PDA

View Full Version : Running board rust... Help?

ExplorerXLT95
06-02-2008, 10:01 AM
The running boards on my 2000 Ford Explorer XLT are showing some significant rust spots in a few areas.

In general, they tend to be in or near the crevices where the metal/paint meets the plastic foot-pad.

Has anyone had this happen? If so, what did you do to correct the rusting? It looks very unsightly. Any helpful suggestions would be appreciated! Thanks :2thumbs:

MorBid
06-02-2008, 11:18 AM
Rust usually extends farther (underneath the paint) than you can see. In any case you`ll need to remove or convert the rust. Which almost certainly will involve a priming and re painting the effect area.

Morbid

ExplorerXLT95
06-02-2008, 12:18 PM
Dang. I`d almost rather replace the running boards than have to deal with stripping the paint down to the metal, killing the rust, priming and painting all over again.

A detailing buddy suggested RUST-MORT by SEM (69504). Anyone tried this stuff? He swears by it

MorBid
06-02-2008, 01:24 PM
I have and use Rust Mort all the time but it needs to work on the rust itself so any paint that might be there needs to be removed first.

Also after treating the metal with Rust-Mort it needs to be coated with something you can`t just leave it.