PDA

View Full Version : boars hair brushes?

imported_gators241987
05-28-2008, 10:38 AM
Mine has seen better days and is time for a replacement. Where is everyone buying theirs from? I paid $20 a good while ago for mine, the cheapest ive seen is around $40 for them. Any better deals?

Eliot Ness
05-28-2008, 11:02 AM
$40 sounds pretty cheap for a full size high quality BHB. I bought mine a couple of years ago at TOL (http://www.topoftheline.com/boarhairbodw.html) but it now sells for about $60. I did just order a BHB for wheels this weekend from Detailer`s Domain for ~ $25 before the holiday 15% discount.

Accumulator is the resident BHB expert and I`m sure he`ll offer some valuable insights.

BTW, my BHB from TOL doesn`t look quite like their picture. Mine has darker bristles and a nicely finished wood handle. It seems to be very high quality and it passes the CD test just fine.

Eisen Hulk
05-28-2008, 11:05 AM
CD test?? I`m assuming that if you take the BHB and swirl it around on the shiny side of a CD and it doesn`t scratch, then it`s soft enough to use on paint.

Am I close?

$40 sounds pretty cheap for a full size high quality BHB. I bought mine a couple of years ago at TOL (http://www.topoftheline.com/boarhairbodw.html) but it now sells for about $60. I did just order a BHB for wheels this weekend from Detailer`s Domain for ~ $25 before the holiday 15% discount.

Accumulator is the resident BHB expert and I`m sure he`ll offer some valuable insights.

BTW, my BHB from TOL doesn`t look quite like their picture. Mine has darker bristles and a nicely finished wood handle. It seems to be very high quality and it passes the CD test just fine.

Eliot Ness
05-28-2008, 11:14 AM
CD test?? I`m assuming that if you take the BHB and swirl it around on the shiny side of a CD and it doesn`t scratch, then it`s soft enough to use on paint.

Am I close?Pretty close ;)

You can use the CD test with anything you`re going to touch your car paint with (MF`s, wash mitts, BHB`s, etc.). One tip is to use a manufactured CD because the burnable CD`s are really too soft..... pick up some AOL CD`s next time you see a display. Tip two is to use the MF, BHB, etc. just like you would on your paint........ use a wash solution, spray with some QD, etc.. No scratches= safe for use.

SuperBee364
05-28-2008, 11:14 AM
Yup. Mix up some car wash soap as you would for your wash, dip the brush in it, then go after the CD. If it mars the CD, you need to work on a different combo.

Eisen Hulk
05-28-2008, 11:15 AM
:xyxthumbs

Many thanks, John!!! I will definitely pick up some of the AOL CD`s.

Pretty close ;)

You can use the CD test with anything you`re going to touch your car paint with (MF`s, wash mitts, BHB`s, etc.). One tip is to use a manufactured CD because the burnable CD`s are really too soft..... pick up some AOL CD`s next time you see a display. Tip two is to use the MF, BHB, etc. just like you would on your paint........ use a wash solution, spray with some QD, etc.. No scratched= safe for use.

Eisen Hulk
05-28-2008, 11:23 AM
Thanks, Supe.

SuperBee364
05-28-2008, 11:30 AM
This one....Montana Original 10 inch Boar’s Hair Brush is a soft, gentle car wash brush for cars, trucks, SUVs, and boats. Auto wash brush boar hair brush (http://www.autogeek.net/prbohabr.html)

is very good. When I bought this brush just over a year ago, the base of the brush was wood. Other than that, it`s the same brush. It has held up well to many, many washes and still passes the CD test. Which is good, cause it`s *expensive*.

However, it is almost like using no wash media at all because it`s so gentle. If you get this brush, carefully inspect your car`s finish after you have used the brush and then rinsed. It is very possible that there will still be road grime or other contaminants still on your paint. Needless to say, using a drying towel at this point wouldn`t be good. Don`t try and push harder on the brush to try and get it to be more effective at cleaning. You risk damaging the bristles, which will cause the bristles to be more likely to mar your paint.

Pro: It`s not gonna swirl your car

Con: It is so gentle, you need an LSP that *readily* releases surface contaminants to get your car totally clean with it. Almost *too* gentle.

Edit: I should probably note that I never use any touch-based method to dry my car after using the BHB to wash. There is just too great of a chance of there still being something on the paint that would then cause marring during the drying process. I do the open hose rinse, then leaf blower.

Eisen Hulk
05-28-2008, 11:41 AM
Thanks for the write-up, Supe.

Hmm...I see another order on the horizon....Your work here is done. :xyxthumbs

This one....Montana Original 10 inch Boar’s Hair Brush is a soft, gentle car wash brush for cars, trucks, SUVs, and boats. Auto wash brush boar hair brush (http://www.autogeek.net/prbohabr.html)

is very good. When I bought this brush just over a year ago, the base of the brush was wood. Other than that, it`s the same brush. It has held up well to many, many washes and still passes the CD test. Which is good, cause it`s *expensive*.

However, it is almost like using no wash media at all because it`s so gentle. If you get this brush, carefully inspect your car`s finish after you have used the brush and then rinsed. It is very possible that there will still be road grime or other contaminants still on your paint. Needless to say, using a drying towel at this point wouldn`t be good. Don`t try and push harder on the brush to try and get it to be more effective at cleaning. You risk damaging the bristles, which will cause the bristles to be more likely to mar your paint.

Pro: It`s not gonna swirl your car

Con: It is so gentle, you need an LSP that *readily* releases surface contaminants to get your car totally clean with it. Almost *too* gentle.

Edit: I should probably note that I never use any touch-based method to dry my car after using the BHB to wash. There is just too great of a chance of there still being something on the paint that would then cause marring during the drying process. I do the open hose rinse, then leaf blower.

imported_gators241987
05-28-2008, 12:13 PM
I bought this and it finally got in today. Boars Hair Interior Detail Brush (http://www.detailersdomain.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=57)

did the cd test, it finely scratched it numerous times. waste of $10.

wascallyrabbit
05-28-2008, 12:36 PM
can you use a bhb with onr probably a bad idea?

Accumulator
05-29-2008, 12:48 PM
For anybody buying a new BHB, I recommend a quick look at my BHB comparison thread (sorry, no link handy but IMO it`s worth the dreaded search). Go for quality, *NOT* price ;) And inspect and test *any* BHB before use and on regular intervals afterwards.

Note that *IMO* the BHB is something that oughta be used with a foamgun rather than on its own. The foamgun`s output, directed at the point where the BHB contacts the paint, makes great use of the BHB`s free-rinsing nature and provides plenty of flushing and lubrication.

Note also that if you use a BHB *without* a foamgun, in a manner that makes the wash go nice and quick..you`re likely to get some pretty significant marring (from the dirt, not the BHB itself). It`s very tempting to use the BHB in the "wrong" way because doing that makes things go very quick and easy.

CD-testing: test the CD *exactly* the way you`d wash a panel of your car. For me that means soaking the BHB for a while before use, using plenty of shampoo mix, and having the CD wet with shampoo mix before testing.

..I never use any touch-based method to dry my car after using the BHB to wash. There is just too great of a chance of there still being something on the paint that would then cause marring during the drying process.

I do OK using a *very careful* BHB/foamgun follow-up after the initial BHB/foamgun passes. Gotta be careful though.

I bought this and it finally got in today. Boars Hair Interior Detail Brush (http://www.detailersdomain.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=57)

did the cd test, it finely scratched it numerous times. waste of $10.

Did you test it soaked/wet with wash solution, touching gently enough that you barely bend the tips of the bristles? Sorry, didn`t intend for that to sound accusatory...I have a *very* similar-looking one that was part of the Griot`s pn 15520 kit and it works fine for doorjambs/etc., at least until the tips wear down.

, my BHB from TOL doesn`t look quite like their picture. Mine has darker bristles and a nicely finished wood handle. It seems to be very high quality and it passes the CD test just fine.

Eh..you were luckier with the TOL BHB than I was :nixweiss (See my comparison test.)