PDA

View Full Version : People using Foam gun

blownvert
05-28-2008, 02:14 PM
I just got the gilmour foamaster II and I use duragloss 901. How do you actully do this? I read you fill up the quart canister 2-3oz then fill the rest with water and shake it?. What setting do I put it at? A? When i look at the ratio dial chart, it says A 1-128, 1oz/gal. Im guessing 1-128 is ounces since that equals 1 gallon. Shouldnt it always be on setting A because car was fluid most of the time is concentration 1oz to 1 gallon of water. So realistically when i put 2-3oz of DG in canister and then fill the rest of the quart with water. I usually get 3 gallons of water out of the sprayer until it goes empty? Does anyone use this deflector?

tom p.
05-28-2008, 02:32 PM
For one car I use 1 oz of Duragloss and fill the container half way. That`s plenty and I run the sprayer on "E".

This is really a trial `n` error scenario and you`ll get a feel for it over time. I`ve been using mine for about 1 year and find some soaps are much better suited to the foam gun than others. Duragloss is a keeper.

Once you`ve settled on a soap and get a sense of dilution, I`ll mix up gallon of wash solution in a plastic bottle so I can just dump `n` go. No measuring, no mixing. I would probably add 4 ozs of Duragloss to a plastic gallon and fill with water. I can then pour this blend into the Gilmour when I`m ready to wash. (Credit to Accumulator for this strategy :) ). I`ve tried quite a few soaps - - with some you`ve got to double the amount to get any serious action with the foam gun. It`s crazy how much soap you end up washing down the driveway.

Enjoy.

blownvert
05-28-2008, 02:45 PM
hmmm thanks im going to go try it out now. i have been washing and QD my car like every 2 days now lol. So putting it on E, doesnt that mean it will use more in the container when you spray out?

blownvert
05-28-2008, 04:09 PM
that was pretty much perfect for 1 car foaming it down. 3 cap fulls = 1oz. I will probably make the mixture in a 1 gallon jug, so its all ready to go and i just pour it in. It was actually dangerous for my 1st time with the shutoff valve and everything hooked up. When i took off the fire hoze nozzle sometimes i forgot to turn the shutoff valve off so all that pressure came out fast. Also that happened when switching the foam gun out. I forgot to turn off the shutoff valve, since its down below, since i use the gilmour handle with the foam gun still.

tom p.
05-28-2008, 04:31 PM
So putting it on E, doesnt that mean it will use more in the container when you spray out?

Yes, "E" is max strength.

that was pretty much perfect for 1 car foaming it down.

Fancy that :xyxthumbs

Yeah, I`ve got a shutoff valve/quik disconnect right at the end where it attachs to the Gilmour spray handle.

slowsilvy
05-28-2008, 05:34 PM
I only fill mine up with 2-3 cups of water and use about 1-2oz of soap, that works a lot better for me than when I use 1-2oz and fill the canister up completly. Also I have mine set on E.

blownvert
05-28-2008, 05:47 PM
how long do you wait for it to break down then start wiping with your wash media? Today was hot and the longer I waited it seemed like the soap was drying. Dont you foam the whole car then wipe it all down or do section by section?

jb1
05-28-2008, 06:20 PM
I use 901 with no dilution. I put my setting on the 1 oz./gallon hole. I do a pre-soak, wait several minutes then rinse. Then I constantly flood each panel as I wash. I go through a lot of soap but it works for me. I got the Autogeek one if that helps.

Bunky
05-28-2008, 07:24 PM
You can use various dilutions but keep the final spray as 1 oz per gallon. For example if you put in 2 oz wash and 6 oz water you set the meter to 4 oz (middle setting) to get a final 1 oz of soap with about a gallon of water on the car.

blownvert
05-28-2008, 08:23 PM
tom p: is the way your doing it fine? everyone else says now do 1oz setting. I dont know

tom p.
05-29-2008, 05:37 AM
tom p: is the way your doing it fine? everyone else says now do 1oz setting. I dont know

Try the lighter solutions and see if it feels right to you. Some of the soaps are too thin at that dilution. (I use many other soaps in addition to the 901.)

Most of the time I foam 1/3 of the car, wash, rinse. In cooler (not sunny) weather I may foam the entire vehicle and just wash as fast as I can. I don`t like the soap to dwell too long, and I definitely don`t want it drying on the car.

HTH

blownvert
05-29-2008, 09:00 AM
Try the lighter solutions and see if it feels right to you. Some of the soaps are too thin at that dilution. (I use many other soaps in addition to the 901.)

Most of the time I foam 1/3 of the car, wash, rinse. In cooler (not sunny) weather I may foam the entire vehicle and just wash as fast as I can. I don`t like the soap to dwell too long, and I definitely don`t want it drying on the car.

HTH

i only use 901 right now. So if i put i on a lighter setting like A, that mean it will spray out less soap mix and more water, but have the canister last longer?

tom p.
05-29-2008, 02:06 PM
i only use 901 right now. So if i put i on a lighter setting like A, that mean it will spray out less soap mix and more water, but have the canister last longer?

Sure, that`s another way of achieving the same thing and the canister will last longer.

"A" is really weak at that dilution ratio we mentioned above. I guess you could put a much stronger solution in and not have to fiddle with it so often. My only concern is that they want you to purge the system and rinse it with clean water following every use. I don`t think they want you to store your preferred brew in the plastic bottle for long periods as they suggest it clogs an orifice...

I don`t purge mine (with clean water) very often. I`m starting to get a funky spray pattern. I may need to check this. I do a simple rinse and leave my unit dis-assembled when not in use.