PDA

View Full Version : Mobile detailing or Fixed location, which is BEST??????

Superior Shine
06-01-2008, 11:17 PM
The great debate still rages on -

WHICH IS BEST? (http://www.carwash.com/enewsarticle.asp?ArticleID=470)

todd@bsaw
06-01-2008, 11:40 PM
Great article, Joe!

White_07_G6_GT
06-02-2008, 04:53 AM
A good read makes me feel good to be mobile but to also have access a nice big clean garage for the times when I need it.

Driven Auto Detail
06-02-2008, 06:19 AM
I`d say the biggest factor to mobile detailing is the climate. I`m in Indiana so mobile detailing can be difficult (ie - winter). And correct me if my assumption is wrong, but shop owners have more "billable hours" through a 5-day work week vs. a mobile shop. Being mobile, I realize that I spend a lot of time in my truck driving to/from appointments when a person with a shop is able to spend the entire day working.

The best thing I like about being mobile is the opportunities that come from working in a different place each day. If I`m working in a place where other`s can see me, I normally get at least one (sometimes a few) people coming over and asking me for my card and more information.

For the climate I am in, I think a fixed location is definitely the way to go. Although, for me, getting setup to be mobile was easier to start out with.

Scottwax
06-02-2008, 03:30 PM
I remember reading that article when it came out. I`d never want to own a shop. Too costly and too many headaches. Mobile is less costly to get into and maintain, espeically during times when we get a lot of rain and no one is getting details. All I am losing is the money I`d be making, if I had a fixed location, I`d also be losing the rent, paying employees for not working so they don`t quit, etc. Several fixed locations went under in the Dallas area last summer when we had about 3 months of nearly constant rain. Hurt me too but not nearly as bad as if I`d have a fixed location`s bills.

Using ONR to wash cars means I am in full compliance with all ground water/discharge laws too.

imported_Detailing Technology
06-02-2008, 03:54 PM
I`d never want to own a shop unless I was retired early (still young in my eyes) and detailed for amusement. (bills to live are not an issue)

I also really wont work mobile, I do lose a lot of business for that. If I traveled, I could work everyday with no doubt.