PDA

View Full Version : Polish/Glaze question for 99 Viper/ 2005 Tacoma

mini viper
05-21-2008, 11:23 PM
Hi everyone!

I recently purchased my dreamcar, a Black/Silver Dodge Viper GTS ACR and have been lurking on this forum for a few weeks learning what I need to buy to properly detail my new toy. My main questions are regarding glaze and polish for both vehicles but primarily the Viper.

What Menzerna polishes should I buy, I`ve seen people buy IP and FPII or SIP and 106... Considering the SIP is twice the price of the IP, do I need it. As I understand it the SIP and 106 are for ceramiclears which I`m sure the Viper is not. I will be buying a Flex and the orange, white, and black LC pads to go with it.

For the glaze I have read the rave reviews layering DWG and UPGP, however, can you do the same with EZ-Creme Glaze II (I`m trying to minimize the number of places I order things from).

I`ll post my other purchases to see if I did well or not (never imagined dropping so much money on detailing stuff :eek: ) :

2 bucket method w/ grit guard - purchased

Chenille Wash Mitts - purchased

Used 2400 psi, 2.5 gpm Honda powered pressure washer - purchased

Foam cannon - Pending purchase

Meguiars Gold Class Soap - purchased

Leafblower (200mph) - purchased

Microfiber (Eurow) - Pending purchase

Claymagic blue - Purchased

Flex - Pending purchase

LC Pads 4 Orange, 4 White, 2 Black - Pending purchase (package with Flex, is this a good ratio for the pads?)

Polish - Pending purchase (see question above)

Glaze - Pending purchase (see question above)

LSP UPGP - Purchased

Ultima Tire/Trim - Purchased

Stoner`s Invisible Glass - Purchased

Eagle One Wheel - Purchased (Can this damage rims??, if so will only be used on truck)

Meguiars Gold Class Leather C/C - Purchased

Let me know if I`m on the right track or if I`ve made any goofs, I`d rather not re-purchase anything if possible.

Thanks for the help!

mini viper
05-22-2008, 05:41 PM
Shameless bump, I`m sure someone can help out...should I post this in the Products forum?

White_07_G6_GT
05-22-2008, 05:50 PM
Posting pictures of the current state of the viper would help but SIP and 106 will clear up most any surface problem.

The rest of your list looks great, as from where to buy from I only get my stuff from one place eshine.ca but there is a post around here somewhere which list where people are getting their products from.

Way2SSlow
05-22-2008, 05:58 PM
Hi everyone!

I recently purchased my dreamcar, a Black/Silver Dodge Viper GTS ACR and have been lurking on this forum for a few weeks learning what I need to buy to properly detail my new toy. My main questions are regarding glaze and polish for both vehicles but primarily the Viper.

Congrats!!! That`s an awesome ride! Can I drive it? :D

What Menzerna polishes should I buy, I`ve seen people buy IP and FPII or SIP and 106... Considering the SIP is twice the price of the IP, do I need it. As I understand it the SIP and 106 are for ceramiclears which I`m sure the Viper is not. I will be buying a Flex and the orange, white, and black LC pads to go with it.

I`ve been screwing around for the last few years with products other than Menzerna. I think you can get the job done without Menzerna; however, I have 106ff on the way and I`ll be ordering SIP soon. The bug has finally bitten me after everyone constantly beating me with the Menzerna is best statements. That`s me though, the best way to attack it, IMO, is to experiment with the cheaper stuff first and if it doesnt do the job, then pull the trigger on the more expensive stuff. IP may fix your defects and then you saved the money on SIP. If IP would have done it and you bought the SIP, then you`ve spent extra cash. What it really comes down to is how good your technique is with a product. If you know what you`re doing you can get better results with the lesser product (if it`s capable of giving them).

For the glaze I have read the rave reviews layering DWG and UPGP, however, can you do the same with EZ-Creme Glaze II (I`m trying to minimize the number of places I order things from).

A glaze isnt really a necessary step. You could save money here for the other stuff. If you want a glaze, more power to ya, but it`s not really needed. A good finishing polish will finish down nice enough that glazing may not be worth the effort. YMMV on that one. Opinions are like....well you know the rest.

I`ll post my other purchases to see if I did well or not (never imagined dropping so much money on detailing stuff :eek: ) :

2 bucket method w/ grit guard - purchased

Chenille Wash Mitts - purchased

Used 2400 psi, 2.5 gpm Honda powered pressure washer - purchased

Foam cannon - Pending purchase

Meguiars Gold Class Soap - purchased

Leafblower (200mph) - purchased

Microfiber (Eurow) - Pending purchase

Claymagic blue - Purchased

Flex - Pending purchase

LC Pads 4 Orange, 4 White, 2 Black - Pending purchase (package with Flex, is this a good ratio for the pads?)

Polish - Pending purchase (see question above)

Glaze - Pending purchase (see question above)

LSP UPGP - Purchased

Ultima Tire/Trim - Purchased

Stoner`s Invisible Glass - Purchased

Eagle One Wheel - Purchased (Can this damage rims??, if so will only be used on truck)

Meguiars Gold Class Leather C/C - Purchased

Grit guard is great. I prefer sheepskin mits over Chenille, but I just got a new Chenille to try out. The foam cannon looks cool...I dont wash with a pressure washer, but I do have a foam gun. I think the pressure washer ones work better. Gold Class is a solid soap. As far as the Eurow microfiber, I have no experience with them, but there are all kinds of deals to be had on microfiber. I think it`s one of those things that you just need to try some to find out which you like for which job. You`re covered with those pads and the Flex is the machine I would go with if I had it to do over today. Orange and White will be your workhorses. I just use Quick Detailer on glass, but since you`ve already got the glass cleaner, you`re good. The wheel cleaner SHOULD be alright, but I`d try to clean the wheels with the Gold Class shampoo first and see how much you can get off without the cleaner. If some dirt remains, then you can try the wheel cleaner. Megs leather stuff is pretty good. That last paragraph may not be the easiest to read, but I hope it helps some....

mini viper
05-22-2008, 06:58 PM
Picture of car when it was still clean, will wash it and try to take a picture of the paint to see the swirls. I would say they are very fine swirls as the previous owner detailed the car relatively well (nowhere near as good as the people here, however).

Thanks for the responses so far :) .

http://gallery.viperclub.org/uploads/29444/IMG_3432_compressed.jpg

Gopher
05-22-2008, 09:53 PM
looks like a solid list which you can make due just fine with.

You may want to pick up a nice quick detailer, drying towel and some little brushes, but theres always time for it. List looks good. Congrats on buying your dream car.

mini viper
05-22-2008, 10:38 PM
Any of the OTC quick detailers good? I bought a large microfiber drying towel and have some "bag of rags" microfiber towels for the windows, trim, and wheels. Bought what looked like a toothbrush as filler for free shipping on autopia (forgot to mention that). Will hopefully post pic soon, but due to being a noob it has to be approved by a moderator.

Way2SSlow
05-23-2008, 05:50 AM
Any of the OTC quick detailers good? I bought a large microfiber drying towel and have some "bag of rags" microfiber towels for the windows, trim, and wheels. Bought what looked like a toothbrush as filler for free shipping on autopia (forgot to mention that). Will hopefully post pic soon, but due to being a noob it has to be approved by a moderator.

Mother`s showtime is a good OTC quick detailer. You should be able to get away with any Megs QD as well. They`ve all seemed pretty decent.

White_07_G6_GT
05-23-2008, 06:40 AM
I`ve used megs quick detailer for the past two years and it`s worked well with three different brands of clay.

mini viper
05-23-2008, 05:31 PM
Dang, should have bought some when I was at Wal-mart. Guess I`ll get it when I get the 3M blue tape (assuming they carry it). I assumed both Megs and Mothers were ok, but I`ve seen people write so many rave reviews about ONR I thought I might possibly order some of that.

Anyone know if Ultima Tire and Trim can be used to seal the rim as well as the tire, or should I use something else?