PDA

View Full Version : Gas & Brake Pedals?

Pages : [1] 2

ACE
06-25-2003, 08:13 PM
What do you folks use on the rubber gas and brake pedals? 303? Nothing? Vaseline? (on your mother-in-law`s Sentra)

EBPcivicsi
06-25-2003, 08:20 PM
I usually scrub them with a multi-purpose cleaner and leave them alone. I think dressing them could be dangerous!:confused:

ardetailing
06-25-2003, 09:00 PM
Ditto. White Lightning and a stiff brush.

Tassadar
06-25-2003, 09:23 PM
I have gone oof and cleaned them with just Vinylex. Then I wipe them really good so they are not slippery. Always seems to work fine.

TheCompleteLook
06-26-2003, 01:34 AM
I agree with the above - I use AP cleaner and leave them undressed. Using ANY dressing could be very dangerous and anyone that uses it should reconsider their method.
Tassdar - I don`t mean to pick, but using Vinylex even buffing it out could leave you in a horrible position. We are all friendly here, but just leave the peddles plain, they will look fine.

Tassadar
06-26-2003, 01:41 AM
I am always open to new ideas. And BTW, compared to some of the other message boards I post on, this is the kindest group of people I know of.

rhillstr
06-26-2003, 01:42 AM
Here`s my take:
The rubber pads come off the pedals in most cases. Makes them way easier to work on...

1. 2000 grit wet/dry or 1500 followed by 2000 grit wet/dry to expose clean, fresh black rubber. Also improves grip.... :D

2. Then light coat of 303 followed by thorough buffing to remove any residue. IMHO opinion 303 is just a smidge tacky when dry.

If you are really anal you can go after the crevices too....

-Rob

Boss_429
06-26-2003, 05:28 AM
Originally posted by rhillstr

If you are really anal you can go after the crevices too....

-Rob

Of course you go after the crevices! :D :D

Anyhow, I use Meguiar`s Heavy Duty Vinyl & Rubber cleaner (#39), and a tooth brush (wife`s of course). J/K :D

MattS
06-26-2003, 05:53 AM
I`m an APC guy like the rest, us ea liberal spray and then go after them with a short, stiff bristle brush. Get all the crud and rocks out and leave them liberally clean. I do like the idea of taking them off and sanding, but only for the most anal and high paying of customers.

-Matt

Beemerboy
06-26-2003, 09:49 AM
I spend about 6 hours cleaning a car...If I removed the rubber from the pedals and sanded them ...I`d be even longer..Short of it I clean with a MP cleaner and leave them alone..I doubt that any of my customers really care, or notice.

rhillstr
06-26-2003, 03:24 PM
It only takes perhaps 10 seconds per pedal and it looks awesome. Oxidized, worn, scratched, discolored rubber... GONE!

Beemerboy
06-26-2003, 03:40 PM
I understand that its takes minutes to do this but I would rather use my time cleaning up what the customer is going to look at and thats the paint, seats, etc.

I cleaned a car not long back did teh door jambs and wheels wells dressed them up and when I returned it the customer couod have care less after I pointed that out.

Boss_429
06-26-2003, 06:31 PM
Originally posted by Beemerboy
I understand that its takes minutes to do this but I would rather use my time cleaning up what the customer is going to look at and thats the paint, seats, etc.

I cleaned a car not long back did teh door jambs and wheels wells dressed them up and when I returned it the customer couod have care less after I pointed that out.

BeemerBoy,

I agree! Cleaning the pads to that extent for a customer is probably not necessary. Still, it does add a nice touch.

Anyhow, I only go to that extreme on my personal vehicles! :D

rhillstr
06-26-2003, 08:02 PM
Oh! I forgot to mention. I do it for my own edification (on my vehicles) as I do not professionally detail others` cars.
Sorry for not mentioning this upfront.
-Rob

Tassadar
06-26-2003, 08:04 PM
Just wait till you realize how much money CAN be made in it, then lets talk *evil laugh*.