PDA

View Full Version : Woo-hoo! Got a GPS for my birthday

Pages : [1] 2

Scottwax
06-07-2008, 09:44 PM
My parents, brothers and sister all went together to get me a Garmin Nuvi for my birthday. Pretty nice unit, 4 x 3 screen, even displays my speed. I wonder if it will show the paths if I use it on my road bike.

Definitely will be a big help finding new customer`s houses. :)

BigAl3
06-07-2008, 09:45 PM
you deserve it! :up

tom p.
06-08-2008, 05:03 AM
My parents, brothers and sister all went together to get me a Garmin Nuvi for my birthday. Pretty nice unit, 4 x 3 screen, even displays my speed. I wonder if it will show the paths if I use it on my road bike.

Definitely will be a big help finding new customer`s houses. :)

I can set my Nuvi to "off road" and it will give a general indication of your location. However, it does not show paths through the woods, etc. I guess you can buy and load additional maps that would provide this sort of data.

Scott, that`s a really nice gift. Enjoy :)

Way2SSlow
06-08-2008, 07:30 AM
I`ve got a Nuvi too Scott. You`ll love it.

imported_Chris223
06-08-2008, 07:45 PM
Very nice! As far as GPS goes... Garmin is the ONLY way to go! I have myself a Garmin Nuvi 200W, got it before I went for a job interview in Buffalo a few weeks ago and it served me well! Nuvi FTW.

Scottwax
06-08-2008, 07:47 PM
The one I got was the 200W too. :)

Got me right to a new customer`s house this morning, even got the estimated time of arrival correct. I guess it uses my current speed plus the speed limits on the roads I`ll be on to figure it out.

Mindflux
06-08-2008, 07:48 PM
my nuvi is great. Debating on updating to the 2009 maps that just came out.

Scottwax
06-08-2008, 10:18 PM
my nuvi is great. Debating on updating to the 2009 maps that just came out.

I`ll have to wait until they update all the bridge and freeway construction in Arlington. Most of it just started.

2001kx
08-04-2008, 02:56 PM
I bought a garmin c330 for $119.00 on black friday and it is the best monry i have spent in a while.

love it.

pgp
12-02-2008, 02:18 PM
I got a Nuvi 200 on Black friday weekend. Is there a way to check if the maps are up to date? On their website, I read there is a one time upload in 60days of using it. I guess I should wait close to the 60 days to get the most up to date. Any thoughts on this?

Would anyone suggest a clear cover for the screen to protect it, like tint film?

mrmatt
12-02-2008, 02:26 PM
I`ll have to wait until they update all the bridge and freeway construction in Arlington. Most of it just started.

I have been doing my best to stay away from that construction, nightmare!!

tom p.
12-02-2008, 02:43 PM
I got a Nuvi 200 on Black friday weekend. Is there a way to check if the maps are up to date? On their website, I read there is a one time upload in 60days of using it. I guess I should wait close to the 60 days to get the most up to date. Any thoughts on this?

You should have (or be eligible for) 2009 maps. On my 360, here are the motions to get map version:

turn the unit on :grinno:

Tools

Map

Map InfoMy unit shows "City Navigator North America NT 2008" (I got my unit earlier this year)

I`d consider an upgrade every other year. Doing it yearly is not likely to bring much benefit, IMO. I think many, including myself, will likely update the entire unit vs. buying new maps @ $70. Personally, I`m about to grab a 760 :) and hand the 360 off to a needy soul.

Dan
12-02-2008, 02:50 PM
Very nice! As far as GPS goes... Garmin is the ONLY way to go! I have myself a Garmin Nuvi 200W, got it before I went for a job interview in Buffalo a few weeks ago and it served me well! Nuvi FTW.

I have two garmins (c5 and nuvi 200) and a Tomtom (One LE), I like the Tomtom better. Personal preference stuff aside, its hackable and you can put all sorts of neat apps on it. For example there is a program to record your route, which you can post in google earth or maps, or in scotts case, upload to motionbased to give him performance numbers for his bike ride. You can also use google maps to create your routes and then put them on your unit if you want to go sight seeing or go places auto-routing will not take you. There are even music and video players.

pgp
12-02-2008, 02:56 PM
TomP....It shows NAVTEQ 2008 on the bottom when I turn it on. My menu does not have map and map info under tools. I don`t see a map info screen.

I just got it, still learning what`s what :nixweiss

Cleaning Fool
12-02-2008, 03:11 PM
Love my GPS, especially when your out of town or on vacation. Congrats on the gift