PDA

View Full Version : Dust build-up between polishing/waxing/buffing

Mr.Dan
06-10-2008, 12:32 PM
Hi, I`m in need of some detailing advice.

I have a black car and as you all know, it shows a lot of dust. What I notice during my detailing session is between the different stages, even after drying from a full wash, there would be a build-up of dust on the paint surface. Is it safe to continue to polish/wax/buff without using QD to remove the dust? It gets tiresome and time-consuming to QD every layer.

Also, driving my car inside my garage would not work because my garage is quite dusty too...

imported_cushdrive
06-10-2008, 02:44 PM
The dust isn`t going to hurt you, but it`s always best to wipe the car down with PrepSol or IPA between steps anyway. The exception being lsp layering. I would also suggest doing your detailing inside your garage....even if it is dusty. Some products won`t behave properly in direct sunlight.

As a side note, FK425 does a pretty good job at keep dust at bay. I`d be willing to bet the dust is coming from your products. FK won`t help you if this is the case obviously.

BigJimZ28
06-10-2008, 02:53 PM
are you talking about polishing dust or unknown dust from the air?

LQ9SS
06-10-2008, 03:17 PM
An air compressor can be your best friend. I use it a lot during detailing and between washes. After driving my truck around for a couple of days I will take the air compressor and blow the dust off, it works well if you have a good LSP.

Accumulator
06-11-2008, 11:45 AM
I use combos of the preceding posts- the compressor, #34, even ONR/QEW washes if I think that`s warranted. Whatever the dust it, I want it off of there before I start rubbing on anything.