PDA

View Full Version : is the meguiar`s clay is soft or hard clay?

xxterxx
05-31-2008, 03:21 PM
im planning to buy a set with comes with their quick detailer...

are these clays soft enough to have very low chance of marring?

todd@bsaw
05-31-2008, 04:01 PM
The Meguiars Mild Clay (blue) is very soft and has a low chance of marring. I prefer it to other clays when I am just doing a maintenance detail with little fallout so I do not have to polish.

howareb
05-31-2008, 04:28 PM
im planning to buy a set with comes with their quick detailer...

are these clays soft enough to have very low chance of marring?

The type of clay that you are thinking on purchasing is the Megs White Clay. This clay is OK, but it can be hard to knead and work with. It is not that soft, but should be OK provided that you have enough clay lube (quick detailer). As far as OTC products for clay I like the Megs white, but prefer the Clay Magic (Blue clay). The Clay Magic is usually pretty cheap for a 100 gram bar (Blue) and some lube.

The best clay out there, which is hard to get here in the US, is the riccado clay. It is soft and easy to kneed. Anyone know how many years until this auto magic patent goes away? :(

SuperBee364
05-31-2008, 04:31 PM
Yeah, like Todd said. And the maroon bottle Meguairs QD is a *great* clay lube. The spray bottle it comes in is one of my favorite spray bottles. I have yet to find one that has a spray pattern as good. After you`ve used up the QD as clay lube, keep the bottle and fill it with your favorite QD.

steelwind101
05-31-2008, 05:09 PM
Personally the best clay OTC is the Mothers Yellow stuff in the kits. Its soft and easy to mold in all weathers.

xxterxx
05-31-2008, 05:10 PM
Smooth Surfaceâ„¢ Clay Kit G1016 Product Information (http://www.meguiars.com/?auto-detailing-clay/Smooth-Surface-Clay-Kit)

this is the product i am planning to get...

is this the blue or white clay?

i will not be polishing after claying..so i need a very soft clay...

im contemplating between these 3

1.zymol clay with lehm lube

2.swissvax clay with quick finish

3.megs smooth surface clay kit

SuperBee364
05-31-2008, 05:19 PM
This .... Sonus SFX Ultra-Fine Detailing Clay, 3 oz. Refill (http://www.autopia-carcare.com/son-3200-r.html) is one of the most gentle clays you can get.

howareb
05-31-2008, 05:28 PM
Smooth Surfaceâ„¢ Clay Kit G1016 Product Information (http://www.meguiars.com/?auto-detailing-clay/Smooth-Surface-Clay-Kit)

this is the product i am planning to get...

is this the blue or white clay?

i will not be polishing after claying..so i need a very soft clay...

im contemplating between these 3

1.zymol clay with lehm lube

2.swissvax clay with quick finish

3.megs smooth surface clay kit

It is the white clay

howareb
05-31-2008, 05:31 PM
Personally the best clay OTC is the Mothers Yellow stuff in the kits. Its soft and easy to mold in all weathers.

You also live in the UK. :D You can get some pretty decent clay there. The Mother OTC is probably not the same stuff that we have here. Just my jealousy showing through, sorry!! :sadpace:

xxterxx
05-31-2008, 05:36 PM
If i buy the megs white

what are the chances of marring jet black paint if i used TONS of the QD paul dalton`s style?

howareb
05-31-2008, 05:45 PM
If i buy the megs white

what are the chances of marring jet black paint if i used TONS of the QD paul dalton`s style?

I would say that you would be wasting money on using TONS of QD. (Remember Paul is getting paid about 18k for one detail):D. On a jet black car though the possiblity of marring is always there. So I cannot give you the 100% thumbs up that marring will not occur, but always using an adaquate amount of QD should making it a high probability that marring will not occur.

wascallyrabbit
05-31-2008, 07:11 PM
i use the purple clay from TOL it is really soft and kneads easily. the clay is so soft that it needs to be reshaped/kneaded constantly. the plus side to it is that you always have a clean side working the paint.

imported_Chris223
05-31-2008, 07:21 PM
The Mothers stuff is deffinately good, I just wish I could buy JUST the damn claybar. I have so many damn bottles of Showtime and the small 4oz Cleaner wax it`s insane.

David Fermani
05-31-2008, 08:09 PM
Every time I use the Meg`s blue clay, it marrs the heck out of my finish. Seems like a night and day difference compared to Blue Clay Magic.