PDA

View Full Version : The IDA

reparebrise
06-02-2008, 06:14 PM
In communicating with the IDA I was advised that they have yet to reach the 100 members needed to start the election process. I for one find this astonishing to say the least. As a professional detailer how can one pass up such a possibility.

We have in front of us a possibility to improve our industry and our own standing in the realm of automobile professionals.

With membership at only $50 how can you afford not to join, you just need to up-sell one customer on one service and your year`s membership is paid.

What are professionals afraid of that is stopping them from joining? Are you afraid that with an industry voice you will gain too much credibility, or that customers will regard you as more professional because you are a member of an industry organization? Could it be that you are afraid that as a whole we can elevate our industry to a level of professionalism it needs to prosper? Or is it the possibility that the IDA could work with the governments to make detailing more accountable for it,s actions, and in the same step reducing the fly by night car washers that call themselves detailers?

I am sure that in your shops or mobile units you have a gizmo or product that you paid $50 for and it serves no purpose, and if tomorrow another product or gizmo was proposed to you you would not have a problem finding the measly fifty bucks to try it out. So why not try out the IDA as your next gixmo, the difference is that it may actually help you in the long run.

Just for your knowlege I have paid my membership, and this was not a solicited posting, but of my own will, I believe that an industry voice can only help, and at $50 it,s not expensive to try.

To sign up you can follow this link, and with a few key strokes and some well placed mouse clics you are a memeber

International Detailing Association : Become a Member (http://www.the-ida.com/join.cfm)

JonP
06-02-2008, 06:27 PM
I`ll join the IDA

jimmybuffit
06-03-2008, 05:08 AM
Or, Here is an existing option that deserves your support:

Detail Association | NAPDR Means Business- Detail Association for the Detailer (http://www.detailassociation.com/index.php?q=node&destination=node)

http://www.detailassociation.com/files/u41/napdrButton_0.png

Holden_C04
06-03-2008, 05:31 AM
I don`t really find these organizations very convincing. Other than taking $50 per year out of my pocket, what will you do for me? A newsletter is not something of value to me and I don`t really need to be taught anything either, not by a detailing association. I think these organizations have failed to provide value to anyone and that is why they have such trouble gaining new members and retaining old ones.

But...I could be wrong.

Scottwax
06-03-2008, 04:39 PM
I don`t really find these organizations very convincing. Other than taking $50 per year out of my pocket, what will you do for me? A newsletter is not something of value to me and I don`t really need to be taught anything either, not by a detailing association. I think these organizations have failed to provide value to anyone and that is why they have such trouble gaining new members and retaining old ones.

But...I could be wrong.

In the case of the PDA, you`d be exactly right. I think it folded in the late 90s.

Superior Shine
06-04-2008, 07:23 PM
The IDA come to find out is a less then honorable association. I post on their forum in a respectable manner and they delete it. They have deleted four so far.

The question was asked just like it was asked here, "Why arn`t detailers joining?" I simply said I belong to an association I am happy with. I didn`t mention who or didn`t bash the IDA. POOF it was gone. I post more about it bu this time walking on egg shells so they would have no reason to delete it - POOF that one gone to.

Here is what they posted then deleted later on, keep in mind I was just stating I havn`t joined because I already belong to one -

"Mr Fernandez

Your post was deleted because it served no good purpose for our readers. The purpose of IDA Forum is to provide members and potential members information about the IDA, the detail industry and a place for detailers to voice their opinions about detailing matters, and other such pertinent information.

Posts like yours do not fall into these catagories.

You are more than welcome to post on the IDA Forum as long as your posts are of interest to our readers.

Thank you"

MLJ

Secretary

Superior Shine - "Wait a minute!!

The topic of this thread is someone asking why arn`t we all joining the IDA.

I am not joining because I already belong to an association that I am extremely pleased with. Having you (Bud or other detail plus employee/cohorts) decide what is or isn`t of interest to your members is another reason not to join.

Censorship, It works in Cuba and China and worked in the Soviet Union."

Scottwax
06-04-2008, 10:23 PM
:rofl: You tell `em Joe!

Todd@RUPES
07-31-2008, 07:17 AM
I cannot say how much I personally think these organizations are terrible. The NAPDR was jsut as bad as the others IMO.

They told me how much it cost, I asked what do I get....

There response was that I have the wrong attitude and I should pay my money and volunteer my time for the good of the industry...

So they wanted me to pay money and be generous with my time and offered nothing in return, other then I should do it because I make money detailing...

Junebug
08-28-2008, 12:09 PM
Rodney Dangerfield once said,"Any organization that would have me as a member, ain`t worth joining." In my case, I agree with him!

Superior Shine
12-17-2008, 07:53 PM
I have recently joined the IDA. I am going to give them a fair chance.

Allot of folks I personally know and respect have joined.

I did receive an apology from the IDA for the above "deleted post" incident.

Time will tell.......

Superior Shine
11-04-2009, 03:48 PM
OK year and 1/2 later.....................

I joined, I am $50 poorer...... I will not renew, end of story.

Hello Jose Fernandez,

International Detailing Association would like to be paid through PayPal.

Merchant

International Detailing Association

P.O. Box 20755

Portland, OR 97294

United States

503-251-2668

info@the-ida.com

Note from merchant

This letter is to advise you that your membership in the INTERNATIONAL DETAILING ASSOCIATION expires in December and that it is time to renew. As an operator member, your renewal dues are $50.00. Considering the state of the economy the IDA has not raised dues this year in spite of increasing costs. The IDA Board of Directors has many plans for 20010 that will aid you and your company. Visit the website to learn what is being done. If you want to get further involved please send us an email. PLEASE ADVISE IF YOU ARE GOING TO RENEW OR NOT. THANKS.

Description Unit price Qty Amount

IDA Membership Dues

Item # $50.00 1 $50.00

I do wish the IDA and its members good luck.

MichaelSpoots
11-04-2009, 04:09 PM
[COLOR="Green"]

What are professionals afraid of that is stopping them from joining?

Are you afraid that with an industry voice you will gain too much credibility, or that customers will regard you as more professional because you are a member of an industry organization?

Yes.

Could it be that you are afraid that as a whole we can elevate our industry to a level of professionalism it needs to prosper?

Yes.

Or is it the possibility that the IDA could work with the governments to make detailing more accountable for it,s actions, and in the same step reducing the fly by night car washers that call themselves detailers?

Yes.

I forget what fallacy technique this employs...is it "begging the question"? I forget. Good marketing technique though. Good luck to the IDA! :2thumbs:

Superior Shine
11-04-2009, 04:14 PM
The orig poster is no longer a member either as I understand it.

Superior Shine
12-21-2009, 10:33 PM
Here is an interesting read - IDA (http://www.autodetailingnetworkforums.com/post?id=4060277&pid=37268105#post37268105)