PDA

View Full Version : Some PC/UDM questions

Fabre
05-29-2008, 02:26 PM
I have been applying the Klasse Twins on my white 91 Miata for a couple of years and I am now looking at buying at a PC/UDM to remove the swirls and scratches accumulated over the years.

I am in Canada so purchase will certainly be made at eshine.ca

Here are my questions.

1. Their Swirl Buster Kit for either the PC or UDM comes with 5" Backing Plate and 6.5" CCS pads but from what I read on the forum the 3.5" Backing plate and 4" pads seems to be a preferred solution. Should I get the basic PC/UDM and buy 3.5" Backing plate and 4" pads separately or go with a swirl buster kit?

2. If I start with an orange pad, do I use Klasse AIO on both Orange and White pad? If not what`s a good compound to use before Klasse AIO?

3. Is it ok to use a black pad to apply Klasse SG?

Thanks for the help

slckrsx
05-29-2008, 06:36 PM
I have been applying the Klasse Twins on my white 91 Miata for a couple of years and I am now looking at buying at a PC/UDM to remove the swirls and scratches accumulated over the years.

I am in Canada so purchase will certainly be made at eshine.ca

Here are my questions.

1. Their Swirl Buster Kit for either the PC or UDM comes with 5" Backing Plate and 6.5" CCS pads but from what I read on the forum the 3.5" Backing plate and 4" pads seems to be a preferred solution. Should I get the basic PC/UDM and buy 3.5" Backing plate and 4" pads separately or go with a swirl buster kit?

2. If I start with an orange pad, do I use Klasse AIO on both Orange and White pad? If not what`s a good compound to use before Klasse AIO?

3. Is it ok to use a black pad to apply Klasse SG?

Thanks for the help

I`m not an expert but hopefully this will help you out a little

1. I`d get the swirl buster kit with the bigger pads to do the larger panels of the car because it will take a very long time to polish the entire car with 4" pads. I`d also pick up the smaller backing plate and 4" pads to do the smaller/tighter areas of the car. Just for reference when I bought my udm from eshine I got the swirl buster kit with 2 oragane 1 white (UDM comes with one already) 1 black and 1 blue pad, then I also purchased the 3.5 BP with 1 orange 1 white and 1 black 4" pad.

2. The Klasse AIO won`t do much on swirls so you will need some sort of polish. The Menzerna SIP/106FF combo has been getting a lot of rave reviews here but they are pricey. I bought poorboys 2.5 and 1.0 myself and think they do a real good job for what they cost. When polishing do a small test panel first to figure out what combo of polish and pad you will need to remove the swirls you have. Always use your least abrasive combo first and move up until you get the results you want, for example if you were using poorboys 2.5 and 1.0 start with 1.0 on a white (polishing) pad and see if you get the results you want. If that is not good enough use 1.0 on an orange (light cutting) pad, if still no good move up to 2.5 on a white pad etc.

3. I think it is ok to apply SG with a black pad.

Eliot Ness
05-29-2008, 07:26 PM
Just make sure you get a small BP and some 4" pads. You`ll cover less area than the larger pads but the cut will be so much better you`ll actually save time doing corrections. The smaller 4" pads won`t bog down the PC and you`ll get corrections done a lot faster.

Fabre
05-30-2008, 11:11 AM
Thanks for the advice.

So how does this configuration sound

- UDM (incl 5" BP and 1 x 6" White pad)

- 1 x 6.5" Black Finishing Pad

- 1 x 3.5" Flexible BP

- 1 x 4" Orange Mild Cutting Pad

I am trying to stay under $200 CAD

By the way is the BP that comes with the UDM the same as the 5" Flexible BP?

I am still unsure what to use with the Orange Pad, could I use some Einszett Intensive Paste `Pasta and then use the Klasse Twins?

God77
08-24-2008, 09:27 PM
Hi All,

I want to know whether UDM and PC are the exactly same products except Labels. But there is a price difference around $20. Why? Both are produced by Porter Cable and looks exactly the same. I plan to buy a DA Polisher but thinking whether UDM will be a bit more powerful than PC? If so, that $20 is a worth.

Thanks,

RDAVEX7
08-24-2008, 11:19 PM
The current version of the UDM is different than the PC and from what I have read here on the forum the new version UDM 2.0 yet to be released is going to be made by PC. The current version UDM does have more power than the PC and I hope the 2.0 does too.

Eliot Ness
08-25-2008, 06:53 AM
...........I want to know whether UDM and PC are the exactly same products except Labels. But there is a price difference around $20. Why? Both are produced by Porter Cable and looks exactly the same. I plan to buy a DA Polisher but thinking whether UDM will be a bit more powerful than PC? If so, that $20 is a worth.............The original UDM-1000 (no longer being sold) was different from the PC and had more power. It looks like version 2, as originally announced, will never come out. The UDM now being sold is the UDM-1000-PC which is based on the PC-7424:

Car Polisher, Auto Buffer - The Ultimate Detailing Machine by Porter Cable (http://www.autopia-carcare.com/udm-1000-na.html)

The closest thing you`ll find to the original UDM is the Meguiar`s G110:

Meguiars G110 Polisher (http://www.autodetailingsolutions.com/meguiars-G110-polisher.htm)

The following Dual Action Polisher Comparison Chart might be of interest:

Dual Action Polisher Comparison Chart - Car Care Forums: Meguiar`s Online (http://meguiarsonline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21120)

Remember that the UDM in that chart is the original one no longer being made. The G100 is just a rebadged PC so those specs are the same for any of the PC`s (7424, 7335, 7336).

So to answer your question more directly, no, the current UDM based on the 7424 does not have more power. It does, however, come with a good 5" backing plate and a white DAS polishing pad.