PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning gray plastic on Ford Escape?

Obsessive1
06-02-2008, 05:38 PM
It is the gray plastic on the Ford Escapes. What is good for cleaning this stuff? Dilluted Simple Green, Woolite? And for a good protectant? Where it`s gray, hard to make it look good. Thx.

wfedwar
06-02-2008, 06:22 PM
Is this exterior? If so, I like Satin Prot for a protectant. It`s ok as a cleaner. AIO diluted with water is a good cleaner.

imported_truzoom
06-02-2008, 09:47 PM
Regular car soap will get it clean.. maybe use a soft bristled brush to get into the nooks. Follow up with your choice of plastic UV protectant.

Nice username, btw. LOL. Your intentions were obviously innocent but it`s odd to see that word in such a place.

Gemini13
06-03-2008, 05:20 AM
It is the gray plastic on the Ford Escapes. What is good for cleaning this stuff? Dilluted Simple Green, Woolite? And for a good protectant? Where it`s gray, hard to make it look good. Thx.

Are you talking about the front and rear bumpers, fender flares and or side paneling?? Ford plastic trim sucks and fades badly. I know I have an Explorer. AL-53 has a good process for this. It involves an involves cleaning with PrepSol/PrepAll to remove any residual dressings/oils/waxes etc.. Fallow that with a good APC (paint safe in case you get some on the paint/not simple green) and a brush then rinse off and then he goes over it with a Mr. Clean magic eraser to remove any oxidation. He then applies Black WOW x 2 and then a layer of a Duragloss product (I believe its 201) for maintaining the look. Now I`ve done this but with Ultima TTGP and Megs Hyperdressing with good success. My trim looks a million times better but there are a couple of spots on the rear bumper that don`t hold the look for more than a wash. I may try some Black Wow and the DG product in the future.

Obsessive1
06-03-2008, 06:20 AM
Yes, the exterior. It is yellow and the whole bottom half and front and rear bumpers is gray plastic? Black Wow on gray? Has tar and such on it also. Just don`t know if certain stuff would discolor or stain it. Yeah, Meguiars forum wouldn`t let me use this username. Had to go with obsessed1. LOL. Jeesh, perverts. J/K. LOL

Gemini13
06-03-2008, 07:01 AM
Yes, the exterior. It is yellow and the whole bottom half and front and rear bumpers is gray plastic? Black Wow on gray? Has tar and such on it also. Just don`t know if certain stuff would discolor or stain it. Yeah, Meguiars forum wouldn`t let me use this username. Had to go with obsessed1. LOL. Jeesh, perverts. J/K. LOL

Don`t let the name confuse you as it will work on all colored trim pieces. I also have dark gray trim and black door handles. For the tar try prep all and then Power Clean APC from Optimum. Its paint safe and will work on bugs and tar and such.

imported_Larry A
06-03-2008, 07:45 AM
On mine I just cleaned it with mineral spirits to get the tar off and just use a qd on it.