PDA

View Full Version : Grout Sponge doesn`t scratch???

Pages : [1] 2 3

cobrar97
06-11-2008, 09:11 AM
I got a grout sponge for my ONR, because people seem to like them on here. I pre-spray ONR on the panel before wiping w/ ONR and sponge. The GS seemed harsh sounding (scratchy) as I used it. My car is silver, so I don`t see anything wrong, but the sound and feel was different that anything else I`ve used. I thought I`d ask if others had the same experience and if that`s ok.

Way2SSlow
06-11-2008, 09:50 AM
I`ve had pretty good results so far. Make sure you`re not putting too much pressure on the sponge.

Macruz19
06-11-2008, 10:39 AM
To me.. it`s like claying a car. The more you use the GS it will get softer, but at first it seems though it`s grabby, and making a sound like you`re claying the surface. No harm here :)

cobrar97
06-11-2008, 10:41 AM
Does it remove any LSP? I just noticed went I was done using it and applied some FK425 QD that it wasn`t as slick as usual to wipe ON my QD.

Macruz19
06-11-2008, 10:50 AM
It does not remove LSP, but washing very often will.

If you did use ONR to wash... it should of left a slick finish when you`re drying.

abbeysdad
06-11-2008, 11:18 AM
I also spray panels before wiping with the GS - I didn`t have any grit feel or notice anything other than I was a little surprised that the QS didn`t absorb water/ONR like I thought it would.

Perhaps you just had some larger cinders stuck on the paint.

Was your GS dry??? cause it should be good and wet -

detaildoc
06-15-2008, 12:10 AM
It does not have the nice smooth feel of a wool mitt, but don`t let that fool you, it won`t scratch your paint. I recommend the GS from Lowes by Proline, it is super soft.

miahman98
06-15-2008, 01:52 AM
+1 on the Proline grout sponge. It`s so soft. I think it`s too soft for grout.

-Longhorn-
06-15-2008, 07:49 AM
GS are a joke. I used one for a few weeks over winter and it mared badly.

Shuskan3
06-15-2008, 07:52 AM
+1 on the Proline grout sponge. It`s so soft. I think it`s too soft for grout.

+2 I like the Proline grout sponge alot better than the home depot one. I have also got no marring when washing.

dave40co
06-15-2008, 09:52 AM
GS are a joke. I used one for a few weeks over winter and it mared badly.

Did you grout with it first?

imported_grease
06-15-2008, 10:06 AM
GS are a joke. I used one for a few weeks over winter and it mared badly.Some of the best detailers on this board use grout sponges. I suspect its user error, not a problem with the sponge. Unless of course you used it as a grout sponge first...

BigAl3
06-15-2008, 10:48 AM
It does not have the nice smooth feel of a wool mitt, but don`t let that fool you, it won`t scratch your paint. I recommend the GS from Lowes by Proline, it is super soft.

agreed...

Some of the best detailers on this board use grout sponges. I suspect its user error, not a problem with the sponge...

agreed...

Accumulator
06-15-2008, 11:05 AM
I`m an other person who can`t avoid some degree of marring with the grout sponge (note that I do still use it for some things).

IMO it`s not the sponge itself, but rather abrasive dirt that gets trapped between the sponge and the paint and is then moved under (too much) pressure. So do what you can to minimize the pressure with which the sponge is moved across the panels and keep it as wet as possible so the wash solution can provide flushing and lubrication. Move the sponge in short, interrupted "jiggling" motions so that if you *do* get a scratch, it`ll be a short little one, not some 6" long monster from a big long swipe with the sponge (or any other wash medium for that matter).

anto
06-17-2008, 03:58 AM
Gs`s should stay plenty lubricated & need a grit guard to really move the dirt out of the pores.

Make sure you have plenty of fluid in it.