PDA

View Full Version : Use of Nu Finish

Pages : [1] 2

money pit!
05-28-2008, 12:49 PM
Hey all...

I have a little bit of confusion of when Nu Finish (The Once a Year Car Polish:nono) should be used. Normally, polish would be applied before wax. But Nu Finish sounds more like it replaces wax, so is it truly a polish?

Looking at some other threads, I know Nu Finish has quite a bad rap on this forum, but I bought it before I joined. I also have a bottle of Mequiars wax - how does everyone feel about that? Turtle Wax "Ice" detailers?

Yes, I`ve searched, so sorry if this has been beaten to death.:bow

Thanks in advance!

E300Diesel
05-28-2008, 12:53 PM
:tumblewee

abbeysdad
05-28-2008, 12:56 PM
They refer to Nu Finish as a `polish` because it`s a polymer sealant rather than a wax - it is not a polish like the polish and compounds referred to in here - and you`re correct, NuFinish gets bad press in here. I really can`t speak to the other specific products you mention except to say that most products with`wax` in the name usually contain carnuba wax, while other products with poli, sealant, acrylic etc in the name are polymer sealants, not waxes.

jswift2000
05-28-2008, 01:21 PM

I laughed at this, not the topic.

tom p.
05-28-2008, 02:40 PM
I laughed at both!

I think many have referred to NuFinish as "liquid sandpaper" due to its harsh nature or the "Once a year car polish - - whether it needs it or not" :)

MidLife Cruiser
05-28-2008, 03:17 PM
Look. Nu Finish is some pretty harsh stuff. BUT if your car has been neglected and needs some cleaning up, AND if Nu Finish is all you have to do it with, go ahead. It`s no "paint job in a bottle"I doubt that I will ever buy it again, but I have used it on some rather neglected finishes to remove oxidation and bring back some luster. I topped them with Meg`s 26 and they looked okay. Not up to Autopian standards, but certainly passable for everyday drivers. Are there better products? You betcha, and I`d never recommend the regular use of Nu Finish. However, use it and see if it works for you. After all, it`s what matters to you that matters.

Setec Astronomy
05-28-2008, 04:03 PM
The term "polish" doesn`t have a precisely agreed upon definition. Polishes can be abrasives used to clean and remove defects from paint (the most common definition used here), to the Duragloss and Zaino definitions (essentially LSP`s), to Meguiar`s use of the term "pure polishes" for their glazes.

IIRC the "webster" definition of a polish is something used to make an object shine.

NuFinish is simply a cleaner "wax" (regardless if the base is polymer or a natural wax).

Suki22
05-30-2008, 05:47 AM

:rofl:rofl:rofl:rofl:rofl^^^^^^^^^^^^^

elgineddie
05-30-2008, 08:46 AM
Wait, I thought it was a "Space Age Polymer". You know... SPACE AGE. Like from 1970.

Hello? Is this thing on?

Sorry about that, but in all seriousness my buddy and I secretly did a coworkers car with NuFinish over a lunch hour as a joke. He had a faded 1980`s Dodge Omni which we constantly gave him a hard time about. You should have seen his face when he came out at 5! The hand-applied NuFinish worked pretty good for an "as seen on TV" product. I wouldn`t use it for anything I own but it did work.

E300Diesel
05-30-2008, 09:07 AM
No disrespect to the original poster, but I couldn`t resist :chuckle:

E300Diesel
05-30-2008, 09:10 AM
On a positive note, I would bypass the Nu Finish all together and go for the Meguirs NXT wax. It`s a decent wax that is available at your local retailer!

Gopher
05-30-2008, 09:57 AM
if you just purchased it, see if you can return/exchange it. Otherwise, like Mid-Life said.

Bunky
05-30-2008, 04:46 PM
I was a former Nu Finish owner and just one smell of the latest version makes me sick of the years I lost.

money pit!
05-30-2008, 07:26 PM
No disrespect to the original poster, but I couldn`t resist :chuckle:

No worries. I knew what to expect if I made a post about NuFinish. :)

backwoods_lex
05-31-2008, 05:39 AM
So what exactly is it? A sealant? AIO? Polish? I actually bought a bottle about a year ago thinking it was a glaze but just threw it on the shelf when I realized it wasn`t. $5 that I`ll never get back.