PDA

View Full Version : Mean people suck.

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6

SuperBee364
05-30-2008, 10:35 AM
http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t317/floorpizza/New%20Charger/IMG_1051.jpg

It happened at the local Target parking lot just over a week ago, and it`s taken me this long to cool off enough to post about it. The picture doesn`t really show it very well, but someone tried to sign their name in my car door with a sharp instrument.

On three of the letters, they did a *great* job; they took it all the way to the bare metal.

The car is barely two months old.

So I guess I`m gonna wetsand it with 2k Unigrit, M105, 106ff, 85rd, p21s pcl, vintage.

Hopefully that will at least make it less noticeable. Eventually I`d like to have the whole door resprayed, but I can`t be without the car that long right now. Guess I should probably get an insurance report on it so it doesn`t "time out". I only have a 250 buck deductible on my comprehensive coverage, so a respray would be covered. Just hate to have it done on my brand new car.

imported_dirtdiggler
05-30-2008, 10:37 AM
sorry to see that.. too many haters out there.

awahl63
05-30-2008, 10:48 AM
Wow that is just terrible...I don`t know if I would be able to keep my cool. Sorry Supe :(

Holden_C04
05-30-2008, 10:52 AM
This kind of crap absolutely infuriates me. I don`t know exactly why, but the more you care about your vehicle, the more people are out to destroy it. It boggles the mind.

Accumulator
05-30-2008, 10:52 AM
YIKES, sorry to see that :(

I think I`d maybe try some touchup paint where it`s down to metal, even though my touchups always look crappy. Or I`d at least consider filling it in with clear; I tried that on some hopeless scratches on the M3 and it`s better than *not* doing it (which isn`t saying all that much).

Man I`d hate to think about getting the panel sprayed; I`d find somebody to do a spot repair so you`re opening a slightly smaller can of worms (worked out *great* on the MPV and the Jag- just about perfect, and that`s on silver). Just find a good painter to do it (easier said than done).

VroomVroom
05-30-2008, 10:56 AM
ARGH. I`m really sorry to hear about this. I can totally relate, and it`s incredibly aggravating. Good luck with the repair.

I know it`s not the same, but have you considered one of the spot repair pros? One of my wife`s coworkers has an Infiniti M45...black, no less. He backed into a post in a parking garage and had similar damage. He had a mobile guy come out - $200 and two hours later and the repair was really impressive. I told my wife I had to see it with my own two eyes, and in bright sunlight I couldn`t tell where the work was done. Just a thought...

Holden_C04
05-30-2008, 10:58 AM
Touch ups never work as out as well as I hope. I`m *much* more skilled now than when I did my first, but it`s tough. There`s a reason body shops don`t do them too often.

You may want to try a syringe. See if that works. You can also try the touch up kit, I forget what it`s called now. It`s about $40 and you supply the paint.

Accumulator
05-30-2008, 11:07 AM
Touch ups never work as out as well as I hope. I`m *much* more skilled now than when I did my first, but it`s tough. There`s a reason body shops don`t do them too often...

My good painter does `em like magic...dunno how but *man* does he have the touch! Still, he`d spot that one in with an airbrush/small spraygun.

You may want to try a syringe. See if that works...

IME those apply too much paint too thick but hey, YMMV.

You can also try the touch up kit, I forget what it`s called now. It`s about $40 and you supply the paint.

Ah, you might mean the Langka system, which seems to be sold under a few names these days.

Much as I like the Lanka (for what it is), in this case, i.e., iven SuperBee364`s abilities, I think he`d be happier with wetsanding.

SuperBee364
05-30-2008, 11:09 AM
Thanks guys. Yeah, it really is amazing how the more you love your car, the more people are out to b***h it up for ya. Someone keyed the hood of my yellow bee, now the door of my new one. Makes me wonder why I even bother to try and keep it in good shape.

I`d love to try and do an actual touch-up job on it, but I`m pretty ham-fisted when it comes to such things. Picus has a fantastic thread on how to do it. The results he shows on that thread are amazing. You can`t even see the repair. If I could, I`d buy some touch up paint, then hire Picus to fly down here and do the repair. As Accumulator said, it`s just opening such a can of worms to have the whole door reshot.

Until I can get up the nerve to attempt a repair, I`m just gonna try and minimize it with a sanding job.

Eliot Ness
05-30-2008, 11:13 AM
Sorry Supe, it`s senseless crap like that I`ll never understand. I can see `em stealing your wheels and tires but what do they gain by doing something stupid like that? One of those Touch-Up wizard guys might be able to match that up pretty well w/o having to do the whole door.

SuperBee364
05-30-2008, 11:15 AM
ARGH. I`m really sorry to hear about this. I can totally relate, and it`s incredibly aggravating. Good luck with the repair.

I know it`s not the same, but have you considered one of the spot repair pros? One of my wife`s coworkers has an Infiniti M45...black, no less. He backed into a post in a parking garage and had similar damage. He had a mobile guy come out - $200 and two hours later and the repair was really impressive. I told my wife I had to see it with my own two eyes, and in bright sunlight I couldn`t tell where the work was done. Just a thought...

Yeah.. Picus, but he`s up in Kanuckistan. :)

I might see if I can find someone locally that does these jobs and has a portfolio of their results. I`d rather have to look at the damage than a poor repair job, ya know? It`s so hard to find people that do work that`s up to our Autopian standards.

haper
05-30-2008, 11:16 AM
So I guess I`m gonna wetsand it with 2k Unigrit, M105, 106ff, 85rd, p21s pcl, vintage.

i feel for you. . .

do a good write up on the process you use, show after pictures and look forward to all the "great job" replies.

Pats300zx
05-30-2008, 11:21 AM
That just sucks...People have no respect. Sorry to see that SB...

imported_Chris223
05-30-2008, 11:25 AM
Yet another example of the sad state of this country. Sorry to see that man. People who do that need to be beaten within an inch of their lives.

Holden_C04
05-30-2008, 11:26 AM
Ah, you might mean the Langka system, which seems to be sold under a few names these days.

Much as I like the Lanka (for what it is), in this case, i.e., iven SuperBee364`s abilities, I think he`d be happier with wetsanding.

Exactly. :wavey