PDA

View Full Version : compare onr qd strength vs oid

Pages : [1] 2 3

tarponteaser
05-21-2008, 06:57 AM
Morning all,

The ONR sounds like a great product for multiple uses. Can someone who has used both the ONR at Quick Detail strength and the Optimum Instant Detail and Gloss enhancer tell me how they compare?

The mixing ratio and pricing obviously make the ONR a better value about 47 cents per qt for the ONR mix versus 4.99/ qt for the Optimum Instant Quick detail(especially if one has the ONR for washing anyways).

The vehicles I will be using the product on are treated with the UPGP, if that has any bearing on the matter.

Thanks for any insight

Gemini13
05-21-2008, 08:22 AM
Are you trying to add to the look or is this for general cleaning??

imported_mobenzowner
05-21-2008, 08:28 AM
IMO, the ONR at qd strength is better at cleaning, while the OID is slicker and glossier.(and smells better lol) I use and love both. hth

Gemini13
05-21-2008, 08:36 AM
IMO, the ONR at qd strength is better at cleaning, while the OID is slicker and glossier.(and smells better lol) I use and love both. hth

x2. Thats why I asked the question I did. ONR for cleaning and OID for looks. IMO get 32oz of both.

tarponteaser
05-21-2008, 12:20 PM
Valid questions guys,

I never used a QD before I received my intro package of Ultima products. I finished the small bottle of the Ultima QD in between the first and second layer of the UPGP this past weekend and liked the quick clean up of a relatively clean truck.

My main goal is prepping a big truck (crew cab F250) when I want multiple layers of UPGP. Additional uses are for routine light cleaning in between regular washes. i.e salt mist from the beach , overspray from neighbor`s sprinkler, minor road dirt from puddles or wet roads. Oh, and lest I forget....bird bombs and bugs.

For now I plan on just getting 1 gallon of ONR cause I want it for doing the rinseless wash and I found a place that sells it with no shipping or tax to my Florida address. I guess I was wondering what I would be `missing if I used the ONR recipe for QD versus the specific QD formula. The UPGP really makes the truck shine....perhaps too much cause when I take a photo with the zoom , the reflection shows the orange peel effect in the paint that you do not see without full zoom.

Thanks for the feedback, this is a go to place for detailing info.

Legacy
05-21-2008, 12:47 PM
Valid questions guys,

I never used a QD before I received my intro package of Ultima products. I finished the small bottle of the Ultima QD in between the first and second layer of the UPGP this past weekend and liked the quick clean up of a relatively clean truck.

My main goal is prepping a big truck (crew cab F250) when I want multiple layers of UPGP. Additional uses are for routine light cleaning in between regular washes. i.e salt mist from the beach , overspray from neighbor`s sprinkler, minor road dirt from puddles or wet roads. Oh, and lest I forget....bird bombs and bugs.

For now I plan on just getting 1 gallon of ONR cause I want it for doing the rinseless wash and I found a place that sells it with no shipping or tax to my Florida address. I guess I was wondering what I would be `missing if I used the ONR recipe for QD versus the specific QD formula. The UPGP really makes the truck shine....perhaps too much cause when I take a photo with the zoom , the reflection shows the orange peel effect in the paint that you do not see without full zoom.

Thanks for the feedback, this is a go to place for detailing info.Use the ONR for quick clean up and use the OID or FK425 for gloss and slickness.

Mindflux
05-21-2008, 12:57 PM
This thread is great! I was just having a discussion with SuperBee last night about economical QD`s, wanting to use my 32oz container of ONR for QD. This yields (at 6oz per gallon); 6 gallons of QD. Most economical for 15 dollars.

Gemini13
05-21-2008, 01:14 PM
This thread is great! I was just having a discussion with SuperBee last night about economical QD`s, wanting to use my 32oz container of ONR for QD. This yields (at 6oz per gallon); 6 gallons of QD. Most economical for 15 dollars.

You can whip up a gallon of clay lube as well. IIRC its 2oz per gallon. ONR is the shizzy. :D

Gemini13
05-21-2008, 01:20 PM
I guess I was wondering what I would be `missing if I used the ONR recipe for QD versus the specific QD formula.

Well the ONR at QD strength will be a better cleaner than OID. The ONR QD does contain polymers so it will enhance the slickness and gloss of your finish but not as well as OID. Thats why I said get both use ONR as a cleaning QD/Clay lube/wash and OID as a beauty QD if you will. Honestly the 32oz OID for $20 will yield a gallon of QD and IMO its a great value. A little goes along way.

tarponteaser
05-21-2008, 01:33 PM
The economy of the ONR QD recipe got my attention too. The truck has a large surface area and I`ll probably apply the QD liberally for maximum lubrication to avoid marring from surface contaminants while wiping down. I think I can afford $1.87/gallon for the ONR QD recipe.

hmm...Anyone try mixing the ONR QD recipe 50:50 with the Optimum Instant Detail and Gloss Enhancer?? That would produce a hybrid QD product with a theoretical cost of $10.93/gallon (2.73/qt) if the ONR is 39.99/gallon and the IDGE concentrate is 19.99/qt . Would that provide the cleaning and the gloss or would the mix be imcompatible??

On another note, what is the durability of the instant detail and gloss enhancer?

Mindflux
05-21-2008, 02:12 PM
You can whip up a gallon of clay lube as well. IIRC its 2oz per gallon. ONR is the shizzy. :D

If 6oz per Gal makes a QD, I don`t think there`s any way in hell I`d use 2oz per gal to make a Clay Lube.

imported_mobenzowner
05-21-2008, 02:25 PM
hmm...Anyone try mixing the ONR QD recipe 50:50 with the Optimum Instant Detail and Gloss Enhancer?? That would produce a hybrid QD product with a theoretical cost of $10.93/gallon (2.73/qt) if the ONR is 39.99/gallon and the IDGE concentrate is 19.99/qt . Would that provide the cleaning and the gloss or would the mix be imcompatible??

I asked a similar question as above, but didnt really get any response. Maybe I`ll have to mix a small "hybrid" batch and see what happens.

DM101
05-21-2008, 02:31 PM
To me you are not comparing apples to apples. ONR is to me a wash product. OID is a quick shine look good product and a good one.

Rob Tomlin
05-21-2008, 02:45 PM
To me you are not comparing apples to apples. ONR is to me a wash product. OID is a quick shine look good product and a good one.

And I will finally be trying it out today (thanks again Legacy99!) as my wife finally remembered to buy some distilled water at the grocery store!

Bert
05-21-2008, 02:50 PM

My guess is you would make a concoction which doesn`t clean as well as pure ONR QD and doesn`t shine as well as pure OID but does an OK job of each. I would just assume use each individually.