PDA

View Full Version : Tried and failed! Can I get minor scratches out of my side glass windows???

chuckstang95
05-23-2008, 09:32 AM
I have some minor scratches but many of them on my passenger side window on my 07 mustang gt500, I tried the do it yourself kit that you hook up to a drill but all it did was make a mess, did not do anything with my scratches

Is there somethign else I can try that will not damage my glass?

I heard a glaze? Which one, what pad and speed and so on, any tips on what I could do or if there are professionals I could take it to that would be nice also, like perhaps a glass company that replaces and repairs windshields,

thanks!!!

mose
05-23-2008, 09:52 AM
Is there anyway you can get us a picture?

imported_cushdrive
05-23-2008, 10:26 AM
I doubt the drill will be able to turn enough rpms to cut glass (I can`t even get mine to cut aluminum). Have you tried a felt bob on a dremel?

chuckstang95
05-23-2008, 01:16 PM
Is there anyway you can get us a picture?

Sure can! Or I will try, they are very visable under my detailing light or direct sunlight

Best way to describe the way the look is just like swirls on my black paint but a bit worse, luckily not the whole window though.

thanks

chuckstang95
05-23-2008, 01:18 PM
I doubt the drill will be able to turn enough rpms to cut glass (I can`t even get mine to cut aluminum). Have you tried a felt bob on a dremel?

sorry I am not familiar????

okbeast
05-23-2008, 01:24 PM
A felt bob is just one of the little white cottony (but its felt) attachments for a Dremel, come in all shapes and sizes.

imported_PaPaHoFF
05-23-2008, 02:09 PM
You have the diamondite kit? It does work btw. Attach to your DA polisher and apply pressure with the first step and then let the 2nd step work itself in.

jesselyons2002
05-23-2008, 05:51 PM
I use the diamondite kit and it didn`t work. Use it with the Makita 9227 and Porter cable 7424

Downgear
05-24-2008, 12:41 AM
It can be done however i was told that when you do take a layer of the glass away it will appear wavy from the inside. If it really bothers you i would buy a new piece of glass or check your local auto wrecker for it used.

howareb
05-24-2008, 05:18 AM
It can be done however i was told that when you do take a layer of the glass away it will appear wavy from the inside. If it really bothers you i would buy a new piece of glass or check your local auto wrecker for it used.

+1.

Polishing glass can be done but usually you are just removing contaminents that are on the surface of the glass. The glass polishing kits that you find out there, are excellent at removing these typpe of glass issues (autoglym, zaino, ect.). As fas as removing scratches, I have had some luck using an LC Glass Polishing pad (it comes in LC glass polishing kit also) and the Diamondite kit. However correction was not 100% and the scratches were not that bad. One glass windsheild had spiderwebbing marks (believe it or not) and the kits did level them and it made the glass optically clearer that it was when I first started. I had the best luck using my rotary (Makita 1500-2000 rpm) on the glass, but the PC will work also.

So depending upon how fussy you are, I would probably just obtain another window and have it replaced if you are looking for 100% defect free glass. The kits are not going to make the glass 100% defect free, but it will make an imprrovement.

AL-53
05-24-2008, 03:03 PM
do a google search for cerium oxide glass polish...only stuff that wil remove lite scratches..it is what is used to polish glass on optics.....I got mine from Caswell plating in Ma....

around 35.00 for the kit and it works...compounds and stuff like it will not work...the abrasives do not cut glass that good...

Al

howareb
05-24-2008, 03:08 PM
do a google search for cerium oxide glass polish...only stuff that wil remove lite scratches..it is what is used to polish glass on optics.....I got mine from Caswell plating in Ma....

around 35.00 for the kit and it works...compounds and stuff like it will not work...the abrasives do not cut glass that good...

Al

Thanks for the heads up. I will give it a try.

chuckstang95
05-24-2008, 04:02 PM

Al

That sounds like a good idea thanks

What about trying a glass shop that does windshield replacements and glass repair, would they have the know how and tools for the job?

This sounds like it may be better for a pro :( I don`t wont to warp my glass or take too much off

I just had all the windows tinted today and now they are less noticeable due to the dark tint on the inside, that was a nice added bonus I guess

chuckstang95
05-24-2008, 11:08 PM
What about taking it to a glass repair shop that does windshield replacements and repairs? Woul they have the know how and products?

This sounds like a job for a pro perhaps, it little bit more risky than just buffing your paint