PDA

View Full Version : What wood polish??

Saleenfan
05-19-2008, 03:37 PM
What do you guys use to dress/maintain wood trim on the interior?? BTW I dont plan on using it for car interiors but actually the neck of my taylor acoustic guitar.

Legacy
05-19-2008, 03:42 PM
What do you guys use to dress/maintain wood trim on the interior?? BTW I dont plan on using it for car interiors but actually the neck of my taylor acoustic guitar.Does it not have a urethane finish as with Auto finishes?

Saleenfan
05-19-2008, 03:45 PM
Does it not have a urethane finish as with Auto finishes?

honestly I have no idea!

DinoV
05-19-2008, 04:04 PM
this is from a guy with a wealth of knowledge. Hope its ok to quote him here. The wood part is towards the bottom. Look up his posts, for a ton of info.

TOGWT

Interiors:

All kinds of dust, fumes, smoke and dirt builds up inside of a cars interior, much of it is brought in by the driver and passengers, but traffic fumes and air-borne dirt enters via the vehicles ventilation system.

Every single interior surface is affected. Periodically it needs to be thoroughly cleaned to remove pollutants and preserve the original surfaces, ensuring the vehicles like-new condition. The surfaces involved in this cleaning are; glass, vinyl, leather, plastics, fabric, carpets and various acrylic surfaces. (See Section 10)

To remove stains the surface tension that bonds them must be released, then the stain encapsulated and held in suspension to be removed. I’m repeatedly asked which product is the best interior cleaner. There is no one-product answer; as the so-called all purpose cleaners (APC) do not remove every stain, different stains require different solvents to remove them.

When cleaning a stain, try detergent and water first. If this does not remove the stain, then try a stronger type cleaner) once fabric is clean apply a fabric protection (303TM High Tech Fabric Guard)

Between these cleaners you should be able to remove 99% of stains occurring in a vehicle and around the home – Start with a 10:1 solution and decrease dilution as necessary;

303â„¢ Rug / Upholstery Cleaner & Spot Remover

P21S Total Auto Wash (its active ingredient is d-limonene (citrus) a safe all purpose cleaner (APC)

Woolite® Heavy Traffic Carpet Foam or Hoover Deep Cleansing Carpet/Upholstery Detergent

Folex Instant Carpet Spot Remover

PVC – a solution of Woolite and distilled water or a citrus-based cleaner and water to remove stains use 1Z Cockpit Premium as a matte finish dressing.

Plastic - Plexus, BTIâ„¢ Chemicals Plastic Polish & Cleaner

Leather – a solution of Woolite and distilled water and Zaino Z-10 as a conditioner

Washable surfaces - Distilled water / Woolite 10:1 or 303 Cleaner & Spot Remover â„¢

Glass surfaces - Stoner`s Invisible Glass and a (Norwex) glass cleaning cloth with a super tight knit.

Wood surfaces – Klasse or Zaino All-In-One (AIO)

Ultra violet protection for all interior surfaces- 303â„¢ Aerospace Protectant

Sorry didnt read the part about being for a guitar.

VroomVroom
05-19-2008, 04:55 PM
What model Taylor do you have? This may help:

Taylor Guitars | FAQs Answers (http://www.taylorguitars.com/guitars/reference/faqs_answers.html#faq14)

Taylor Guitars | FAQs Answers (http://www.taylorguitars.com/guitars/reference/faqs_answers.html#faq25)

I was a musician (electric bass...if you`re really bored: lownote.org - Jerry Burdick, electric bass (http://www.lownote.org)) for many years before I found an interest in detailing, so I appreciate the desire to take good care of your instrument. The Ken Smith stuff, by the way, is pretty darn good. That said, depending on the finish on my instruments, I do generally use automotive products on them. I`ll second the notion for Klasse AIO, although I generally apply two coats of sealant on the finish after doing any polishing. That said, not all guitar necks have any type of finish on them, and a lot of acoustic guitars use lacquer on the top and sometimes sides, so your mileage may vary.

Saleenfan
05-19-2008, 08:24 PM
What model Taylor do you have? This may help:

Taylor Guitars | FAQs Answers (http://www.taylorguitars.com/guitars/reference/faqs_answers.html#faq14)

Taylor Guitars | FAQs Answers (http://www.taylorguitars.com/guitars/reference/faqs_answers.html#faq25)

I was a musician (electric bass...if you`re really bored: lownote.org - Jerry Burdick, electric bass (http://www.lownote.org)) for many years before I found an interest in detailing, so I appreciate the desire to take good care of your instrument. The Ken Smith stuff, by the way, is pretty darn good. That said, depending on the finish on my instruments, I do generally use automotive products on them. I`ll second the notion for Klasse AIO, although I generally apply two coats of sealant on the finish after doing any polishing. That said, not all guitar necks have any type of finish on them, and a lot of acoustic guitars use lacquer on the top and sometimes sides, so your mileage may vary.

Thanks for the links i have a taylor acoustic electric 412 ce with the satin finish so its a good thing you posted that.... I must have completely missed that stuff because i looked through the FAQ`s on their site. O well Thanks again!

wfedwar
05-19-2008, 08:28 PM
I was thinking about trying NXT 2.0 myself because of its filling.

Saleenfan
05-19-2008, 09:50 PM
I was thinking about trying NXT 2.0 myself because of its filling.

I put that on my yamaha and it looks great

imported_detailjohn
05-19-2008, 10:19 PM
I use pledge. It works great on wood.

John

jesselyons2002
05-20-2008, 12:38 AM
How about the stuff Finish kare sales or swisswax ???

Eisen Hulk
05-20-2008, 07:02 AM
I`m looking for a really good wood polish for interiors as well. I worked on a 2006 BMW 525 this weekend that as the black wood interior...it was lightly scratched, and I could have really used a nice polish for that.

VroomVroom
05-20-2008, 08:09 AM
^ I haven`t done a BMW, but on Audi, Mercedes, and Lexus wood trim I`ve found that Poorboy`s Pro Polish is terrific. Gentle, but just tough enough. I can`t remember where I read this, but folks in-the-know recommend a chemical polish over an abrasive one. I follow up the polish with either FMJ or UPP and the results seem really good - cosmetic happiness and, based on subsequent inspections, durable protection.

Eisen Hulk
05-20-2008, 09:16 AM
Many thanks.

I also see that people are using FP and UF for wood polishing.

I`ll check out the PB`s Pro Polish.

^ I haven`t done a BMW, but on Audi, Mercedes, and Lexus wood trim I`ve found that Poorboy`s Pro Polish is terrific. Gentle, but just tough enough. I can`t remember where I read this, but folks in-the-know recommend a chemical polish over an abrasive one. I follow up the polish with either FMJ or UPP and the results seem really good - cosmetic happiness and, based on subsequent inspections, durable protection.

MBZ 500E
05-25-2008, 03:50 PM
Try Cory`s Ultra High Gloss Piano Polish. Spray it onto a Microfiber made for glass and wipe it on the finished wood. Let it dry and buff to a high gloss. It will hide light scratches but nothing beyond that.

wfedwar
05-31-2008, 01:54 PM
The NXT 2.0 worked out very well. Filled a lot of the very light scratches with one application.