PDA

View Full Version : Silver Vs. Black

ricka
05-28-2008, 02:47 PM
Been into detailing since picking up an Audi year and half ago and with help from forums like this. It`s always a pleasure and rewarding working on nice paint. The silver metallic looks great in low-light conditions (love the dusk). But I`ve always been envious of the remarkable reflections by the click and brag black cars posted. Yeah, I know they are a pain but definitely fun until dust/pollen/waterspots/overspray/you-name-it ruin the perfect job.

So, while my car received its 25k maintenance, the dealer gave me a BLACK Audi. Hmm. Call me nuts, but I had to wash and seal it when getting home--just to get my dark paint jones satisfied.

Observations: Was fun to mess with black paint. The reflections are truly rewarding--especially in the garage. However, 24 hours later driving to the dealer, those looks diminished far too quickly for me. The silver, while not earth-shattering compared to just-washed black does hold up much, much better--looks great going through tunnels or in shadows too.

Also, its so much cooler in the Texas oven. Couldn`t believe how hot the inside of the black Audi got (didn`t help that the windows weren`t tinted). Black just begs for barely legal tinted glass.

Anyway, I have even more respect and empathy for you black paint owners. That color is truly a labor of love--with maybe some insanity thrown in. I`m clearly OCD with silver paint. Not sure what mental institution they`d send me to with a black ride...:hairpull

VroomVroom
05-28-2008, 03:03 PM
Not sure what mental institution they`d send me to with a black ride...:hairpull

:D I had a black vehicle for just under two years (traded it on an Audi, btw) and I think my wife`s heart rate went down more than mine...I constantly freaked out, but she had to deal with me. :lol

jswift2000
05-28-2008, 05:35 PM
:D I think my wife`s heart rate went down more than mine...I constantly freaked out, but she had to deal with me. :lol

I have a white car (2007 TL) and I freak out if anyone comes near the car. I owe all that to this forum and my new found disease...:sosad

Legacy
05-28-2008, 06:17 PM
Been into detailing since picking up an Audi year and half ago and with help from forums like this. It`s always a pleasure and rewarding working on nice paint. The silver metallic looks great in low-light conditions (love the dusk). But I`ve always been envious of the remarkable reflections by the click and brag black cars posted. Yeah, I know they are a pain but definitely fun until dust/pollen/waterspots/overspray/you-name-it ruin the perfect job.

So, while my car received its 25k maintenance, the dealer gave me a BLACK Audi. Hmm. Call me nuts, but I had to wash and seal it when getting home--just to get my dark paint jones satisfied.

Observations: Was fun to mess with black paint. The reflections are truly rewarding--especially in the garage. However, 24 hours later driving to the dealer, those looks diminished far too quickly for me. The silver, while not earth-shattering compared to just-washed black does hold up much, much better--looks great going through tunnels or in shadows too.

Also, its so much cooler in the Texas oven. Couldn`t believe how hot the inside of the black Audi got (didn`t help that the windows weren`t tinted). Black just begs for barely legal tinted glass.

Anyway, I have even more respect and empathy for you black paint owners. That color is truly a labor of love--with maybe some insanity thrown in. I`m clearly OCD with silver paint. Not sure what mental institution they`d send me to with a black ride...:hairpullRemember BLACK is not a color, its a part time job!

03SilverDak
05-28-2008, 06:52 PM
black can be nice as I had a 89 mustang black and kicked my self during the pollen months and after every rain. then when it was like 95 in shreveport la. I made the mistake of leaning on my car. got a nice burn on my forearms. I think a stove burner on high would of been cooler. that was the last black car I owned. after that was one purple truck and 2 silver vehicles (one car and my current dakota) I can lean on it and not have to worry about first degree burns. plus you can go longer not cleaning it and it dont look that bad :woot2:. try that with black :laugh:

still miss my black stang at times

Deep Gloss Auto Salon
05-28-2008, 07:00 PM
Owning a black vehicle = part time job!

ricka
05-28-2008, 07:11 PM
I have a white car (2007 TL) and I freak out if anyone comes near the car. I owe all that to this forum and my new found disease...:sosad

yeah, the unfortunate part of having a glistening car is EVERYONE wants to touch it. not just touch it but run their hands along the hood and across the fenders. bite my lip every time someone does it. makes one wish there was a light shock activator when folks reach out to caress the paint...:scared:

Rob Tomlin
05-28-2008, 08:04 PM

Anyway, I have even more respect and empathy for you black paint owners. That color is truly a labor of love--with maybe some insanity thrown in. I`m clearly OCD with silver paint. Not sure what mental institution they`d send me to with a black ride...:hairpull

All good points.

I`ve had three black cars, and two silver cars. You nailed it when talking about Silver at dusk (and night). The Silver paint just glows. In direct/bright sunlight, the paint is too bright to even look at (not a good thing). So there is definitely a trade off.

I loved black. Nothing like that deep reflection. But it is also a very frustrating color. Far too difficult to keep looking good. I doubt that I will ever own another black car.

GP guy
05-29-2008, 09:09 PM
The idea of having a black car sounded fine, but after a year of owning one it seems that my schedule revolves around when the next wash&wax job is needed especially after alot of rain. The sight of dirty spots drive me nuts! So next time my choice might be silver?