PDA

View Full Version : Wax removal procedure

Pages : [1] 2 3

FishWagon
06-06-2008, 08:34 AM
When I first got my new truck home last October, I treated it to Clay, Klasse AIO, Jeff`s AJT, and Collinite. I have waxed numerous times since then but I believe it is time for some fresh synthetic sealant (AJT). How should I prep (remove current wax)? The paint is VERY clean still, but definitely has wax that needs removal. I would prefer one step removal (if possible).

Should I....

1) Just wash with Dawn?

2) Use AIO? Does that remove wax?

3) Clay?

Also, do I really need to let the AJT cure overnight before topping with wax?

joyriiide1113
06-06-2008, 08:37 AM
Klasse AIO should work well.

imported_cushdrive
06-06-2008, 10:50 AM
Wash with Dawn, then clay. I have no experience with KAIO though.

Accumulator
06-06-2008, 11:09 AM
Dawn won`t dent a healthy coat of Collinite (at lesat not unless you use it full-strength and good luck rinsing all those suds off if you try that!), and claying aggressively enough to compromise the Collinite would be, IMO, misusing the clay (I clay my Collinite all the time and it sure doesn`t take it off).

AIO *might* do it, but it might just make for a smeary, hard to remove residue instead.

I`d either wipe it down with a solvent like PrepSol or wash it with something like AutoInt`s "A" or P21S TAW.

imported_beachwolverine
06-06-2008, 11:40 AM
Dawn won`t dent a healthy coat of Collinite (at lesat not unless you use it full-strength and good luck rinsing all those suds off if you try that!), and claying aggressively enough to compromise the Collinite would be, IMO, misusing the clay (I clay my Collinite all the time and it sure doesn`t take it off).

AIO *might* do it, but it might just make for a smeary, hard to remove residue instead.

I`d either wipe it down with a solvent like PrepSol or wash it with something like AutoInt`s "A" or P21S TAW.

Can you explain a little more about P21S TAW? The description says nothing about removing wax which would make me think it is ok as a normal car wash. Shouldn`t there be a warning about not using it as your weekly car wash?

Replaces a shelf full of other cleaners!

Quite possibly the most versatile car detailing cleaner ever made.

A little goes a long way.

Interior, exterior, or under the hood... this cleaner cleans it!

Replaces a shelf full of other cleaners!

I first started using P21S Total Auto Wash in 1988 as a general purpose cleaner on my first Porsche. On the exterior, I used it as a tar and bug cleaner. Under the hood, I used it to clean the engine. Inside, I used it on my floor mats, carpet and upholstery stains. It`s one of the best general purpose cleaners I`ve found. No serious car enthusiast should be without it.

PS Total Auto Wash is safe for paintwork (with or without clear coats), rubber, plastic, glass, chrome and all metals. You`ll love the fresh orange scent.

1000 ml. spray bottle. Made in Germany.

Accumulator
06-06-2008, 12:02 PM
Can you explain a little more about P21S TAW? The description says nothing about removing wax which would make me think it is ok as a normal car wash. Shouldn`t there be a warning about not using it as your weekly car wash?

Nah, it`s pretty bad for normal washing. You have to dilute it quite a bit to avoid compromising LSPs and it lacks both lubricity and encapsulation (which I value quite highly for marring-free washes).

It`s a super product for engine compartments/undercarriages and (properly diluted) for nasty interiors, but it`s not really a miracle product that does everything the way the ad-copy implies.

imported_User Name
06-06-2008, 12:11 PM
Wash, Clay, Paint Cleaner, Wash, Polish, LSP.

Accumulator
06-07-2008, 11:03 AM
Wash, Clay, Paint Cleaner, Wash, Polish, LSP.

Yeah, that`s the way to do it with the types of products a normal person would have on hand.

Note that *one* wash with something like AutoInt`s "A", with a claying done during the wash, would have you ready for polish in one step. In my version of a perfect world, people would have a jug of "A" or TAW sitting around for those rare occasions like this one where it`s just the right approach :D

Infraggable Kru
06-08-2008, 05:38 PM
hey guys do you recoomend removing wax (after waxing ) by hand or with a 10" polisher with a microfiber ?

haper
06-08-2008, 06:19 PM
hey guys do you recoomend removing wax (after waxing ) by hand or with a 10" polisher with a microfiber ?

you`d be using a bunch of MF bonnet`s if you were to remove w/ machine, i`d always say remove by hand.

Mindflux
06-08-2008, 06:30 PM
What about CGCWC rather than some of these others? They have CLEAR directions on lsp stripping right on the container.

rjom
06-08-2008, 06:49 PM
What about CGCWC rather than some of these others? They have CLEAR directions on lsp stripping right on the container.

I just used CGW&G this weekend to remove the LSP. Worked great, just like the instructions on the bottle said.

FishWagon
06-09-2008, 07:44 AM
Ok, I cant`t find the full name for "CGCWC" or "CGW&G".

Also, if I use Prepsol or IPA....do I wash again after using it?

Greg Nichols
06-09-2008, 09:31 AM
^^^^^

Chemical Guys Citrus wash and Gloss,

I love this stuff.

Accumulator
06-09-2008, 09:46 AM

If you remove by machine (I use the PC/Cyclos for this quite often), you`ll still have to go over it by hand to get that last ~2% off. But letting the machine do the bulk of the work has its advantages ;) Put the wax on *very* thin or it won`t work well though.