PDA

View Full Version : FK 425 or something else?

Pages : [1] 2

2005GTPinMD
06-09-2008, 03:46 AM
I am running low on my supply of FK 425 (I love that stuff). Should I reorder another gallon or is there another detailing spray that has the same properties. Also, is there any thing else I should consider ordering from Finish Kare?

Thanks

DM101
06-09-2008, 04:13 AM
Optimum ID is excellant. So if you want a change give it a try.

Optimum Instant Detailer & Gloss Enhancer Quick Detail Spray, opt quick detailer, spray detailer, waterless wash, instant detail spray (http://autogeek.net/optimum-instant-detailer-32oz.html)

imported_weekendwarrior
06-09-2008, 05:58 AM
I like Clearkote`s Quik Shine. I use it to clean windows, and love the way it looks on paint.

jesselyons2002
06-09-2008, 08:47 AM
Chemical guys Syntheic Quick detailer has the same properties like FK425.

Rock
06-09-2008, 09:10 AM
DG 521 works for me

Accumulator
06-09-2008, 09:33 AM
2005GTPinMD- I`d stick with the FK425. I have a scad of different QDs on hand (at least 7 or 8 different ones, including some mentioned on this thread) and I like the FK425 best in most situations. The only other QD I really like (enough to use by the gallon) is Griot`s SpeedShine, and I only use that on carnaubas.

I recently tried their FK 146 QD (more cleaning, less gloss/etc.) and I do like it too. And I was so impressed with my little sample tin of FK 1000p that I bought a regular size tin of it. I`d at least ask for samples of these, maybe you`ll like `em as much as I do.

cobrar97
06-09-2008, 10:12 AM
I love the FK425 also. I tried the FK146 but did not like it much...not nearly as slick.

I wonder about the Optimum ID that someone mentioned above...it`s about $8 for the gallon and looks pretty good. Any FK425 users have a comparison to Optimum ID???

SuperBee364
06-09-2008, 10:19 AM
I love the FK425 also. I tried the FK146 but did not like it much...not nearly as slick.

I wonder about the Optimum ID that someone mentioned above...it`s about $8 for the gallon and looks pretty good. Any FK425 users have a comparison to Optimum ID???

There`s been a few (but not alot) of posts from people that have used both 425 and OID. It seems like it`s been about equally split on preference. Which I kinda found surprising, really. Although I haven`t ever used OID, I am *so* impressed with 425 I was surprised that some of those who had used both prefered the OID by quite a margin. OID would need to not just QD the heck out of my car, it would need to take me out to lunch afterward (on it`s tab) to impress me enough to give up my 425.

cobrar97
06-09-2008, 10:23 AM
SuperBee...have you tried the Groit`s SpeedShine? I`ve heard before it`s very, very good too...as someone mentioned in this thread. I love trying new product, but my wallet doesn`t. If some people could really put up an arguement for OID or SpeedShine, I`d try them, as my FK425 is getting low.

SuperBee364
06-09-2008, 10:25 AM
SuperBee...have you tried the Groit`s SpeedShine? I`ve heard before it`s very, very good too...as someone mentioned in this thread. I love trying new product, but my wallet doesn`t. If some people could really put up an arguement for OID or SpeedShine, I`d try them, as my FK425 is getting low.

Hearing that Accumulator likes to use Griot`s SpeedShine over carnaubas really has my interest piqued, for sure, but I`m well past my detailing supply budget for some time to come. :(

There are a few OID vs. 425 threads floating around here somewhere... Maybe our search guru BigJim will find them for us...

Edit: here`s a few of em....

http://www.autopia.org/forum/detailing-product-discussion/108024-fk-425-something-else.html

http://www.autopia.org/forum/car-detailing/105759-fk425-optimum-instant-detailer.html

http://www.autopia.org/forum/detailing-product-discussion/103889-optimum-instant-detailer-gloss-enhancer-five-stars.html

Accumulator
06-09-2008, 10:54 AM
Reading those rave reviews for the OID, it`s almost enough to make me rethink my recent order of 4 gallons of FK425, but I dunno... I`m happy with the FK425, I simply like everything about it (even though it doesn`t do the anti-static thing much for me). Maybe I`ll try some of the OID next time, but IME the FK425 is utterly idiot-proof, no streaking, no issues at all, which is more than I can say for some other QDs.

And...[flamesuit on].. I was sufficiently underwhelmed by OCP to the point that when everybody else in the world loves an Optimum product, I start getting all (unreasonably) skeptical about whether *I* would like it.

SuperBee364- I just used the Griot`s SpeedShine to do a pseudo-spitshine application of #16 on my wife`s A8 yesterday. Yep, I do like that stuff, but it might just be one of my (perhaps goofy) personal preferences. It`s a heavy-QD if you know what I mean, only with carnauba instead of the [whatever the stuff is] that products like FK425/OID have in them. As it sits on the shelf for years (yeah, I know, it was from when I consolidated my two shops into one :o ) the wax separates out a bit, but no worries as it mixes back up just fine with a shake.

SpeedShine`s carnauba content really first got my attention when I used it on a bird bomb on the Volvo wagon I had (outside 24/7/52); the spot I`d QDed was slicker and better beading than the surrounding paint, and it wasn`t a sort-lived, subtle difference either.

I`d probably compare it most directly with Pinnacle CM, but while the CM can look better, the Griot`s is another idiot-proof product (and it`s cheaper, at least by the gallon). And hey, like the4 FK425, I just *like* the stuff :D

cobrar97
06-09-2008, 11:13 AM
So SpeedShine has Carnauba in it??? So it`s a product to try, but still use FK425 or OID for non-nuba cars, right?

Accumulator
06-09-2008, 11:19 AM
So SpeedShine has Carnauba in it??? So it`s a product to try, but still use FK425 or OID for non-nuba cars, right?

I sure haven`t done a real analysis of the SpeedShine, but it certainly *seems* that way to me. So much so that I don`t like using it as a clay-lube because it`s like the wax compromises the clay`s performance too much. And yeah, I only use it with carnaubas and I use FK425/etc. with my non-nuba LSPs.

But...just to muddy the waters ;) Now Griot`s sells sealants, and I haven`t heard of any caveats regarding using SpeedShine with those, so :nixweiss when it comes right down to it.

Rob Tomlin
06-10-2008, 09:28 AM

I have.

My original review after a week or so of use concluded that OID is quite good in terms of looks, and is very cost effective. HOWEVER, it is not as slick as 425, is not as user friendly in that it is much more likely to streak/not wipe off cleanly compared to 425, and doesn`t give quite the overall improvement in looks that 425 does.

I have used it more since then, and the above conclusions have been even further reinforced.

FK 425 is the winnah! :)

Accumulator
06-10-2008, 09:34 AM
I have...[compared OID and FK425...FK 425 is the winnah! :)

Well, that`s good news to me (what with four gallons of FK425 on their way).

On regarding the FK146 not being as slick as FK425- I find the FK146 cleans a lot better, so I consider the two products to be for different jobs. I use the FK146 for stuff that others might use ONR for.