PDA

View Full Version : Help! Need to get the GPS mount off

Enig
06-10-2008, 05:57 PM
I recently bought a traffic receiver for my GPS but I have it in the middle of the dash. I need it to be to the left of the steering wheel on the dash to use the traffic receiver. Is there an easy way to get the mount off the dash? It was only double sided tape that is holding on but it feels like concrete. Thanks for the help

Way2SSlow
06-10-2008, 06:02 PM
I think you could try a heat gun to warm it up and loosen the adhesive. Just dont hold it on the dash for too long so you dont damage it.

EOppie
06-14-2008, 04:10 AM
I 2nd the heat gun idea...has worked well for me in the past

BlackElantraGT
06-14-2008, 11:35 AM
Just curious, why does it have to be moved to the left of the steering wheel to use the traffic receiver? I take it you have a portable GPS Nav and most of them use an FM receiver to receive its traffic info, so all that is necessary is for you to plug in the traffic receiver to your cigarette adapter. My ac adapter IS my traffic receiver. It doesn`t need a clear view of the sky because it works on FM signals like your radio.

On another note, I`d highly recommend finding a bean bag type of mount for your GPS which sits on your dashboard. I purchased the Garmin one for my Nuvi and it`s the best $40 spent. You can move it from one car to another, no residue to clean off windshields or dashboards, and when you get out of your car you can easily hide it from view on the floor. Surprisingly it`s never slid or fallen off. The only time it`s done that was in an XC90, and only if you keep it too far down on the car`s sloped dashboard.