PDA

View Full Version : Process Credit Cards on a Mobile Detail

Pages : [1] 2 3

Holden_C04
05-27-2008, 01:27 PM
What options are out there for processing credit cards/debit cards completely wireless? Ideally, I would like to use a Blackberry for processing transactions but the software I see for doing so costs $700. :nono

Costco offers a service and the regular (i.e. wired) one is like $25/month rent for the machine, 1.67% on swiped transactions for Visa and Mastercard, $0.08 per debit transaction, $25 application fee, and $5/month statement fee.

It`s not bad but I don`t know how much the wireless unit will be and how reliable service is.

What options are there?

brwill2005
05-27-2008, 01:54 PM
Do you have enough customers that demand credit card acceptance? If so, will it offset the cost of the machine and processing fees? In my case, very few people ask. The ones that do, simply pay cash or check when I say I do not accept CC`s.

Holden_C04
05-27-2008, 02:06 PM
Do you have enough customers that demand credit card acceptance? If so, will it offset the cost of the machine and processing fees? In my case, very few people ask. The ones that do, simply pay cash or check when I say I do not accept CC`s.

My thinking is that it will provide my business with more flexibility. I don`t have customers demanding credit card payments, but very few people carry around hundreds or thousands of dollars in cash. I don`t accept checks from first time customers so they only have the option to pay in cash which isn`t always convenient.

I would also like to get set up at car shows and take deposits for appointments. Credit card acceptance will make this a lot easier.

todd@bsaw
05-27-2008, 02:22 PM
There was an article I had read in Wired a couple years ago about billing done through text messaging services on your own cell phone provider. Just like all those dumb late night ads on television for ring tones or songs by "texting Bling to 555555", your client will be billed through their wireless company.

I haven`t heard anything about it recently, but it may be worth looking into. You can give the client your personal "text to" number and you will receive a confirmation on your own cell phone that it has been paid. It`s instantaneous.

As a matter of fact... I think I will look into this again to see if it has been adapted anymore.

brwill2005
05-27-2008, 02:52 PM
My thinking is that it will provide my business with more flexibility. I don`t have customers demanding credit card payments, but very few people carry around hundreds or thousands of dollars in cash. I don`t accept checks from first time customers so they only have the option to pay in cash which isn`t always convenient.

I would also like to get set up at car shows and take deposits for appointments. Credit card acceptance will make this a lot easier.

Don`t accept checks? I have taken hundreds of checks from customer`s and never had one not clear. I guess I should knock on wood:) If the cost is worth it to you, and your customers demand it, go for it.

imported_JoshVette
05-27-2008, 03:14 PM
Holden, I just reciently signed up with Capital 1 with a business account that allows me to accept credit card payments. It`s a free business checking account and I think they only take like 2% of the transaction and it`s all dial/pay. Basically you call it in over the phone and they give you an autorization #. It also come with a "knuckle buster" machine, the old fashion swipe it back and forth machine, but I never use it, just dial in and it`s all good.

Josh

Holden_C04
05-27-2008, 03:24 PM
Holden, I just reciently signed up with Capital 1 with a business account that allows me to accept credit card payments. It`s a free business checking account and I think they only take like 2% of the transaction and it`s all dial/pay. Basically you call it in over the phone and they give you an autorization #. It also come with a "knuckle buster" machine, the old fashion swipe it back and forth machine, but I never use it, just dial in and it`s all good.

Josh

All the good stuff is south of the border. :cry:

Capital One only provides credit cards up here. No checking/savings accounts of any kind. I`ve got a business account with TD Canada Trust so I`ll check what they have.

Holden_C04
05-27-2008, 03:25 PM
Don`t accept checks? I have taken hundreds of checks from customer`s and never had one not clear. I guess I should knock on wood:) If the cost is worth it to you, and your customers demand it, go for it.

I accept checks but not from first time customers. Too much risk from a first-time client.

757motoring
05-27-2008, 03:26 PM
Also when ever you have to pay that fee just charge it to the customer I know of a few businesses that do it that way. My boys tint shop he charges a few extra bucks if you use a card to cover the cost.

bwalker25
05-27-2008, 03:34 PM
^ +1 amen to than! :)

JonP
05-27-2008, 03:49 PM
Propay (http://www.propay.com/)is a good credit card processor. I used them for a few years (still do) and I like them. I never had any problems or any charge backs using them. I also accept Google checkout, I usually have the client send the funds to my account, verify payment, setup appointment or the client can send the payment to me at the time of appointment. I also accept checks. I used to accept PayPal, but not anymore.

Holden_C04
05-27-2008, 03:56 PM
Propay (http://www.propay.com/)is a good credit card processor. I used them for a few years (still do) and I like them. I never had any problems or any charge backs using them. I also accept Google checkout, I usually have the client send the funds to my account, verify payment, setup appointment or the client can send the payment to me at the time of appointment. I also accept checks. I used to accept PayPal, but not anymore.

Not available in Canada. :sadwavey:

imported_autocare
05-27-2008, 07:31 PM
How I process my customers that pay with credit cards.

I have an online store that sells detail supplies in my country through which I use paypal to accept credit cards. On a private access side of the store I have my detail services set up just like any other product I sell with its pricing scale. When the customer wants to pay by card I just access the store through a cell phone wireless internet connection on my laptop/or customers computer and have him purchase the service online just like he was purchasing wax or any other product.

I came up with this due to the problems I was faced with not having the ability to do cards. I had no option to process any other way actually.

All you need is an online store type software like oscommerce, paypal and a connection to the internet. I assume in North America there should be wireless internet through cell phone also.

I remember doing a detail for a vetenarian at his clinic and he was totally impressed that he had trouble processing cards from his clinic due to the system failing at times and I was able to do it from the trunk of his car with no problems.:sign

DutrowLLC
05-30-2008, 11:04 AM
What options are out there for processing credit cards/debit cards completely wireless? Ideally, I would like to use a Blackberry for processing transactions but the software I see for doing so costs $700. :nono

Costco offers a service and the regular (i.e. wired) one is like $25/month rent for the machine, 1.67% on swiped transactions for Visa and Mastercard, $0.08 per debit transaction, $25 application fee, and $5/month statement fee.

It`s not bad but I don`t know how much the wireless unit will be and how reliable service is.

What options are there?

I don`t have a lot of time to read all the relies, so forgive me if this is a repeat. But I would keep it simple and use an imprinter. Then process everything when I got home through the landline reader or Authorize.net.

I actually have a cell phone credit card reader and its one of the worst purchases I ever made. Just not worth it. Its not even that reliable.

Another option is if you have a laptop with mobile internet (through Sprint or Verizon or something), then you can just load up the laptop, connect to Autbhorize.net and process it through their. But really, I`d just use the imprinter, very simple, and you have physical records, and the customer can sign the receipt and stuff.

Chris

bwalker25
06-01-2008, 04:59 PM
that is a good idea however what happens if you get home and the CC is denied? Any other ideas on processing credit cards?