PDA

View Full Version : A water spot question for the Autopians!!

mobiledetailkid
05-31-2008, 09:41 AM
I just recently started a mobile detailing setup and I am wondering if there is any product out there that I could add to my tank of water that would help reduce water spots. I have been using a canopy when it is sunny so I have not had any problems, but I recently acquired a few car lots which is 60 plus cars a week and I am looking for a way to save time by not having to move every car under the canopy I would like to be able to just leave cars where they sit and wash. I have spoke with a few different suppliers and have had no success in finding a solution.

Thanks

Drew

SuperBee364
05-31-2008, 09:49 AM
Use de-ionized water to fill your tank. You can get DI`d water from a reverse osmosis water system (initially expensive, but relatively cheap on an ongoing basis), or get de-ionizing filters (relatively cheap upfront, but constantly replacing the media is expensive). CRSpotless` system is a good example.

The only way to guarantee a spot free finish is to remove the substances in the water that cause the spots. That`s what DI`d water is; free of the minerals that cause water spots.

DI`d water will certainly add some additional expense to your overhead, but it will also completely elliminate the worry and additional work of trying to prevent water spots in the heat.

Mindflux
05-31-2008, 09:54 AM
Bee is spot on. Hence why my CRSpotless DIC-20 is on the way.

:p

P.S I can`t stop spending. Darn you Bee.

SuperBee364
05-31-2008, 10:18 AM
Bee is spot on. Hence why my CRSpotless DIC-20 is on the way.

:p

P.S I can`t stop spending. Darn you Bee.

LOL! I seem to have that effect on people.. including my wife!

I can`t decide if I wanna get the 1 cubic foot of DI resin from CRSpotless as my next buy, or a padwasher. Maybe I`ll wait til after I pass my checkride at work next week. :)

Mindflux
05-31-2008, 10:22 AM
LOL! I seem to have that effect on people.. including my wife!

I can`t decide if I wanna get the 1 cubic foot of DI resin from CRSpotless as my next buy, or a padwasher. Maybe I`ll wait til after I pass my checkride at work next week. :)

Speaking of Resin. Why is the 3 "complete refills" more expensive than the 1 CUFT of Resin? They both contain the same amount of resin according to the page for the 1CUFT page. I guess just because they are packaged?

SuperBee364
05-31-2008, 10:30 AM
I was wondering about that too, Fluxy. I guess it`s just the pre-packaged thing.

The next house I build is gonna have a whole-house RO system in it. Won`t ever have to worry about spots again.. inside or out.

wascallyrabbit
06-01-2008, 06:57 AM
check out Products and answers for your water treatment needs. (http://www.airwaterice.com) they have pretty good prices on ro/di systems as well as whole house systems.

imported_Denzil
06-01-2008, 11:09 AM
Hehe, look what I found... :drool: (http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=11201522&whse=BC&topnav=&browse=&lang=en-US)

SuperBee364
06-01-2008, 12:11 PM
check out Products and answers for your water treatment needs. (http://www.airwaterice.com) they have pretty good prices on ro/di systems as well as whole house systems.

Thanks for that link... that one smaller DI unit is very nice. Might be just the ticket to install in the garage.

Hehe, look what I found... :drool: (http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=11201522&whse=BC&topnav=&browse=&lang=en-US)

Don`t tease us, what didja find??

wascallyrabbit
06-01-2008, 04:40 PM
i found my 100 gpd ro/di set up for my salt water fish tank here and a tds meter. use ro/di water for just about everything now, mixing onr and making coffee. have been thinking of a storage tank and pump for washing cars.

AL-53
06-01-2008, 06:43 PM
I have ro/di filters from my reef tank days...it uses a lot of water to make product water...its like 1 to 10 or more..meaning you use 10-15 gallons of watr to make 1 gallon of RO/di waer..you need water constantly flushing the membrane....

I ended up getting a DI unit from Germany..it has to tanks for the resins..one is anion and one is cation.....seperate resins..and the can be recharged..no waste water...i get about 1500 gallons before a recharge....

to recharge one resin takes a lye bath....the other resin tale a muriatic acid bath....no salt used..so th water is pure....lab grade....

Kent marine makes a system like this also now..I believe its called the 200R doing 200 gallons a day and rechargable...you can by resin by the gallon bag...

mixed bed resin filters are a waste of money in my books....to costly...you can buy resin in bulk also from other suppliers....just google anionic and cationic resins....I was buying 20 pounds of each for around 58.00 ....and better grades also....

this is just one place.... BULK DI RESIN (http://www.spectrapure.com/St_replac_p5.htm)

there are better palsces but I have to find them..been a while since I bought any..I just recharge....

the best grade out is called nuclear grade..makes the purest water going...nothing in it..you can not drink it since it has no value to it....but mineral free at the highest levels

Al

imported_Denzil
06-01-2008, 10:20 PM
Thanks for that link... that one smaller DI unit is very nice. Might be just the ticket to install in the garage.

Don`t tease us, what didja find??

Aww, I was hoping you`d figure it out... click on the drooling smiley face. :grinno:

wascallyrabbit
06-02-2008, 05:51 AM
most home ro/di water systems are 3 or 4 t 1. 3 - 4 gals waste water to 1 gal ro/di water.

SuperBee364
06-02-2008, 09:00 AM
I have ro/di filters from my reef tank days...it uses a lot of water to make product water...its like 1 to 10 or more..meaning you use 10-15 gallons of watr to make 1 gallon of RO/di waer..you need water constantly flushing the membrane....

I ended up getting a DI unit from Germany..it has to tanks for the resins..one is anion and one is cation.....seperate resins..and the can be recharged..no waste water...i get about 1500 gallons before a recharge....

to recharge one resin takes a lye bath....the other resin tale a muriatic acid bath....no salt used..so th water is pure....lab grade....

Kent marine makes a system like this also now..I believe its called the 200R doing 200 gallons a day and rechargable...you can by resin by the gallon bag...

mixed bed resin filters are a waste of money in my books....to costly...you can buy resin in bulk also from other suppliers....just google anionic and cationic resins....I was buying 20 pounds of each for around 58.00 ....and better grades also....

this is just one place.... BULK DI RESIN (http://www.spectrapure.com/St_replac_p5.htm)

there are better palsces but I have to find them..been a while since I bought any..I just recharge....

the best grade out is called nuclear grade..makes the purest water going...nothing in it..you can not drink it since it has no value to it....but mineral free at the highest levels

Al

GREAT information, Al, thank you very much! It would really be nice to recharge that resin rather than having to buy bulk media, even if the chemicals necessary to do it are nasty. And thanks for the link to the bulk resin. I think I`ll take your advice and switch to a series of two filters: one anionic, the other cationic. That way I can stop wasting money on the mixed bed resin. Like you said, it`s much more expensive. Hmm.. Rookie question... which filter (the anionic or cationic) goes first in the series? I know you have to do them in the correct order.

Aww, I was hoping you`d figure it out... click on the drooling smiley face. :grinno:

I`m not a very smar man... :) And that`s a good find, but NSXTASY beat you to it. He sent me that link over a year ago! pfffft, and here I thought you were the fastest bargain shopper around. ;) It is a very good price on that system, though.

imported_Denzil
06-02-2008, 11:08 AM
Oh really? Dang, I`m behind! :nana:

Well, now that I know I can purchase this from Costco for that price, I don`t think there will be a rush for me to purchase this. It can wait, hehe.