PDA

View Full Version : Pull-tab posters?

Lars
06-12-2008, 10:14 PM
I know a lot of detailers in my area use these posters, I`m not sure if pull-tab poster is the correct name though. In various places in my area (golf clubs, stores, ect) they are posted but do not look very nice, just some plain text saying "Need your vehicle detailed? Call me - tab has the number, ect ect going on about how they`ve worked @ a dealer as a detailer for so and so..."

I`m designing a nice professional poster currently, should I have them be posters solely or pull-tabs or do both so I can have pull-tabs in certain areas and just posters in others?

Also, does anyone know of a company that will manufacture these posters for me or high quality 8x11 posters for a good price? Or is my best bet taking it to kinkos or the like and then cutting it myself? Just looking for some input!

todd@bsaw
06-13-2008, 01:50 PM
Those kinds of posters are very amateur an almost juvenile. I would never advertise my business that way and I would shun any `pro detailer` that does the same. I have seen those as well around my area as well and I do not consider them professional in the least (especially if they brag they have worked at a dealer as a detailer).

If you do this for advertising, chalk yourself up to be in competition with high school kids with a wash bucket looking for money for prom.

Lars
06-13-2008, 04:05 PM
Those kinds of posters are very amateur an almost juvenile. I would never advertise my business that way and I would shun any `pro detailer` that does the same. I have seen those as well around my area as well and I do not consider them professional in the least (especially if they brag they have worked at a dealer as a detailer).

If you do this for advertising, chalk yourself up to be in competition with high school kids with a wash bucket looking for money for prom.

Thanks for the great advice. Finished the posters, removed the pull-tabs section, makes the process much easier and the poster look much cleaner. I attached one of them, the other 2 are similar. I originally had my telephone number at the bottom as pull-tabs, I replaced it with my contact bar. Thanks for the input!

http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd29/walangij/sign2online-1.jpg?t=1213394832

Holden_C04
06-13-2008, 04:17 PM
I have never liked to imply in an advertisement that you are hiring someone to do their car just to save a little bit of work. I would rather focus on quality and all that other stuff. Show your work!

Lars
06-13-2008, 04:38 PM
I didn`t realize how my poster`s various sections rendered as jpeg, the black is uniform on paper. I was just posting an example poster of what I came up with minus the pull-tabs.

Thanks for the advice Holden_C04. I`ve found it difficult to develop a poster that gets the attention of the people in my area. I`ve found it hard to convey quality in detailing + the good stuff in poster form. I`ll continue to work on it. This poster is targeting a specific demographic in my area.

Holden_C04
06-13-2008, 05:04 PM
I didn`t realize how my poster`s various sections rendered as jpeg, the black is uniform on paper. I was just posting an example poster of what I came up with minus the pull-tabs.

Thanks for the advice Holden_C04. I`ve found it difficult to develop a poster that gets the attention of the people in my area. I`ve found it hard to convey quality in detailing + the good stuff in poster form. I`ll continue to work on it. This poster is targeting a specific demographic in my area.

Something like this?

Before

http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa135/Holden_Caulfield04/porschedetail006.jpg

After

http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa135/Holden_Caulfield04/porschedetail021.jpg

Or

http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa135/Holden_Caulfield04/ApolloDetailingCraigslist001.jpg

imported_cushdrive
06-13-2008, 05:17 PM
There`s a typo in the poster.

DutrowLLC
06-14-2008, 11:25 AM
I think the reason pull-tab posters typically look unprofessional is because 99% of the time, they are not done very well. 99% of the time, they are amaturishly or hastily drawn up by someone in microsoft word and then printed out in black and white.

If you put pull tabs on a 4-color print, professionally done flyer/poster, then I think that is much better than not having pull-tabs, because pull-tabs allow a person to literally take your information with them and in this case, I think logistics trump all. Also, you can go back and check to see which locations are getting the most traffic by seeing how many tabs were missing.

I started my business distributing flyers on mailboxes and I still think they are a solid advertising solution. I`d ride around on a little gas scooter I got for $300 and ride right up to the mailboxes and put them between the flag and the box (you can`t open the mailboxes). The cool thing about flyers is that you can easily track what your results are. I remember I`d get one job out of 250 flyers and I`d try to distribute 125 per hour. I figured if I paid someone to do it (which is hard), I cold pay like 12 bucks an hour which means I`d be paying $30 for a customer which is well within the acceptable range. (labor + printing costs + gas for scooter, etc...)

Also, the best results I had were from a nice looking, but home done black and white flyers. The flyer has some nice images on it, write ups of the three levels of services that we offered, and some promotions. The images were sort of light and in the background behind the text. Later on, we tried glossy, full-color professionally printed flyers which did not do as well. I noticed with the black-and-white ones on printer paper, that people would always look at them when they got to their mailboxes. Maybe people liked that it was done at home, but done at home well?

I`ve always gotten by business cards done at: http://www.onlineprinthouse.com/

But they mostly just print on card stock. I remember another time we got glossy, full color, magazine-paper like flyers printed somewhere for like $500 for 20,000. We had to get a lot to get a good deal though.