PDA

View Full Version : Faded Wrangler Flares - Krylon Paint or Black Wow?

sexmoneydrugs
05-25-2008, 11:05 AM
I have a 2000 Wrangler which I`ve kept in good condition - other than the flares, which are notorious for fading to a milky grey. I`ve tried Back to Black, etc. - it lasts maybe 2 weeks or the first rain, whichever comes first, and they`re back to looking like crap again.

Is Black WOW really a miracle cure for this, or just another temporary fix?

In the Jeep forums, the suggestion is to spray paint with Krylon Fusion.

My experience with other "back to black" products is that the flares suck in copious amounts of the fluid before even beginning to regain their original color - and even after a whole bottle, there`s still residual cloudiness to some extent.

At $25 for 4 oz., I`d give it a shot if it actually works with small amounts long term. But if it`s just a temporary fix, I`ll probably go with the spray paint.

Does the Black Wow actually reverse the oxidation and restore - or is it just a temporary coating?

Thanks for any info.

salty
05-25-2008, 12:39 PM
I`ve used this a few times, it works very well and is fairly easy to use. Not sure if it lasts the 24 months they say, but never heard back from the customers and I gave them a one year warranty, so i guess that`s good.

Exterior Trim Repair Kit (E.T.R.) - Body Repair Products - Automotive International (http://www.autoint.com/autostore/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=40&idproduct=22)

sexmoneydrugs
05-25-2008, 12:55 PM
The Krylon is like $10. Removing the flares is supposedly a bit of a PITA - but I`d probably go with that over the $87 kit you mentioned.

So the Black WOW is pretty much worthless? It`s just another "shiner" - doesn`t actually reverse the oxidation? I`m also cross-posting this info to the Jeep forum. I`d include the URL here, but I don`t think I`m cleared on posting links yet.

Just about every Wrangler owner has this exact same problem with the worthless OEM flares.

The write-up over at AutoGeek seems to claim it`s a miracle cure - but they pretty much say everything they sell is the bomb.

JonP
05-25-2008, 01:06 PM
I have used Forever Black (http://www.foreverblack.com/) on many faded parts and they were still looking good a year later.

sexmoneydrugs
05-25-2008, 01:14 PM
Thanks - that`s much more reasonably priced. I don`t mind taking care of it once a year. I wasn`t too hyped on the spray paint.

I`ll wait a bit to see if there are any Black Wow fanatics before posting back to the Jeep forum. I linked them over here already - basically said you guys know as much about detailing as they do about Jeeps.

Again, this is a very common problem - I don`t think there`s any way to protect against it, at least not that I`ve heard.

abbeysdad
05-25-2008, 01:19 PM
Painting is kindof the last resort and I`m not sure how easy it is t get them off and you`d wanna be real careful painting them on the ride (or you just might be posting again asking how to get over spray off your paint!)

B2B is a good restorer, but not so much a UV protectant - I`ve had pretty good luck using

B2B to get the plastic black again, then use 303 Areospace Protectant to fight the UV. I don`t have any experiance with WOW, but it has some fans here.

sexmoneydrugs
05-25-2008, 01:25 PM
Again thanks for the great info. Maybe if I had used 303 from the beginning, it never would have happened?

I also have rubber that`s faded on the front bumpers - the bumpers themselves are actually black metal - I normally wax them - but the rubber parts are all greyish also.

I`d always thought ArmorAll was what I was supposed to use until I visited here the first time - now I know about this 303 stuff.

jimmybuffit
05-25-2008, 01:54 PM
The # 2 post is the correct solution.

Also, it is about time to watch for clearcoat failure, particularly on your hood.

We see lots of older Wranglers ( I don`t know why, we just do!).

Jim

BlueLibby04
05-25-2008, 05:38 PM
I would try... Heat...

Who needs paint, when you have HEAT!!!!! - JeepsUnlimited.com Forums (http://www.jeepsunlimited.com/forums/showthread.php?t=894549&highlight=faded+cladding)

sexmoneydrugs
05-25-2008, 06:14 PM
Ha - same Jeep forum. I`ve seen the heat trick mentioned, but there seemed to be a problem with very bad warping on the Wrangler flares with that method? Also, the Laredo in that post was a dark gray before, whereas mine are black.

On #2, at $90, it`s about 1/3 the cost of new flares - so it doesn`t sound like a very good investment on my end.

Also, my hood already had hail damage - I`ll probably do another post on that as it`s chipped a few places in the front. Other than here possibly, I doubt anyone can find a paint shop that does a decent job. Live and learn.

haper
05-25-2008, 08:57 PM
In the Jeep forums, the suggestion is to spray paint with Krylon Fusion.

i did the krylon (satin, not flat) process about 18 mths ago to daughters wrangler, just had to redo them this past week. i find the results much better then any `trim enhancer` out there. be sure to sand, apply paint thinner, sand, then multiple - multiple - multiple thin coats. krylon dries in 5 mins so once you`re done w/ all the flares just restart on the first one.

removing the flares was a huge PITA, most of the fasteners stripped out of the sheet metal. after spending an hr removing the front, i didn`t try the rears and just sprayed them while still on the jeep. this past time we left all of them on and used a lot of painters tape and newspaper - everything worked fine. i also removed and painted the rear bumper jugs, the rear license plate holder, the hood `hooks` and the gas tank surround.

as for black wow, i hear it is the best out there but someone tested it out on detailing bliss and found it only lasts 4 - 6 wks. another guy there has a detailed process to get it to last 6 mths, but i find painting is just easier.

Frito Bandito
05-25-2008, 09:11 PM
Try using Back To Black again then using Collinite 476s or 845 Insulator Wax on your trim. I`ve had great success with the trim on my 02 Silverado using that combo. I re-apply the wax every month or so and my trim stays looking brand new. Make sure you don`t leave the wax to haze over on your trim. Just wipe it on, then wipe it off.

salty
05-25-2008, 11:29 PM
The autoint ETR kit will do many cars and different color shades. Just figured I`d make that known.

docrice
05-26-2008, 12:11 AM
I`m sure reviews on Black Wow can be found by searching here as it`s been covered before. There`s a lot of inquires on restoring faded trim on this forum and others.

I use Black Wow sometimes and it`s not a miracle cure, and it certainly isn`t a permanent solution, but it lasts a month or two (or longer) depending on environment. I find Z-16 easier to apply, but it seems Black Wow lasts longer for me.

You could also try the shoe polish method. Do a search and you`ll come up with a lot of info on this.

sexmoneydrugs
05-26-2008, 12:40 AM
A search? But I`m trying to help impoverished children in third world countries, who so desperately need YOUR help. I blew all my time and cash buying Sally Struthers some really cool sunglasses and sweet boots so she could convince people like YOU that these children are worth your pity!!!! What - do you expect me to pay them to detail my car? That`s what you WOULD say - sure, they should detail cars, not be automatically provided high paying corporate jobs with great benefits - the same ones people like YOU enjoy. No you`d rather have them suffer and just keep them searching and searching...

Well I have had ENOUGH... Also, I`m drunk. So I`ll search tomorrow and stuff.

But what about the kids who won`t make it until tomorrow - that guilt, sir, shall be on YOUR head. While they search for food and water, you ask ME to search for products that might bring back that original shine to my Jeep Wrangler flares...

:getdown

That dancing banana makes me laugh. But starving children make me cry. And that`s the difference between you and me - I`d say "I" as that would be correct usage, but who CARES about correct usage when Sally Struthers is hungry and tired and keeps screaming at me about how hot and uncomfortable she is dealing with these starving children who don`t even drink coffee - but people send it to us and we`re like "No, that was a metaphor - we meant `for the price...`" - so what the hell are we supposed to do with these cases of Maxwell House?

:spot

I so think the banana would kicks his little butt. Also, I believe the following to be extremely lewd smilie erotica which should be banned immediately:

:bounce

And I wonder how long the forum admins spent trying to find this little guy - cuz he looks like he might be using a buffer of some sort:

:waxing:

It reads "waxing" - I remember when smilies were cool. Okay, no I don`t - nobody does. Later all.