PDA

View Full Version : Beads Up But Doesn`t Roll Off

Pages : [1] 2

TimL
06-08-2008, 09:07 AM
I recently applied Collinite 476S to my 2007 F150.

Since then it has rained a couple of times, and I`ve noticed that the rain water beads up, but it doesn`t roll off (or blow off at 55mph). It just sits there until it evaporates.

When I used the Turtle Wax last year, the rain water would roll off...until the wax went away.

It this typical for this type of wax? Turtle Wax is the only other kind of wax that I have ever used.

Am I doing something wrong?

Your advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Tim

NSXTASY
06-08-2008, 09:40 AM
I find sealants allow water to roll off quicker in general, however, as long as the collinite protects from spotting and contamination it shouldn`t be too much of an issue.

Try wiping it down after a wash with a spray sealant (aw, z8).

gamby
06-08-2008, 09:54 AM
I`ve had really good luck w/ Meguiars QD for helping water roll off my car.

Give a once-over with it after every wash and you`ll have nice, round, mobile beads of water.

TimL
06-08-2008, 10:07 AM
I`ve had really good luck w/ Meguiars QD for helping water roll off my car.

Give a once-over with it after every wash and you`ll have nice, round, mobile beads of water.

Can that be applied over the Collinite?

I`ve been planing to purchase something to spray on after washings, and between wax jobs.

jimmie jam
06-08-2008, 01:05 PM
i have been using collinite 845 since 1973. it gives me very tight beads and flies off the finish. FWIW. :secret

Bigpikle
06-08-2008, 01:17 PM
not noticed 476 being particularly good or bad in my experience...Opti Seal stands out as having superb roll-off, with cars almost being self-drying once rain stops.

DBC
06-08-2008, 01:29 PM
how was your prep work prior to applying Collinite? I found that water that beads up rolls off easily if its been clayed where as LSP`s thats just applied to a decent surface takes awhile to roll off even at speed.

derek37
06-08-2008, 02:31 PM
how was your prep work prior to applying Collinite? I found that water that beads up rolls off easily if its been clayed where as LSP`s thats just applied to a decent surface takes awhile to roll off even at speed.

Agree. I think if paint is not prepped correctly, just applying an LSP won`t do much for gloss and certaintly not for durability. There could be too much surface tension(too much contamination) on your paint to allow the water to easily flow off the car.

TimL
06-08-2008, 03:15 PM
I`m not auto detailer, but I find it hard to believe that the entire vehicle needs to be clayed before waxing in order for the wax to work.

When I used the Turtle Wax it beaded up and rolled off just fine, no clay, just a good washing. I just wasn`t happy with how long it lasted.

The water isn`t rolling off the 476S at all. It just sits there and evaporates.

derek37
06-08-2008, 03:20 PM
well maybe just use the TW over the 476

derek37
06-08-2008, 03:22 PM
i`ve never used it, but you might get a little more durabilty out of the TW if the paint was clayed as well as polished. Always, proper prep will give you better results. There are no short cuts.

Jscort98
06-08-2008, 06:15 PM
Definitely go with the clay and then 476. The water should bead and fly off. Even if you only clayed it the water should still bead pretty well but with the 476 on top of a freshly clayed surface it should work perfectly.

Accumulator
06-09-2008, 10:04 AM
The beads roll off my 476S, but not quite as readily as with some other LSPs. I`d rank the 476S as much better than average though.

I agree with the prep comments. The smoother the surface that the 476S is on, the better the beads will roll off. Using a pseudo-spitshine technique (spritz a *tiny* bit of cool/cold water/QD on the panel before applying the wax, work it until the "spit" disappears) can help too.

See how spherical the beads are; ideally you want little balls of water that are barely flat at *only* the point where they contact the paint.

And yeah, try a leaves-stuff-behind QD. I prefer Griot`s SpeedShine or FK425.

TimL
06-09-2008, 04:58 PM
I recently purchased some DP Final Gloss Quick Detailer.

My plan was to use the 476S as a base, and then use the DP while drying after each wash.

Is there any chance that I didn`t effectively remove the Collinite after applying it?

Accumulator
06-10-2008, 08:48 AM
Is there any chance that I didn`t effectively remove the Collinite after applying it?

I doubt it. If you don`t get all the 476S off you either have the regular wax-residue or else you get "pseudo holograms". In either case it`ll look pretty obvious (and pretty awful :D ) in the right light....I think you woulda noticed.

Same ol` same ol` just gotta clay and then polish polish polish before you apply the wax if you want the best possible results (including those fly-away beads).