PDA

View Full Version : Anyway to remove dried crazy glue off dash plastic?

Chargeron24s
06-10-2008, 01:42 PM
I have a 2007 Dodge Charger

I was doing something around the speedometer area using a little crazy glue and didnt realize some dripped onto the died plastic dash peice below the speedo trim. Is there anything I can use to get it off without discoloring the finish? Ive tried goo-gone, hot soap and water, and my fingernail with no luck.

Here it shows what im reffering to inside the speedo guage and directly below the center of the trim ring

http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s92/chargeron24s/goo.jpg?t=1213127924

Thanks

BigJimZ28
06-10-2008, 01:44 PM
go to a hobby shop

there is a product that disolves it(ca remover if I remeber )

no idea if it is plastic safe

JonP
06-10-2008, 01:49 PM
I know there is a crazy glue remover used to remove the glue, can be found a Home Depot or Lowes, maybe Wal-Mart too. Test on another small area of the plastic to see what effect it has on it before you try the spot of glue. It doesn`t take much to remove it.

Jokeman
06-10-2008, 02:47 PM
Acetone will break it down or Nail Polish Remover.

wannafbody
06-10-2008, 02:57 PM
maybe GOOF OFF

Saleenman607
06-10-2008, 03:19 PM
Goo be Gone GEL would work. The trick is to let it "dwell` for 30/60 seconds before wiping off. 2 or 3 applications like that and you should be good.

salty
06-11-2008, 03:13 AM
I`m saying is not coming off unless the solvent works without damage or you had some protectant on the gauge.

bumoftheday
06-11-2008, 07:04 AM
Acetone will break it down or Nail Polish Remover.

Acetone + plastic = bad. Do not try this, there is a good chance it will melt the plastic.

jayjacque
06-11-2008, 08:30 AM
I`d be curious if any of the aforementioned products/methods work safely. About the only time I`ve ever had success getting superglue off was if it didn`t stick too well to begin with on whatever it was on. Even then it was a pain to get all of it off without something still showing up.

Eliot Ness
06-11-2008, 09:07 AM
Acetone + plastic = bad. Do not try this, there is a good chance it will melt the plastic.I suspect that most of the commercial Super Glue removers will be essentially acetone. Do test somewhere out of sight because as bumoftheday mentioned, it might melt (at least some) plastics.

With Super Glue on plastic, I`ll have to agree with some others that you won`t get it off or you`ll do more damage and it`ll look worse than leaving it alone. If there was a protectant on there that would have kept the glue from fully bonding then you might have a chance. It might be time to start searching eBay for a new piece.

Jokeman
06-11-2008, 09:53 AM
Acetone + plastic = bad. Do not try this, there is a good chance it will melt the plastic.

I have never seen Acetone melt plastic. I raced nitro RC for about 8 years and every week after a race I would take the wheels off my car, and put them in a bucket of acetone so I could replace the foam inserts. The plastic wheels and rubber tires never broke down.

Domas
06-11-2008, 10:03 AM
I have never seen Acetone melt plastic. I raced nitro RC for about 8 years and every week after a race I would take the wheels off my car, and put them in a bucket of acetone so I could replace the foam inserts. The plastic wheels and rubber tires never broke down.

You are lucky then. I once tried to wipe some paint off my car with acetone, and it it even removed my clearcoat to the paint very quickly...:wall I never use acetone for such things after that. With plastic, acetone never melt anything to me, but it turned the plastic whitish.

bumoftheday
06-11-2008, 11:51 AM
Where I work, we use acetone to melt plastic on purpose to smooth out edges. I do deal with much higher % acetone than nail polish remover.