PDA

View Full Version : Meguiar`s Gold Class Instant Wheel Cleaner & Hot Rims Multi Piece

jb1
06-10-2008, 05:24 PM
Big Lots has these each for $3.50 and I picked up a bottle of each. Are they safe to use - I have chrome wheels on my vette and I think my wife`s Lexus has painted wheels. The Multi Piece Wheel Wash says it`s pH-safe, but the Gold Class Instant Wheel Cleaner says it contains Ammonium bifluoride. Since I never took a chemistry class, I need your help so I don`t melt my wheels. lol.

Jscort98
06-16-2008, 09:15 PM
I`m interested in this too. I don`t think that cleaner would harm anything on the first wash but after using it a while it might start to affect the rim. Anyone else know for sure?

BigAl3
06-16-2008, 09:32 PM
the multi-piece is the safest wheel cleaner they make, and IIRC it is now basically (re-named) the hot rims aluminum wheel cleaner...

mblgjr
06-16-2008, 11:37 PM
I just bought some of the multi-piece as well.

Another one of my BigLots bargains from the weekend; haha.

It smells mild...

I`ve heard a couple of rough comments about the chrome wheel cleaner. The biggest thing is to NOT let it sit; or dry; or go onto a hot wheel.

The GC Instant is a spray on; immediately agitate and IMMEDIATELY rinse off thoroughly type product. I would only use it if you REALLY have some brake dust and road grime buildup on the wheels. Otherwise; just use soap/water.

Eliot Ness
06-17-2008, 06:59 AM
...............the Gold Class Instant Wheel Cleaner says it contains Ammonium bifluoride.................Be careful with that, ABF (ammonium bifluoride) can be pretty nasty stuff:

Professional Carwashing & Detailing Online :: Brought to you by Grand View Media (http://www.carwash.com/article.asp?IndexID=6631269)

"ABF is extremely hazardous and can be harmful to several target organs in the human body, including the lungs, skin, eyes and kidneys," warns Roger McFadden, technical director and senior chemist with Coastwide Laboritories, Portland, OR.

McFadden says one of the most frightening aspects of fluoride poisoning is that its effects are not immediately apparent. Unlike hydrochloric acid or sulfuric acid, damage caused by HF and ABF takes place slowly. By the time a victim feels the effects, it`s too late to reverse the damage.

P1et
06-17-2008, 09:12 AM
I bought a few bottles of their Multi Piece wheel cleaner and have used it a lot lately, very safe and very nice to use. Not very harsh, for the bad stuff you`ll need something difference. But for expensive wheels, I have no issues reaching for it. If I have to think twice about it, out comes the P21S.

jb1
06-17-2008, 11:26 AM
Thanks everyone for the replies. Is there a list of products that I should avoid regarding wheel cleaners? That way, I could just check the MSDS on the particular item and if made "the list" then I would just avoid it.