PDA

View Full Version : Newby here and I need guidance...

USA88GT
08-14-2005, 06:52 AM
Good day,

I have been a "back yard" detailer of my own cars for years. That is until I read many of these posts. You guys are more anal then me. But I like! Anyway, I have an 88 Mustang gt convertible white with 7000 original miles and it is white. I also have a 90GT with 45000 original miles and I need some advice.

My white GT has zaino applied to it and it has a great shine. However there is no depth? Also, my Red GT is the same. Can someone school me on the best of shine for both colours. Please keep in mind I don`t have buffer or such. I have some minor swirl marks and would like to remove them. Also, I have a few micro-scratches from my terry cloth that I would LOVE to remove.

Cheers and great info!

Sherman8r44
09-02-2005, 09:25 AM
Reading these forums, I would say that the Poorboy`s SSR line would be perfect for the swirls and terry scratches. I asked basically the same question you did, and it seems like SSR2 or 2.5, using a terry applicator, is perfect.

Since you are looking for depth, the Poorboy`s EX sealant and the blue Poorboy`s formulations would be best. I would use Poorboy`s Blue Polish-with-Carnauba as a finishing polish for any haze left by the SSR, and then finish it with Natty`s blue wax. Oh, and for the white, a lot of people also like Vanilla Moose Wax.

I personally have never used any of these products, but I have done a lot of research on these and other forums. Since nobody decided to answer, I thought I would chime in...

Sherman8r44
09-02-2005, 09:35 AM
Sorry, I meant Carnauba Moose Wax, not vanilla moose

JaredPointer
09-02-2005, 10:13 AM
From what is sounds like to me, you need to perform a good clay and polish routine on both cars. Zaino is a fine LSP, but from what I understand it really magnifies the prior prep stages, and since you don`t mention doing any of those I think that is your culprit. White is a hard color to get a deep look with, but it can be done. I don`t know that you`ll get it with Zaino as the LSP (as I hear it has a shiny, plasticy look) but there are other sealants and waxes that you can try.

tubafeak
09-02-2005, 11:13 AM
Megs #16 gives some nice depth on white. I`ve got a taurus and with UPP 2x and #16 3x-4x you get months of beading and nice depth for white, it`s also very bright (it attarcts bugs in indirect sunlight and on a sunny day it`s hard to look directly at it). So you know I did spend two days polishing it out with a Makita rotary, an orange tufted light cutting pad, and Optimum Compound. Prep work is the real key, to get the most out of the finish you`ll want to invest in a PC or similar machine, this will let you get the most out of the products you use.