PDA

View Full Version : Rusted Rotors

blownvert
06-05-2008, 08:57 AM
I just got new front rotor and pads and it seems like th inside of the rotors behind the wheel it is rusted.If you look at a angle inside the wheel you can see a layer of rust behind the rotor. I thought my rotors are new from speedy monroe? I know when you wash a car, the actually layer on the rotor where the pad meets gets oxidized, but it goes away when you drive the car. This is actually behind it. Did they not give me new rotors? Ill have to ask them. It seems like any other car I look at in parking lot, there not rusted. It just looks ugly if you go up to the front wheels you can see rust behind it like behind rotor on spindle also.

Mindflux
06-05-2008, 09:02 AM
I`m not sure what you mean? If it`s behind the rotor that leads me to believe it`s something other than the rotor that is rusted?

BigJimZ28
06-05-2008, 09:04 AM
yep that is normal...............steel rust

buy some zinc washed rotors or paint the rotor hats

blownvert
06-05-2008, 09:44 AM
Just thought they wouldnt rust that fast. Looks kind of like crap if you look behind wheel at angle. I just got rotors from them, not going to buy new ones now. Are you saying I paint the back of the rotor?

bamorris2
06-05-2008, 09:48 AM
Funny that this sould come up. I was just noticing this on my truck last night. I purchased new rear rotors a few months back. They`re the "hat" type rotors, with the integrated drum for the parking brake. Anyway, the are now completely covered in rust. I guess the manufacturer (Raybestos) doesn`t have a very good anti-rust covering. I`m thinking that I`ll use some steelwool to get the rust off, then give them a few coats of a high-temp black paint.

Anyone have suggestions on a better way to remove the rust, or a good paint to use?

BigJimZ28
06-05-2008, 09:52 AM
Are you saying I paint the back of the rotor?

YES......you can pant anywhere the pads do not hit the rotor

BigJimZ28
06-05-2008, 09:53 AM
Funny that this sould come up. I was just noticing this on my truck last night. I purchased new rear rotors a few months back. They`re the "hat" type rotors, with the integrated drum for the parking brake. Anyway, the are now completely covered in rust. I guess the manufacturer (Raybestos) doesn`t have a very good anti-rust covering. I`m thinking that I`ll use some steelwool to get the rust off, then give them a few coats of a high-temp black paint.

Anyone have suggestions on a better way to remove the rust, or a good paint to use?

G2 brake paint

blownvert
06-05-2008, 10:13 AM
Funny how only the front are rusted and rear are fine. Ill look into it. I would obviously paint them black.

Domas
06-05-2008, 10:26 AM
I also hate those rusted rotors... I painted mine like this (the ridge too):

http://www.audiforum.ca/Boosted_A4/D.I.Y.%20-%20Cleaning%20Rusting%20Brake%20Rotors/12.jpg

Just use the hi-temp paint.

You can fast and easily remove the rust using a wire brush disc or cap on a drill or angle grinder.

http://www.northerntool.com/images/product/images/339004_lg.jpg

blownvert
06-05-2008, 12:31 PM
the front you cant see since the wheel attaches to it, but its the rear of the rotor. Either way I get the idea. I dont need to clearcoat it do i? I actually have high temp black paint, its not g2 brake paint though. Would water when i clean the wheels or megs wheel brightner ruin the painted area? I mean i wouldnt spray directly on it.

Domas
06-05-2008, 12:43 PM
the front you cant see since the wheel attaches to it, but its the rear of the rotor. Either way I get the idea. I dont need to clearcoat it do i? I actually have high temp black paint, its not g2 brake paint though.

How can you see the rear of the rotor? Are you talking about the rotor side that attaches to wheel hub? I don`t imagine how it can be visible from outside...

Either way, I painted that rear side anyways, just to prevent rusting, however it wasn`t necessary `cause you can only see that side when you remove the rotor from the hub.

I don`t think you need to clearcoat it (if so, you would need high temp clearcoat). Just spray it with paint and it will look nice and tidy :xyxthumbs (at least mine looks like that without any clearcoat, just black caliper paint).

blownvert
06-05-2008, 01:09 PM
How can you see the rear of the rotor? Are you talking about the rotor side that attaches to wheel hub? I don`t imagine how it can be visible from outside...

Either way, I painted that rear side anyways, just to prevent rusting, however it wasn`t necessary `cause you can only see that side when you remove the rotor from the hub.

I don`t think you need to clearcoat it (if so, you would need high temp clearcoat). Just spray it with paint and it will look nice and tidy :xyxthumbs (at least mine looks like that without any clearcoat, just black caliper paint).

Probably the rotor side that attaches to wheel hub, not the actually back side of the rotor. I know you cant see that since it pushes snugged against wheel hub. Its all around that.

imported_sal329
06-05-2008, 07:36 PM
Remove the rust then paint them