PDA

View Full Version : Please help me choose a product for my next Lotus detail

golfdude
06-07-2008, 12:17 PM
Hello everyone. I`ve detailed a friend`s Krypton green Elise 3 times now, and within the next few weeks, I will be doing it again. As my processes have improved tremendously, I was able to remove 98-100% of the swirls from the paint last time in late December using Menzerna SIP and a 4-inch yellow Sonus spot pad and the UDM. After 5 hours of polishing, I threw on 8 layers of Zaino within the course of a few days to see how long it would last. In early April I saw the car for the first time since the polishing, and unfortunately, the paint was swirled worse than when I got the vehicle last time, which is frustrating. The paint was still slick though. Nevertheless, as much as I want to use the same trusty combo of the UDM, a 4 inch yellow Sonus pad, and SIP, I worry about the long-term effects of polishing the vehicle to 100% swirl-free again. Keep in mind the clearcoat is fairly soft, as shown by the fact that this combo cuts swirls nicely.

So, I am asking for everyone`s thoughts on what product I should use to fill the swirls instead of polishing. I was really thinking of using Swirlbuster polish a few times, as I heard that using the product 3 times on a panel will fill significantly.

Maybe I am worrying too much?

Thomas Dekany
06-07-2008, 12:21 PM
I did one in the same color, you may want to search to see what I used.

golfdude
06-07-2008, 01:21 PM
Hey Thomas! Thanks for the quick reply. I searched through all your threads and I didn`t find a Krypton Green one. I saw `05 British racing green (dark metallic green), some ardent red, and starlight black. Maybe I missed it somewhere? I just searched "krypton green" on the forums and all that I got was threads started by me! Here`s an example of what I did last time around:

Before polishing:

http://aycu26.webshots.com/image/39105/2003732580442967825_rs.jpg (http://allyoucanupload.webshots.com/v/2003732580442967825)

After polishing, before any sealant applied:

http://aycu36.webshots.com/image/36115/2003787649383099847_rs.jpg (http://allyoucanupload.webshots.com/v/2003787649383099847)

Nevertheless, I do recall the on the starlight black exige that you did, you where able to produce a great finish with only Poliseal...I forgot about poliseal and I may just go with that x2 like you did. Any other thoughts on correcting the paint without polishing heavily?

Thomas Dekany
06-07-2008, 01:54 PM
My mistake. That is a different green. Sorry.

I used the flex on the black lotus so I am not sure if the udm will cut it but you never know.

Another option is to use a heavy compound with a finishing pad.

What do you have?

wannafbody
06-07-2008, 02:25 PM
Poli-Seal will fill fine. I don`t see any purpose in doing it twice tho.

golfdude
06-07-2008, 05:15 PM
Tdekany: Darn! You have the flex. That`s a good machine, but I don`t have one. Soon I`ll want one though. I was even thinking of poliseal via rotary and finishing pad to break down the product as much as possible. I certainly noticed better filling/correcting abilities via rotary. I will consider the heavier compound with lighter pad.

wannafbody: I`m going to see if two layers makes a difference myself. One would think that it would not help since the second layer of poliseal will remove the first layer via cleaning properties, but we will see. In the past I detailed an ardent red Elise with simply poliseal, a green foam edge 2000 pad, and the PC and it worked wonderfully.AI

Here`s my current arsenalof polishes, waxes, and sealants:

-106ff

-SIP

-HTEC

-old line of optimum polishes and compounds

-access to the new line of optimum polishes and compounds

-KAIO

-Optiseal

-RMG (I`ve never had the best success with this product when it comes to truly filling remaining light swirls for those who don`t desire a full job)

-P21S

-z2 pro, z5, z6, z8

-Collinite 476S

-XMT glaze

-natty`s paste wax

I`ll emphasize that I can easily make the car perfect with the UDM, sonus yellow spot pad, and SIP, but I am worried about the long-term effects of polishing with this combo. A gentler, preferably filling combo is what I am looknig for. I appreciate your responses and I look foward to more. THANKS :up

Thomas Dekany
06-07-2008, 08:40 PM
I am worried about the long-term effects of polishing with this combo

I wouldn`t worry about that. You are not removing much clear.

Just use what worked in the past.

However if you have a rotary, you could use 106 or sip on a finishing pad and could get perfect results.

golfdude
06-07-2008, 10:13 PM
I wouldn`t worry about that. You are not removing much clear.

Just use what worked in the past.

However if you have a rotary, you could use 106 or sip on a finishing pad and could get perfect results.

Yeah, you`re right. I think I`ll go with what worked in the past. I appreciate everyone`s help.

Rob Tomlin
06-08-2008, 10:17 AM
Yes, I agree with going with what worked in the past to remove all the swirls again (filling them is not a good idea as it is temporary).

The most important thing here is to find out from the owner what it is that he/she is doing to cause the swirls in the first place.

Sounds like some education in car washing technique is in order!

golfdude
06-08-2008, 11:51 AM
This is really a puzzling situation...I told him how to properly wash a car, and yet the vehicle still comes back in swirly condition. I`ll have to push him/investigate further. I`ll never forget when he came down to VA one time to visit me, his car was covered in a light dirt from driving from NJ. When I drove-up to the car, he was wiping all the dirt away with just a microfiber towel...not even a quick detailer was used! CRINGE! I`ll never forget the time when we were sitting in a restaurant, and we could see the car from the window. A baby went up to the car and started rubbing his finger on the dirty paint. I was going nuts but the owner was laughing and telling me "let him do his thing." I guess some people will always be less protective than others when it comes to maintaining their cars.

Rob Tomlin
06-08-2008, 01:38 PM
This is really a puzzling situation...I told him how to properly wash a car, and yet the vehicle still comes back in swirly condition. I`ll have to push him/investigate further. I`ll never forget when he came down to VA one time to visit me, his car was covered in a light dirt from driving from NJ. When I drove-up to the car, he was wiping all the dirt away with just a microfiber towel...not even a quick detailer was used! CRINGE! I`ll never forget the time when we were sitting in a restaurant, and we could see the car from the window. A baby went up to the car and started rubbing his finger on the dirty paint. I was going nuts but the owner was laughing and telling me "let him do his thing." I guess some people will always be less protective than others when it comes to maintaining their cars.

That`s a shame....especially since it`s a Lotus! ;)