PDA

View Full Version : Gilmour Foam gun and Citrus W&G

Pages : [1] 2

rjom
05-20-2008, 05:13 PM
I do feel a bit like a dunce, and need some assistance. I have read many threads on foam guns, shampoos etc. but am still a bit confused. I just purchased the Gilmour Foamaster II, and Chemical Guy CW&G. I realize (after purchase) that CW&G will strip existing protection in higher concentrations. I want to use it in the foam gun for routine washing. The correct ratio for this would be 1oz/gallon. Stripping would be 2oz/gallon.

The instructions on the foam gun say to load the bottle with soap concentrate (does not say anything about diluting the product). Then I would set the setting to A: 1oz per gallon. Some have told me to mix a solution of 1/4 oz CWG to 32 oz water...this would seem to be a miniscule ratio in addition to the setting on the dial. Should I dilute CW&G in the bottle, or not? If so, what ratio?

Does anyone use CW&G and a Gilmour foammaster II combination that can offer assistance? Or should I just not use this product in the foam gun? It advertises that it is good for foam guns, but I do not want to lose the LSP with each wash. Thanks, Rick.

BigJimZ28
05-20-2008, 05:17 PM
Well, here`s the thing. For me, I always thought the idea would be to get the same ratio/dilution coming out of the gun that you would get in your bucket (typically 1oz/gal). So to get that with my quart-sized reservoir, I typically put in 8oz of soap, and fill it with water, so that it`s 1/4 soap. I then put the gun on the middle setting (4oz per gallon), which, if my math is correct, should give me 1oz/gallon out the nozzle.

As you noted, others seem to use way way less soap, while others seem to perhaps use more (I bought some of that DP Xtreme Foam, and their label directions come out to 6oz/gallon at the nozzle, although they tell you if you are using a bucket to use 1oz/gal...gee, do you think you`ll have good foam at 6oz/gal?)

Also, when I use a shampoo that doesn`t suds much (Turtle Wax from Big Lots, or the original Sonus Gloss, although nothing really helped that) I notch it over a bit to get perhaps 2oz/gal at the nozzle.

Oops, that brings up something else. Part of the reason for doing the 3:1 dilution is that thick soaps like Meg`s GC or NXT won`t draw properly up the siphon tube, so you need to dilute them. The cheap TW is thin and I use that in the cup straight.

Hope I haven`t confused you more than helped.

try a search?

rjom
05-20-2008, 05:27 PM
So, with that math, I could dilute 50% concentrate, 50% water; use setting 2oz/gallon. This would also be the equivilant of 1oz/gallon also. The dilution would be helpful for the siphoning action. CG&W is quite thick, so I might have to play with the dilution ration for that purpose. Or I could first try it straight, no dilution, and set to 1oz /gallon and see how that works.

But would you agree that diluting 1/4 oz to 32 oz makes absolutely no sense given the 1oz/gallon settings on the dial? This is what has been confusing me, as others have tried to be helpful in answering my question.

BigJimZ28
05-20-2008, 05:34 PM
I could be wrong but I think you misread the 1/4oz

in the 32oz bottle if you use 8oz(1/4 OF THE BOTTLE)

then fill with water and use the "C" setting it will give you the ratio of 1oz/Gal

BigAl3
05-20-2008, 05:37 PM
according to the website...

Extremely concentrated and highly versatile 1/2 oz mixes with 1-2 gallons of water for a superior wash.

As a paintwork cleanser dilute 2oz with 1 gallon water for superior surface cleaner to remove built up grime and leftover wax.

try mixing a 1/2 or 1 ounce to a one gallon water jug and use it from that...

rjom
05-20-2008, 05:39 PM
Yes, that is what I was thinking. I couldn`t understand why someone would tell me to dilute that much in the bottle. Did not make sense to me.

BigJimZ28
05-20-2008, 05:43 PM

Extremely concentrated and highly versatile 1/2 oz mixes with 1-2 gallons of water for a superior wash.

As a paintwork cleanser dilute 2oz with 1 gallon water for superior surface cleaner to remove built up grime and leftover wax.

I don`t think that would be enough soap

@ the highest setting "E" 10:1 the final out put would be

like using 1/2 or 1 oz per TEN Gallons of water

rjom
05-20-2008, 05:44 PM

But that is where I am getting confused. The settings on the gun are all mixtures from 1oz/gal to 12 oz/gallon, with the exception of "off. Wouldn`t diluting it that much in the bottle, and using the settings dilute it way too much?

BigAl3
05-20-2008, 06:12 PM
i was thinking that since the CW&G was so concentrated, you can use less. try mixing a few ounces into the container and go from there...

jb1
05-20-2008, 06:16 PM
I just take 16 oz. of CW&G and add 16 oz. of water. I fill the foam gun with that and set it on the 1 oz/gallon setting. I go through a lot more product since I first do a pre-soak (then rinse) Then as I wash each panel I`m constantly flooding it with the soap mixture. Overkill I`m sure, but it fits *my* personal routine.

rjom
05-20-2008, 06:24 PM
Great, thanks all. I think I`ve got it. Will experiment with your suggestions. Appreciate the responses. Rick

NickMach1
05-22-2008, 08:06 AM
Please let me know what works out for ya, I`m curious because I know the citrus wash is pretty strong stuff.

rjom
05-22-2008, 10:34 AM
Please let me know what works out for ya, I`m curious because I know the citrus wash is pretty strong stuff.

I will do that. While I appreciate all the responses I have been getting, on a couple of different forums, they are all over the place. It seems that the ratio instructions are not easily, or at least consistently, understood. Given the range, I may start by mixing 1oz/32oz mixture and see what the foam is like. There is probably no better way than to experiment myself. Starting at the lowest recommendation to be sure I do not strip LSP. But also want to make sure of lubricosity for clean wash with mitt.

Accumulator
05-22-2008, 12:00 PM
I..There is probably no better way than to experiment myself. Starting at the lowest recommendation to be sure I do not strip LSP. But also want to make sure of lubricosity for clean wash with mitt.

FWIW, and noting that I know *nothing* about the Citrus W & G, I`ve found that some mighty diluted shampoo mixes work fine with the foamgun.

With ~6 oz. of Griot`s Car Wash per gallon (mixed in a jug, I fill the foamgun from that), I can often use the foamgun`s weakest setting. And this is a considerably *stronger* mix than I used to use.

rjom
05-22-2008, 12:46 PM
FWIW, and noting that I know *nothing* about the Citrus W & G, I`ve found that some mighty diluted shampoo mixes work fine with the foamgun.

With ~6 oz. of Griot`s Car Wash per gallon (mixed in a jug, I fill the foamgun from that), I can often use the foamgun`s weakest setting. And this is a considerably *stronger* mix than I used to use.

Thanks for the info. Citrus W&G is very thick, and concentrated. I appreciate hearing about your experience with the diluted product and how it works in the gun.