PDA

View Full Version : New User - Pinstripe Removal Problem

xbrown
06-04-2008, 09:34 PM
Good evening all,

Been removing vinyl pinstripes from my `95 Volvo using plastic razor blades and 3M adhesive remover. Driver`s side went fine - very faint ghosting, unnoticeable from all but the closest inspection. The passenger`s side, however...

I started on the front quarter panel. The bottom of the two stripes seemed to be two layers of material. Got them off with a little effort, but was left with a prominent ridge in the paint (?) just beneath where the bottom stripe once was. What could be the cause of this? Is there any way for a civilian to remove this, or should it be left to the professionals?

Thanks in advance for all your advice...

Mindflux
06-04-2008, 09:39 PM
Do you know the history of the car? If there is a prominent ridge and it`s paint it sounds like the panel was re-sprayed?

Perhaps it got resprayed and they got overspray on the pinstripe and re-applied a new one right over the old one.

Otherwise are you sure it`s not just some adhesive residue that hasn`t come off?

xbrown
06-05-2008, 03:43 PM
Thanks for the response.

I got the car about eight months ago - know nothing about it but basic maintenance history. Your idea about respray/restriping sounds very plausible. It certainly seems like paint. It`s not leftover adhesive - I cleaned it thoroughly with the 3M and the ridge has almost a sharp edge to it. I wish I would`ve started on that panel - maybe I would have dropped the whole idea. At least it looks great on one side!

Any ideas on abatement or removal?