PDA

View Full Version : Optimum Poli-Seal not working for me

Pages : [1] 2 3

whatjigg
05-31-2008, 01:21 PM
Hello, well I recently bought some optimum poli-seal and have now tried it on two cars both by hand on a cooler day in the shade (15-16 degrees Cel.) neither with spectacular results. Used on an `02 Honda Accord (dark blue) and an `08 nighthawk black pearl Honda Civic.

Process I followed...

- wash w/ Meg`s Gold Class & dry

- spot specific claying (only on the accorde)

- wash & dry again

- Optimum Poli-Seal by hand

- Clearkote Carnauba Moose Wax by hand <-- an amazing product!!

I found that the Poli-Seal did nothing to correct very minor paint imperfections or swirls on the older car and on the new car didn`t change anything (or add anything to looks). I found if I did one complete section at a time (like the hood) it was quite difficult to buff off so I opted to do small parts of the car instead and simply wipe on/wipe off which prevented any streaking. I also tried using as small a quantity as possible as well as larger quantities to see what made a difference and had similar results.

Anyone have any recommendations of how to properly use this product by hand. From what I`ve read on the forum, Poli-Seal was originally designed to be applied by hand and I refuse to use any powered polisher (they continue to scare me even if they are said to be easy to use...still feels like taking a belt sander to the car).

Thanks in advance to any and all recommendations/advice. :spot

Scottwax
05-31-2008, 04:41 PM
Use it by machine for best results. Same with any polish, actually. Take it from someone who polished out cars by hand the first 10 years or so I had my detailing business. You absolutely, positively cannot polish as deeply and evenly by hand as you can by machine. You either have to step up to at least a PC or UDM or settle for the inferior results you get from hand polishing.

/thread

wannafbody
05-31-2008, 07:39 PM
Poli Seal isn`t a swirl remover. You need to use a real swirl removing polish by PC first and then use Poli-Seal to top it off.

NSXTASY
05-31-2008, 09:04 PM
When using it by hand you need to apply it super thinly.

abbeysdad
06-01-2008, 07:01 AM
Use it by machine for best results. Same with any polish, actually. Take it from someone who polished out cars by hand the first 10 years or so I had my detailing business. You absolutely, positively cannot polish as deeply and evenly by hand as you can by machine. You either have to step up to at least a PC or UDM or settle for the inferior results you get from hand polishing.

/threadYEP - hands down you can apply less product, faster, with better results by machine than by hand - those that say differently aren`t being objective and defend their old fashioned ways. Oh, and a DA polisher like the PC is about as safe as it can get - so safe that it comes up a little short when it comes to serious paint repair...But for routine polishing, minor correction and LSP application - it rules.

SO don`t be afraid - once you use/see the results of a polisher, you`ll never look back!

whatjigg
06-01-2008, 09:38 PM
So i guess the bottom line here is don`t bother with using Poli-Seal without a PC or machine polisher of some sorts.

Thanks for everyone`s comments/advice, Cheers!

Chris@Optimum
06-01-2008, 09:45 PM
No actually the bottom line is to use per directions and have realistic expectations. I don`t mean that to sound smart, but that`s the best way I can put it.

mongo
06-01-2008, 10:12 PM
Try again with a dampened applicator that will help and work in sections.

just get the applicator slightly wet and that should help out.

JaCkaL829
06-01-2008, 10:25 PM
I agree a dual action buffer will work better then by hand 99%. The 1% is if your hitting the buffer against the panel :o Don`t be scared of the machine, it will do wonders.

It`s actually funny that I saw this thread because after I washed my car I wanted to do a quick coat of wax by hand today. After evaluating my NBP honda paint and seeing all the new, wonderful swirls, scratches and marks brought on by daily driving; I decided to use Poli-Seal instead. I also decided to do it by hand because I didn`t feel like bothering with the PC, and I didn`t have too much time. The car looked nice in the shade, but once the sun peaked I still have marring, and actually created some hologramming. I guess a terry applicator with it is to abrasive for the paint.

Mark77
06-01-2008, 10:29 PM
I have used Poli-seal both by hand, Cyclo and rotary. Hand application wasn`t very easy at all, seemed to stick to the paint. By both machines it worked like a charm, very easy to work with as long as you get over the fact that it`s almost invisible. It gives a nice glossy wet look esp on white.

backwoods_lex
06-02-2008, 01:44 AM
Were you working it in to the paint well? Using it like a WOWO wax won`t get you far at all with it.

On a side note, I`ve gotten great results by hand polishing out scratches under door handles with poliseal.

Driven Auto Detail
06-02-2008, 06:28 AM
Poli Seal isn`t a swirl remover. You need to use a real swirl removing polish by PC first and then use Poli-Seal to top it off.

While I`ll agree that Poli-Seal isn`t meant to be used as a dedicated swirl remover, it still does some light correction. I think PS is a good first step for the OP, especially considering it`s soft Honda paint he`s working on.

On the Mini Cooper below, I used Poli-Seal on a polishing pad via the Flex:

Before

http://i229.photobucket.com/albums/ee25/DrivenAutoDetail/Roesner%202008%20Mini%20Cooper%2002-11-08/IMG_3869.jpg

After

http://i229.photobucket.com/albums/ee25/DrivenAutoDetail/Roesner%202008%20Mini%20Cooper%2002-11-08/IMG_3871.jpg

http://i229.photobucket.com/albums/ee25/DrivenAutoDetail/Roesner%202008%20Mini%20Cooper%2002-11-08/IMG_3872.jpg

whatjigg
06-02-2008, 03:21 PM
yea i definitly wasn`t working it in really well, i`ll give it another try when i have LOTS of time and energy to do so

dmcphee07SI
06-02-2008, 08:21 PM
That looks like alot of correction to me, i can`t wait to try mine once it comes in, would a LC white pad do a job as good as that with a flex? what speed?

backwoods_lex
06-02-2008, 09:57 PM
I`ve never used them, but I hear that 1Z polishes are great to use for correction by hand.