PDA

View Full Version : Do I need ultima PPP even after Menzerna 106ff to apply pgp

newbiebimmer
06-10-2008, 03:29 PM
Hi guys..

about to detail the bimmer and last time I used the ultima pgp, i didn`t polish with a layer of paint prep plus, but rather right after a pass thru of Menzerna 106ff.

So the question is..

wash,

clay

Menzerna nano 106ff (probably just this

Ultima Paint Guard Plus

Or do I need to put in a layer of paint prep plus?

For cars that need more repair I`d do a menzerna SIP after claying and before 106ff.

thanks

BigJimZ28
06-10-2008, 03:34 PM
I would think you do need PPP

as I understand it Menzerna has a lot of oils in it

and they need to be removed for the UPGP to bond

Legacy
06-10-2008, 03:44 PM
I would think you do need PPP

as I understand it Menzerna has a lot of oils in it

and they need to be removed for the UPGP to bond

I agree. Use alcohol or prep sol after polishing with menz. Have you tried DWG under UPGP?

Bigpikle
06-11-2008, 11:01 AM
UPGP can be applied over a wax/glaze etc, so no NEED for a PPP step, BUT for ultimate durability I guess you`d want to to ensure the best bond possible. I think the above steps at least, are a good use of time ;)

DWG under UPGP is a great look.

newbiebimmer
06-11-2008, 11:51 AM
When you guys say use alcohol, use isopropyl alcohol on a sponge and go over the car and let it air dry?

thanks!

Bigpikle
06-11-2008, 11:58 AM
50/50 IPA mixed with distilled water, or you dont get time to work it. I put it in a spray bottle and mist a panel and wipe with a MF. Wouldnt use a sponge....

SuperBee364
06-12-2008, 07:25 AM
The oils in PO106FF and PO85RD really don`t seem to help the durability of LSP`s at all. +1 for at least an IPA wipedown after the menz and before the UPGP.

newbiebimmer
01-01-2009, 07:01 PM
So I just did a wash, clay, Menzerna SIP orange pad, and Nano 106ff with a green pad. Then I sprayed down 50/50 isopropyl/distilled water. Then 1 coats of Ultima PGP and another this morning (12 hrs later)

Then I went and read this post http://www.autopia.org/forum/car-detailing-product-discussion/105509-z2pro-vs-upgp-heavy-weight-battle-comparison-results.html

Where everyone says PPP before is the way to go.. :(

What do you guys think? Should have I put on PPP? But doesn`t that defeat the whole 10 min easy wipe on application?

I`m putting on my 3rd coat before bed tonight :)

OverExposed
01-01-2009, 07:42 PM
f

for optimum results i would encourage you to use zaino

kaval
01-01-2009, 08:00 PM
f

I would greatly appreciate if you elaborated on why you feel this way. :)

Bert
01-01-2009, 08:56 PM
What do you guys think? Should have I put on PPP? But doesn`t that defeat the whole 10 min easy wipe on application?

I wouldn`t say it defeats the easiness of UPGP`s wipe on application because you only use UPPP as the BASE layer, you would not apply both UPPP and UPGP every 12 hours like you are doing because the UPPP would clean off the previous layers of protection.

In other words, after you have corrected the paint with menzerna, you may want to do an ISA wipe down (optional) then apply UPPP as your base. After that, apply your first layer of UPGP and then apply only layers of UPGP on your paint if you like additional layers. You will not use UPPP until several months (or a year if you choose) and you decide to give your car clean start by cleaning the paint again with UPPP to start with a fresh base layer and then add your choice of layers of UPGP on top. So again, you only use UPPP as your bottom base layer.

newbiebimmer
01-01-2009, 09:00 PM
f

:) not an option as i`ve already invested in the ultima..

newbiebimmer
01-01-2009, 09:02 PM
I wouldn`t say it defeats the easiness of UPGP`s wipe on application because you only use UPPP as the BASE layer, you would not apply both UPPP and UPGP every 12 hours like you are doing because the UPPP would clean off the previous layers of protection.

In other words, after you have corrected the paint with menzerna, you may want to do an ISA wipe down (optional) then apply UPPP as your base. After that, apply your first layer of UPGP and then apply only layers of UPGP on your paint if you like additional layers. You will not use UPPP until several months (or a year if you choose) and you decide to give your car clean start by cleaning the paint again with UPPP to start with a fresh base layer and then add your choice of layers of UPGP on top. So again, you only use UPPP as your bottom base layer.

got it.. it`s a shame I didn`t do the UPPP. I thought an ISA wipedown was good enough.

So in a few months, if I want to reapply. Do I have to do everything? i.e. clay, menzerna, then ISA, UPPP then UPGP? Or can I just clay, ISA, UPPP then UPGP?