PDA

View Full Version : Gonna use the rotary for the first time tomorrow.

superchargedg
06-11-2008, 02:55 PM
After using the flex 3401 for quite awhile i am going to try my cheap chicago rotary.I have pretty bad cobwebs on the hood so i was thinking of useing a pfw with some m105 i just got or do you think i should start with something less agressive.The flex hardly did anything with pfw and menz ip the last time i tried it and the painter said the hood has rock hard paint.

Give me some suggestions guys as this will be the first time with the rotary.:waxing:

Obsessive1
06-11-2008, 04:20 PM
I started using my Makita a while back. Not that hard. Just pay close attention to what your doing, keep speed down and just try to get a feel for how it operates. It is not as scary as it sounds.

BigAl3
06-11-2008, 04:30 PM
Give me some suggestions guys as this will be the first time with the rotary.:waxing:

http://www.autopia.org/forum/machine-polishing/12377-rotary-usage.html

superchargedg
06-11-2008, 04:40 PM
http://www.autopia.org/forum/machine-polishing/12377-rotary-usage.html

I have seen that on many ocassions.

BigAl3
06-11-2008, 04:42 PM
I have seen that on many ocassions.

here`s some more info... YouTube - Broadcast Yourself. (http://youtube.com/results?search_query=meguiars+wetsanding&search_type=&aq=f)

dsms
06-11-2008, 05:19 PM
To get the feel of it I would not start with M105. Its very aggressive and you have to work it at a minimum of 1500rpm for it to be effective which isnt ideal for a first go with your rotary, plus it just flashes way to quickly. Start off with a something milder like 106FF, its great to use because it has a long work time and you can see the stages of breakdown. Spread it slow and just work your way up to no more than about 1200rpm I would say. Move up to SIP or something equal if you need more cut.

superchargedg
06-12-2008, 05:53 PM
Well after about 4 hours with the different steps all i can say is wow.I have never seen a polish flash faster then m105.I was using a cheap chicago rotary but it did not matter as the m105 flashed after about 15-20 seconds.

I went after it at about 1200rpm and i was using the rotary for the first time and i could not believe how fast this compound flashed.I will say in the short time i was able to use it i got about 90% correction on only 1 pass as i was a little chicken to do 2 passes.I did use a PFW pad with the rotary and used a lc white with po85d to get rid of the nasty holograms with my flex 3401.

M0nk3y
06-12-2008, 07:54 PM
Chicago Rotary FTW. Its the same RPM range as all other rotaries, and same voltage. Its just not made for commercial use.......

SuperBee364
06-12-2008, 08:13 PM
To get the feel of it I would not start with M105. Its very aggressive and you have to work it at a minimum of 1500rpm for it to be effective which isnt ideal for a first go with your rotary, plus it just flashes way to quickly. Start off with a something milder like 106FF, its great to use because it has a long work time and you can see the stages of breakdown. Spread it slow and just work your way up to no more than about 1200rpm I would say. Move up to SIP or something equal if you need more cut.

*Very* much agree with this. Start with something as mild as you can. Even something like FPII which is milder than 106 (and a bit easier to use), on either black/blue/red finishing foam, or (you know it`s coming...) Edge white finishing wool.

Don`t worry about trying to perform any correction/polihsing/glossing. Just get the polish on the car and start using the buffer. You can do *many, many, many* passes with a polish like 106 or FPII and a finishing pad without ever worrying about the clear coat thickness. Just keep the RPM around 1k, and practice getting the buffer going where you want it to. Don`t let it be the boss. It`s all about keeping the weight evenly distributed on the pad. If it`s not, it`ll try and move one way or another all by itself. Once you get to the point where you have *complete* control over the buffer, and it`s not hopping, and you know about how much polish is right, what it looks like when it`s broken down, and when to remove it, you`ll be ready to move up to a real medium duty polilsh. I still wouldn`t jump to a true compound, and I *really* wouldn`t jump straight to M105. Remember that stuff gives the *pros* a hard time. Get to know the buffer first. Take a few middle weight compounds for a test drive, then you could move up to 105, but I`d take some time (an hour or two) to read everything you can find about how to use it first.