PDA

View Full Version : Detailing a brand new Vette Z06 friday, question about chevy clearcoat.

Evenflow
06-01-2008, 02:17 PM
How hard is the clear on these new Z06`s? The car has medium swirling in it, and some light scratches nothing to to terrible.

I will be using my PC and the strongest stuff I have is Optimum Hyper Compound, should that be able to take care of vette CC? Heard it was hard.

wannafbody
06-01-2008, 02:59 PM
I have my doubts that OHC by PC will work but with an orange pad it might have enough bite. SIP is a better choice. If you have a paint supply store nearby 3m 3000 rubbing compound would be a good choice IMO.

rebelde33
06-01-2008, 03:13 PM
You could try using a yellow pad if orange doesn`t work.

Evenflow
06-01-2008, 03:19 PM
I have my doubts that OHC by PC will work but with an orange pad it might have enough bite. SIP is a better choice. If you have a paint supply store nearby 3m 3000 rubbing compound would be a good choice IMO.

does the 3000 work well with the PC?

Might have to bump up to a yellow pad I guess.

wannafbody
06-01-2008, 03:26 PM
does the 3000 work well with the PC?

Might have to bump up to a yellow pad I guess.

It worked great with a 4 inch Sonus yellow pad. It might not finish down as nice on a larger 6 inch orange pad. You definitely need to finish down with a finishing polish such as Menzerna FP2 or Optimum polish.

Evenflow
06-01-2008, 03:30 PM
My original process was going to be..

OHC/IP via PC/6

FPII via PC/6

Souveran

Looks like I might need to switch around now since the OHC/IP might not get things done the way I wanted.

wannafbody
06-01-2008, 04:56 PM
My original process was going to be..

OHC/IP via PC/6

FPII via PC/6

Souveran

Looks like I might need to switch around now since the OHC/IP might not get things done the way I wanted.

IP on an orange pad might work. You really need to try first but it certainly won`t hurt to have a bigger gun in the holster if you don`t kill those swirls With OHC or IP.

bdaly84
06-01-2008, 07:15 PM
I have a "regular" black `07 Z I see quite often. When it was first purchased, it had the usual dealer marks in it...swirls, scuffs...etc. I tried some different combos, but the best I found was...

SIP w/green cyclo pads

OPS w/white cyclo pads

Natty Blue by hand

Sick, sick results. For the wheels, the owner and I took them off and cleaned with PS21 wheel cleaner, polish/sealed the chrome with Mothers Chrome polish and OPS. The wheels are only chrome on the outside...the inner wheel is not polishable...its grooved.

Good luck....the Z is a sick b!tch.:bigups

ptaylor_9849
06-01-2008, 07:37 PM
Evenflow, I`m from MA as well. It took me many, many months to figure out corvette clear coat. I`ve had two vettes during the last 16 months. One being a black C6. Then I smartened up and got a yellow 2007 Z06 that is much more forgiving. Some combo`s are too aggressive and leave major hazing while others weren`t strong enough and didn`t do a damn thing. I will tell you this from experience, corvettes are best handled via rotary. That said, I found two combos that worked really well. First was a purple foamed wool pad with 106ff and the other was SIP and an orange pad. Try your products but be forewarned that a P/C might not do much for you. What color is this Z and please don`t say black.

Patrick

imported_JoshVette
06-01-2008, 07:41 PM
Sorry but I highly doubt you will cut swirls out of a Vette clear coat with a PC no matter which pad you try. You need a rotary to correct that kind of paint.

Josh

Evenflow
06-01-2008, 07:48 PM
Evenflow, I`m from MA as well. It took me many, many months to figure out corvette clear coat. I`ve had two vettes during the last 16 months. One being a black C6. Then I smartened up and got a yellow 2007 Z06 that is much more forgiving. Some combo`s are too aggressive and leave major hazing while others weren`t strong enough and didn`t do a damn thing. I will tell you this from experience, corvettes are best handled via rotary. That said, I found two combos that worked really well. First was a purple foamed wool pad with 106ff and the other was SIP and an orange pad. Try your products but be forewarned that a P/C might not do much for you. What color is this Z and please don`t say black.

Patrick

Black :sadpace:

You should come down Friday (when I am doing the detail) and give me a crash course with the rotary :bigups

ptaylor_9849
06-01-2008, 07:54 PM
Be very careful wiping away residues with your microfibers. Corvette black is so sensitive that it will marr even with a sharp edge of a microfiber. Make sure your towels are folded carefully before wiping. A crash rotary course wouldn`t really work. Becoming proficient with a rotary really takes some time.

backwoods_lex
06-02-2008, 01:26 AM
Be very careful wiping away residues with your microfibers. Corvette black is so sensitive that it will marr even with a sharp edge of a microfiber.

I`m still amazed by that. Uber hard to correct paint that is easily marred. I don`t think that we have gotten a verdict yet on how 105 will do via pc on vette clear. Still waiting.