He`s not an expert with the PC but he does a decent job. Each time I had him a product, I give him a quick lesson on `this particular combo`.

He said "the tailgate looks the worse" and that he "didn`t want to spend all day on it."

hmmm, so I grabbed the bottle Meg`s #105. I hadn`t even opened the bottle yet but warned him of the supposed learning curve and tried to relay all I have read about it.

Anyways, he just goes at it, ignoring most of the tips I gave him. I have to say, it turned out AWESOME. PC/M105/speed 6 and he was ready to do LSP. I handed a white pad and my poli-seal and then he toppped that with NXT 2.0. IT LOOKED GREAT!

sorry for the long post, but swirled black GMC=tough clear+weak PC-a bunch of spare time=M105 followed up with a finishing polish of your choice.

dmw2692004
06-23-2008, 11:34 AM
I worked on my hood and some body panels with my dewalt 849+ SFX-2 on a white pad @ around 1200/1400 rpm, then on some tougher RIDS i pulled out an orange pad + Optimum Hyper Compound worked at around 1400/1600 rpm. I decided to see if running over it all with SFX-3 on a black pad at around 1,000 rpm would help bring some depth into the paint, and it somewhat helped with some depth.

edit: I have a 2002 Yukon.

VroomVroom
06-23-2008, 03:43 PM
2007 YDXL here. I had good results with the PC w/ 4" LC orange. I used SIP with a wee bit of FPII for some working time, and followed with PO85RD and a 4" white pad. My original plan involved more effort, but I ran out of time (I never seem to have enough time to detail my own vehicles).

Bottom line - I agree with the rotary or at least with using PFW pads. I`ve got a Makita but am still on the steep side of the learning curve. Most of the vehicles I`m seeing these days are GM`s and the PC just doesn`t seem to have enough oomph to do the job.