PDA

View Full Version : how fast does ssr3 cut ?

bigron62
08-16-2005, 11:24 AM
I called premium auto care yesterday and ordered a makita rotary . i asked dwayne about an aggressive compound because im spending too much time buffing out scratches with a yellow edge foam pad. and edge yellow wool and P&S clearcut 2 compound. so i stepped up to a black foam pad from edge and ordered a bottle of ssr3 . im always cautious with the rotary but i need a fast cutting combo for deep scratches and spider webbing. has anyone tried this combo? let me know what you think. ive been using the chicago rotary that looks like the makita but it is very loud and tends to bog down under pressure i also dont trust the speed control . i really like the light weight and the makita style handle so i stepped up to the real thing .gotta go i think i heard a UPS truck outside :naughty :nono

G35stilez
08-16-2005, 11:29 AM
I think SSR3 is better fit for the PC because the cut is soo high. The PC can be limited with its capabilities to cut, but with SSR3, it leaves a PC more useful. I have had problems breaking down SSR3 to the point I break Menzerna Powergloss too.

SSR3 usually leaves heavy hologramming for me and requires a full 3 step polish job to become flawless before sealing (IE: SSR 3, 2.5, 1).

With Powergloss and a cutting pad @ 1500 rpm I am able to go straight to Final Polish II or Optimum Polish and finish up flawless. It leaves barely any holograms and cuts at about an 8 out of 10. I haven`t had any problem removing swirls with it...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v157/kappapsi497/DSC02648.jpg

FujiFast
08-16-2005, 08:43 PM
Wow! Nice demo shot!

bigron62
08-16-2005, 10:46 PM
i tried out the edge black foam today on half of my hood with a medium cut compound , that pad is a beast , man that thing cut right thru the spider webbing . i followed with compound and yellow pad and then went to green with polish and it looks smooth but theyre is some hollograms on the hood that im going to get out tomorrow . gsr i think youre right that the ssr3 might be a little much for the black pad . im thinking about polish with the black pad for spiderwebbing because i wont have to buff it long enough to break down the compound but it will cut quickly and i wont have to clean up compound residue .i am the nutty professor of auto detailing im always trying new pad/ product combos with the rotary. its an amazing tool if used properly .. my pc is used on every car i detail but it cant do everything .. thanks for the input . that hood looks great

mtwedt
08-17-2005, 01:43 PM
Sean.....So would you recommend SSR 3 for those of us who only have a PC? Have you any experience with this and the PC? If so, what pad would you recommend? Thanks

bigron62
10-30-2005, 10:19 PM
anyone else want to add to this discussion?

GregCavi
10-30-2005, 10:22 PM
I think SSR3 is better fit for the PC because the cut is soo high. The PC can be limited with its capabilities to cut, but with SSR3, it leaves a PC more useful. I have had problems breaking down SSR3 to the point I break Menzerna Powergloss too.

SSR3 usually leaves heavy hologramming for me and requires a full 3 step polish job to become flawless before sealing (IE: SSR 3, 2.5, 1).

With Powergloss and a cutting pad @ 1500 rpm I am able to go straight to Final Polish II or Optimum Polish and finish up flawless. It leaves barely any holograms and cuts at about an 8 out of 10. I haven`t had any problem removing swirls with it...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v157/kappapsi497/DSC02648.jpg

if that pic doesnt sell PG.. i dont knwo what would.

Greg

sharpie
10-31-2005, 12:39 AM
WOW, im new to the forums and this detailing world....wow that is exactly what I need help doing to my truck! http://www.detailcity.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14994

If you guys woudl be so kind to answer the post above i dont understand stuff liek this "SSR3 usually leaves heavy hologramming for me and requires a full 3 step polish job to become flawless before sealing (IE: SSR 3, 2.5, 1)." Im justa noob :evil:

That is an awsome picture!!!! very nice job!

TrueDetailer
10-31-2005, 01:21 AM
You should step up to a wool cutting pad when your dealing with heavy scratches and defects. a wool cutting pad a good compund will get it done with quickness.

Poorboy
10-31-2005, 07:38 AM
Ron experimenting with the right pad/product combo will lead you to the right choice for each application. The use of a polishing pad with SSR3 on a PC or rotary will cut through spider webbing and scratches very quickly and leave a good finish which will not leave hologramming and a quick light polish will make the finish ready for your LSP ...using a wool pad with a rotary and SSR3 will make even the worst finish or sanding marks clean up very quickly. I have a Ferrari / Maserati dealership that uses SSR3 on new finishes for this very purpose. :) I have found that using a foam cutting pad with SSR3 will create more problems as both are cutting and the cutting pad does not allow the diminishing abrasives do their job.

bigron62
10-31-2005, 08:43 AM
thanks steve ill try the combo on my pc .. should i use a green or blue edge pad for this on my pc?

Poorboy
10-31-2005, 08:52 AM
thanks steve ill try the combo on my pc .. should i use a green or blue edge pad for this on my pc?

I`m not sure of Edge pad color applications, but a polishing pad with no extra cutting ability will let the SSR3 go through it`s stages of being a strong compound and then breaking down into a smooth polish...make sure you fully work the product and allow the diminishing abrasive completely diminish.

mgm2003
10-31-2005, 09:11 AM
I would not compound on a rotary until you have some seat time and become comfortable with the cutting power of a rotary/heat vs. a PC. Take your time and start out using a finishing pad, and don`t go above 1400RPM.

Personally, I would use a PC with SSR3. Try using some by hand on a scratch, and you`ll get a good idea at the cutting power. A PC makes quick work of swirls/scratches. Add a little heat via rotary and you might be saying `oh, sh**`

bigron62
10-31-2005, 09:26 AM
thanks steve ill try the ssr 3 with a blue edge pad tonight .. mgm thanks for the pointers i do pretty well with the rotary nowadays i was just looking for some tips on ssr3 use ..