PDA

View Full Version : very dirty interior / leather - product suggestions

Pages : [1] 2

imported_grease
06-14-2008, 11:02 AM
Hey guys. I`m working on the interior of a 2001 540i thats been uncared for. The leather is worn slightly and very dirty. Ive got the Leatherique twins arriving soon, but is there anything else to try? Woolite in a 10:1 ratio is too weak for what I need, and I don`t like using it in any stronger ratio, I find it doesn`t wipe clean. How strong is Z9?

Also, other surfaces including vinyls and plastics are very very dirty. I have Folex and #39 on hand, will these do?

I normally work on much cleaner vehicles, and I want to be careful. Thanks for the help!

imported_DetailDan
06-14-2008, 11:05 AM
I really like Leather Masters, and maybe some 1z plastic cleaner.

imported_themightytimmah
06-14-2008, 02:08 PM
10:1 APC works sometimes, sometimes it damages the finish though. I am a big fan of 1z Cockpit Premium and a stiff brush, or Leatherique and a hair dryer.

2k2blackWRX
06-14-2008, 02:12 PM
10:1 APC works sometimes, sometimes it damages the finish though. I am a big fan of 1z Cockpit Premium and a stiff brush, or Leatherique and a hair dryer.

+1

10:1 APC, or even 15:1, we use it on almost every single car we detail.

It is very simple, take a large MF towel, take a scrub brush and fill up a spray bottle with the mix. Generously spray wherever you are cleaning and scrub if needed and wipe down with the MF towel.

This works for super dirty leather seats as well but you need to be careful if it is already worn and not scrub around there because you can wipe off some of the dye.

We use this combo on the worst minivans ever and it works great.

imported_grease
06-15-2008, 10:18 AM

leatherique and a hair dryer? explain... I tend to use a steam cleaner before using leatherique, but Im not sure how effective this will be.

To everyone...Thanks for the help, but I dont use APC`s anymore... They just are not designed for specific tasks and I certainly wouldnt use an APC on any leather.

Im going to try some 1Z plastic cleaner, ive actually got some coming in my leatherique order. So maybe Ill be fine.

SuperBee364
06-15-2008, 10:21 AM
leatherique and a hair dryer? explain...

To everyone...Thanks for the help, but I dont use APC`s anymore... They just are not designed for specific tasks and I certainly wouldnt use an APC on any leather.

Do a search for leatherique... There was a *huge* thread on it a few months ago. It discussed using heat to get the best results. Great thread...highly recommended reading for anyone considering using Leatherique

imported_DetailDan
06-15-2008, 11:20 AM
leatherique and a hair dryer? explain... I tend to use a steam cleaner before using leatherique, but Im not sure how effective this will be.

Im going to try some 1Z plastic cleaner, ive actually got some coming in my leatherique order. So maybe Ill be fine.

Leatherique and a hair dryer is the same concept as using a steamer before hand. Basically the heat is causing the pours to open so the conditioner is absorbed better.

Quality Leather
06-22-2008, 06:46 PM
I would try a good cleaning with a 3M delicate duty scuff pad and a mild cleaner. It sounds like the leather will need to be refinished, though.

Evenflow
06-22-2008, 07:34 PM
I`ll tell everyone what I have been preaching lately.

Mr.Clean Magic Eraser. Cleans the seats like no other. However, it leaves them very dry looking so having a conditioner as a second step is a must.

mblgjr
06-22-2008, 08:09 PM
Be careful with the Magic Eraser. Can definitely be harmful to coated leathers; so I only use it on the dirtiest of surfaces and truly stubborn stains.

Kiwi Saddle Soap is the safest and best way to easily clean leather (coated or not). Follow directions on tin; allow to air dry and apply a protectant or conditioner of your choice.

Leatherique gets rave reviews; but I`ve never tried it.

ThumperMX113
06-22-2008, 08:35 PM
I agree, be VERY careful with the Magic Eraser, we`ve all heard those horror stories. I like to use APC+ diluted to 15:1 to be on the safe side. Of course always test a small out of sight spot. As far as Leatherique`s products go, they are awesome, and IMO the best out there. Not to say that I use them all the time. I find myself going to the Meguiars Leather Cleaner/Conditioner from the D-Line a lot.

judyb
06-23-2008, 12:58 AM
Please do not use Magic Erasers to clean leather. They will break down the finish on the leather and then you will have a far more serious problem to fix.

Saddle soap should also be reserved for saddles which are a completley different finish to auto leather.

You need to check that the `dirt` is actually dirt and not cracked pigment (this always looks like dirt) as no amount of cleaning or `conditioning` will rectify this and it will need restoration work.

Use products that have been tested specifically on leather as if you have problems with other products no one from those companies will be able to help with any problems.

Conditioning leather is a completley misunderstood process and is not required with anything other than water. Heat cannot help to open up the `pores` on a coated leather and absorption of product through the finish is highly unlikely. If you have cracked pigment adding conditioners can add to the problem rather than make it any better.

Dirt cannot be cleaned out of leather only from off the surface no matter how long products are left on there or how hot you heat the leather.

Clean with water based detergent cleaners using a stiff brush to help get the product into the grain pattern. Let the cleaner do the work. Follow with a protector and get any minor restoration work done at an early stage as this will be much more successful than leaving dirt to add to the problem and make the cracking worse.

Evenflow
06-23-2008, 08:10 AM
I`ve never had a problem with using the Eraser on my vehicle`s leather, or any of my family member`s vehicle, or the Porsche leather I did. So long as you dress it afterwards, there shouldn`t be any problem. However, leather is the only thing I use the eraser on.

judyb
06-23-2008, 10:55 AM
The damage may not be oviousto the naked eye and may not happen the first time you use the eraser but as they are very fine sandpaper they will wear away the finish until it is completely broken down. Any ingrained dirt that is scrubbed at would definitely break the finish.

Adding conditioners (dressings) after this will not be of any use. The only way to help would be to refinish with a finish similar to the ones used during the production process to replace any that has been worn away.

bwalker25
06-23-2008, 12:33 PM
woolite 6:1 and a little APC for that "something extra" Its my go to leather/carpet cleaner...