PDA

View Full Version : Looking to detail with Werkstat products

Crono139
06-09-2008, 09:03 AM
Alright. I have a `99 Accord, and am looking to detail my car properly once I finish this semester at school.

It has a few scratches here, and there, with a few deep ones at certain spots. The two deep scratches (where it`s just solid white) are the only ones that I can think of. One is on the sideskirt, and the other is on the passenger side of the front lip. Those were the areas that I was going to use touch-up paint for. Other than that, there`s just minor surface scratches that aren`t visible until you get up close.

The only oxidation that is present is a small cloud above my passenger side door. I`m not sure how to combat that properly just yet.

I have a 6" random orbital buffer, so no worries about the elbow grease. The buffer came with a terrycloth, and wax applicator bonnet. I also purchased a polishing bonnet made out of lambs wool.

Anyways, I bought the Werkstat Acrylic Series Kit a while back, so how does this order of operations sound? WERKSTAT Detailing: Werkstat Products (http://www.werkstat.com/products-werkstat.php)

Touch-up paint (allow to cure for a few days)

Satin Prot (interior)

Wash

Prep Clay

Polish

Acrylic Prime

Acrylic Jett Trigger

Acrylic Glos

Wash (again)

Wax

I need to decide on a polish (or polishes), and a wax. I`ve never used a polish before, and the only wax that I`ve really used is Meguiar`s NXT (original version), which I have had no problems with. Any recommendations, though?

Thoughts, or suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

Crono139
06-11-2008, 04:50 PM
Dinnertime bump.

jshillin
06-11-2008, 05:45 PM
Why wax?? Everything else seems fine...

wfedwar
06-11-2008, 05:55 PM
You`re wasting time and money with the wax. Werkstat looks great by itself and it`s very easy to freshen up with the AJT or Glos. The other comment I have is that Satin Prot is too glossy to use on interiors IMO. It`s great and I use it often on exterior trim, but I don`t care for the interior gloss. That is dependent on application, surface, and your preference. I`d try it out on a very small area first to see if you like it. The prime needs to be applied very thin or it can be difficult to remove. It you have high spots, use water or Glos to clean it up. There is an art to applying Werkstat and Klasse (similar products), but AJT makes it much easier. If you put to much of the Prime or AJT, it may look streaky at first. A coat of Glos should fix that. Again, don`t bother with the wax.

Crono139
06-11-2008, 10:15 PM
Alright, thanks for the advice.

What should I do about a polish, if any? Werkstat recommended using it between the Clay, and Prime stages for best results.

wfedwar
06-12-2008, 04:30 AM
Depends on your paint and how damaged it is. You may need a polish and a compound. That`s really independent of the sealant.

steelwind101
06-12-2008, 05:10 AM
Hello

Also dont bother finishing up with a wash if you decide to ditch the wax idea.

It will make the applying Glos i fairly pointless procedure and will be totally unrequired anyway.

Geoff

Gopher
06-12-2008, 07:52 AM
I agree that the wax is unnecessary, but I really liked the look last year when I topped 2 layers of AJT with Natty`s Red on a black 911. I wasn`t going to bother as I figured it was unnecessary, but I got the opposite suggestion here to what you`re getting.

Crono139
06-12-2008, 08:05 AM
Depends on your paint and how damaged it is. You may need a polish and a compound. That`s really independent of the sealant.

I`ll see if I can get pictures up.

Also dont bother finishing up with a wash if you decide to ditch the wax idea.

It will make the applying Glos i fairly pointless procedure and will be totally unrequired anyway.

Good to know. Thanks.

Scottwax
06-12-2008, 03:46 PM
Unless your car is solid black, I`d leave AJ Trigger untopped. Makes maintaining the finish a lot easier.

Crono139
06-12-2008, 08:56 PM
Unless your car is solid black, I`d leave AJ Trigger untopped. Makes maintaining the finish a lot easier.

Dark Emerald Pearl.

What do you mean by "untopped"?

Scottwax
06-12-2008, 10:27 PM
No carnauba.

Crono139
06-13-2008, 01:45 PM
Alright, one more thing...

What should I do about a polish, if any? Werkstat recommended using it between the Clay, and Prime stages for best results.

Bigpikle
06-13-2008, 02:04 PM
add a 2nd layer of AJT and finish there :D should look superb ;)