PDA

View Full Version : Techniques for ONR and bugs?

Pages : [1] 2

Bigpikle
06-08-2008, 01:27 AM
Getting into ONR now...but on my last wash I really struggled with bugs etc on the front end.

I used a pre-spray of ONR at QD strength soaking 1 panel ahead of where I was washing, and had to pre-soak the front twice and still go over it several times to get them off, using a fair bit of effort :(

Was using a sheepskin mitt and just wondering if a GS would be better option. Anyone have any other tips to try?

many thanks

imported_truzoom
06-08-2008, 01:30 AM
Grout sponge won`t do much as it has no grabby surface to actually remove bug splatter.

Your best option is to rinse off the bug stuff as soon as possible and to not let it bake in the sunlight.

Typically, after I drive on the highway I`ll stop by a coin-op car wash and use the pressurized water to get the big stuff off. ONR is much easier after that.

abbeysdad
06-08-2008, 07:01 AM
I have one of those nylon mesh covered sponges that in combo with ONR, bugs come right off... but having said that, a good LSP is the best bug prevention. I recently detailed my ride prior to a 200 mile highway trip. On the road I ran into a bunch of bugs and when I got to the hotel, the front was covered - I just shook my head. The next day it rained and for the most part, the bugs disappeared (just fell off the paint)! I smiled.

jfelbab
06-08-2008, 07:14 AM
I use one of the super-slick QD`s daily during the bug season and they wash off easily.

Right now I`m a big fan of Meguiar`s UQD.

Ron Harris
06-08-2008, 07:35 AM
What I do is No-Rinse the car and save the bugs and wheels last. I will wet the front of the car along with the mirror covers with the No-Rinse. Then I use Optimum Power Clean diluted 3/1 and spray the affected areas, let dwell for a minuet or so and then wash again with the No-Rinse.

The Power Clean dose a good job softening the bugs.

If you use a pressure washer you can blast them off after the dwell time. My pressure washer is set at a 1000 psi witch is not much and this will knock them off.

BigJimZ28
06-08-2008, 07:39 AM
I have one of those nylon mesh covered sponges

that sounds like swirl city:bolt

nmxdaven
06-08-2008, 07:49 AM
I find that a soaking the area with a QD dilution of ONR gets them off just fine. All it usually takes is a very light pass with a mitt to get them.

Bigpikle
06-08-2008, 08:40 AM
cheers all - will have to experiment a little more...

from a practical point of view, i really cant clan them off after every drive, as the car is a daily driver used for long business journeys etc, and often i go to a hotel and it sits there for 2-4 days before I head home.

I`ll try a different pre-soak, as I have some other cleaners i can use as a pre-spray and see if that helps soften them. I was just nervous about the fact that they wont get a good rinse off in the same way as they would with a PW rinse.

SuperBee364
06-08-2008, 09:55 AM
I have one of those nylon mesh covered sponges that in combo with ONR, bugs come right off... but having said that, a good LSP is the best bug prevention. I recently detailed my ride prior to a 200 mile highway trip. On the road I ran into a bunch of bugs and when I got to the hotel, the front was covered - I just shook my head. The next day it rained and for the most part, the bugs disappeared (just fell off the paint)! I smiled.

For sure. It`s a huge PITA having to keep up on LSP on the bumper and hood, but it more than makes up for it in effort saved getting bug guts off.

ty webb
06-08-2008, 10:12 AM
Why not pre-soak with something like Poorboy`s Bug Squash instead of ONR on bug covered areas?

imported_truzoom
06-08-2008, 10:35 AM
Doesn`t someone sell a product that you apply to the front end of a vehicle before going on a trip and then later you wash it off like a temporary film? That may be a good product in this scenario.

imported_shine
06-08-2008, 10:41 AM
Doesn`t someone sell a product that you apply to the front end of a vehicle before going on a trip and then later you wash it off like a temporary film? That may be a good product in this scenario.

Diamondite Bug Blocker comes to mind. I have yet to use it though.

getcha
06-08-2008, 11:35 AM
I have some too, I got it from AG for free with a couple other things. I am curious to how it works as well lol

imported_altez
06-08-2008, 01:06 PM
I`ve had good success with using ONR 1:1 ratio for bugs.

derek37
06-08-2008, 02:43 PM
Quick solution=clay bar and lube. After washing.